Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Gov, Boyd, Saad,
Young, Marchbank and Kemp will have to hold the fort until Weitering returns, hopefully a fit Z-Williams back too.

Marchy finally getting a kind run of injury from the footy gods was one of my highlights last season.

Years gone by I would have absolutely gone to the panic stations of Weiters missing such a chunk of the start of the season, but our depth and player development in the last couple of years has been bloody good and I am reasonably confident we can weather the storm until he returns.
Sam Durdin may be useful during Weiters recovery too. Agree with you though, I think we have the depth to fill the void.

I reckon Sam Durdin will get the nod over Young. Young would be fine, we know he can play Weitering's role pretty well, I just feel Durdin has probably moved past him. Keep hearing track watchers mention what a good job he does on our gun forwards.

Weitering misses the first month. That is Daniher, Lynch, Larkey and Amiss. If he misses another week add Walker to that list.

Really bad time to miss Weitering. Whoever comes in is jumping straight into the fire. But great opportunity for them to prove themselves against some of the game's best forward.

The other option for us, and it's a left field one. If we really miss Weitering and neither Young nor Durdin step up, we can always send McKay back. Reckon he would be an absolute gun key defender.

I reckon Sam Durdin will get the nod over Young. Young would be fine, we know he can play Weitering's role pretty well, I just feel Durdin has probably moved past him. Keep hearing track watchers mention what a good job he does on our gun forwards.

Weitering misses the first month. That is Daniher, Lynch, Larkey and Amiss. If he misses another week add Walker to that list.

Really bad time to miss Weitering. Whoever comes in is jumping straight into the fire. But great opportunity for them to prove themselves against some of the game's best forward.

The other option for us, and it's a left field one. If we really miss Weitering and neither Young nor Durdin step up, we can always send McKay back. Reckon he would be an absolute gun key defender.
if we can’t beat Richmond north and Freo without 1 player we can just forget the season

We should be fine

if we can’t beat Richmond north and Freo without 1 player we can just forget the season

We should be fine
Definitely. Control the midfield, defend as a team, job will get done even if these big guys kick a fair share of goals. It's definitely going to hurt more having Weitering out against some really good big forwards. But I still expect we should win.

Doubt McKay or even TDK play as defenders. Young or Durdin are decent enough to play a shutdown role

Assuming Gov, Boyd, Saad,
Young, Marchbank and Kemp will have to hold the fort until Weitering returns, hopefully a fit Z-Williams back too.

Marchy finally getting a kind run of injury from the footy gods was one of my highlights last season.

Years gone by I would have absolutely gone to the panic stations of Weiters missing such a chunk of the start of the season, but our depth and player development in the last couple of years has been bloody good and I am reasonably confident we can weather the storm until he returns.

No Newman?

I think these players fit firing at their best are our most important to our team for different reasons…

1. Weitering
2. Charlie
3. McKay
4. Walsh
5. Cripps

6. Martin
7. Saad
8. Acres
9. Cerra
10. Docherty

I would have combo Pitto/TDK in there somewhere.

Weird I know, but it's essential we have one of those lads fit and firing at any point in the season.

Tommy Boy's stocks are rising highly though, aside from one or two lapses, his form since signing that contact extension last season was extraordinary

Took my eldest (can you believe he's SIX now!) to the Charlie's Crew session today. There were about 100 kids there aged from 4 -14.
I wasn't expecting much but WOW they were amazing! All the players were really gracious and kind to the kids, it ran like a well oiled machine, and I reckon every child there left absolutely beaming.

We were able to get some autographs at the end (skipped the lines for SOS, Charlie and Crippa because they would have taken FOREVER) and were given two signed Charlie posters, a hat, a puzzle and stickers on our way out.

It was so much fun to watch my son's face light up because of Carlton. What a great day.

I took my 10 year old to the arvo session. Every player smiled and posed for photos in addition to singing his Jumper. TDK, Cunners, Gov, Walsh, Silvagni, Cripps, Acres, Durdins x 2, Hewitt, Owies, Doc, Cinc, Mircov. Everyone a star. Missed Charlie, Saad and Harry as we ran out time, but my boy has never been so happy. I know this stuff must be a chore and a distraction to these guys, but you would never know it. Love them, love the club.

I would have combo Pitto/TDK in there somewhere.

Weird I know, but it's essential we have one of those lads fit and firing at any point in the season.

Tommy Boy's stocks are rising highly though, aside from one or two lapses, his form since signing that contact extension last season was extraordinary
Fair enough, personally they are important players but nowhere near our top 10 players atm…
WE know what Pitto’s best is to the team, it’s TDK we would really benefit as a team more if he can start impacting games more regularly…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, personally they are important players but nowhere near our top 10 players atm…
WE know what Pitto’s best is to the team, it’s TDK we would really benefit as a team more if he can start impacting games more regularly…
If I can throw in some recency bias, TDK rose to the levels we needed in the back half of 2023. We can be well satisfied that he has shown the necessary improvement to give us some confidence that he will be in the top echelon of ruckmen for the foreseeable future.

I readily concede he did not finish off at his peak and was on the end of a game changing lesson from the Big O in the prelim. I saw enough through the latter half of the season to give him a pass mark, providing he does the work during the off season to reach a new zenith of fitness, game readiness and durability. He was a huge part of our charge in the back half of the season.

We must be mindful that for the last couple of seasons, both of our prime rucks have experienced injury setbacks, and neither has had the benefit of anything approaching a full pre season. Seemingly (touch wood) both have had uninterrupted pre season preparation. Not only is TDK ready for a full coming of age, Pitto seems to be finally over the effects of the Hodor knee. More power to Pitto for fronting up when Tom was unable to, despite being impaired. Pitto always offers a contest, but has done himself no favours with some “followers” who choose to disparage him for toiling while compromised.

Our ruck division is now healthy for the first time in recent history. Pitto has had some good patches as a largely lone hand while we have been patient with TDK’s development which was impeded by immaturity, Covid restrictions and some injuries. We now have two healthy AFL standard rucks with varying strengths, one of which has the potential to become a “star”, while the other bloke is a pillar of strength and combative, making those around him walk taller.

Thankfully we also have Hudson O’Keeffe who has only just turned 19, showing superb development and a now healthy next level tap ruck Mirkov, who has the chance to develop his game and stake a claim. The other possible piece is young Lemmey. If and when HL develops to AFL standard, he will need to spend time as a forward/ruck as third banana to Charlie and Harry for a couple/few years. Lemmey has shown good signs on the ball at the lower level and is likely to get scattered ruck minutes despite the likely presence of Mirkov and O’Keeffe in the twos, and some chance Pitto may find himself in the seconds on occasion. Presumably (for mine) the mobile O’Keeffe will have opportunity for development as a key forward and perhaps even in defence over the next couple of seasons while honing his ruck craft.

If I can throw in some recency bias, TDK rose to the levels we needed in the back half of 2023. We can be well satisfied that he has shown the necessary improvement to give us some confidence that he will be in the top echelon of ruckmen for the foreseeable future.

I readily concede he did not finish off at his peak and was on the end of a game changing lesson from the Big O in the prelim. I saw enough through the latter half of the season to give him a pass mark, providing he does the work during the off season to reach a new zenith of fitness, game readiness and durability. He was a huge part of our charge in the back half of the season.

We must be mindful that for the last couple of seasons, both of our prime rucks have experienced injury setbacks, and neither has had the benefit of anything approaching a full pre season. Seemingly (touch wood) both have had uninterrupted pre season preparation. Not only is TDK ready for a full coming of age, Pitto seems to be finally over the effects of the Hodor knee. More power to Pitto for fronting up when Tom was unable to, despite being impaired. Pitto always offers a contest, but has done himself no favours with some “followers” who choose to disparage him for toiling while compromised.

Our ruck division is now healthy for the first time in recent history. Pitto has had some good patches as a largely lone hand while we have been patient with TDK’s development which was impeded by immaturity, Covid restrictions and some injuries. We now have two healthy AFL standard rucks with varying strengths, one of which has the potential to become a “star”, while the other bloke is a pillar of strength and combative, making those around him walk taller.

Thankfully we also have Hudson O’Keeffe who has only just turned 19, showing superb development and a now healthy next level tap ruck Mirkov, who has the chance to develop his game and stake a claim. The other possible piece is young Lemmey. If and when HL develops to AFL standard, he will need to spend time as a forward/ruck as third banana to Charlie and Harry for a couple/few years. Lemmey has shown good signs on the ball at the lower level and is likely to get scattered ruck minutes despite the likely presence of Mirkov and O’Keeffe in the twos, and some chance Pitto may find himself in the seconds on occasion. Presumably (for mine) the mobile O’Keeffe will have opportunity for development as a key forward and perhaps even in defence over the next couple of seasons while honing his ruck craft.
I agree with everything that you have said, as you know I’m an massive TDK fan and i thought he managed to play at a really good level during most of the season particularly during the second half…

I thought that his all round growth was wonderful while most aspects of his game were really encouraging, his marking all round is the one thing that needs to improve to becoming a more consistent and complete player, he gets his hands on so many opportunities all over the ground but for some reason just doesn’t hang on to them…

The comment wasn’t a knock on him or not acknowledging his performances & development it was more in hope of him fixing up a few things in which can elevate his game to that next step…

Last edited:
I'm not sure Liddle was a whole lot different. Commercial growth, but friction between key staff as well.
Liddle was John the Baptist. Did some things well (memberships, off field divergence etc) and some not so well. Precursor to Cooky who does it all well.

Might not have been able to get rid of Letlean with Gill still at the helm. All in all its worked out extremely well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back