Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better off banning the morons instead of the alcohol.

There were 70k people there and those idiots shouldn't spoil it for everyone.

I wasn't sitting far from that fight, it was ridiculous...
Shocking thing for kids to see when they are along supporting their team. Those drunken ****heads are just self centred with no regard for anyone else.

Shocking thing for kids to see when they are along supporting their team. Those drunken ****heads are just self centred with no regard for anyone else.

Whilst I love a drop or ten … I cannot see the merit in allowing piss into the games. Its a passionate sport for supporters at the best of times … the worst of times. Alcohol and high strung emotions rarely work well in conjunction.

Whilst I love a drop or ten … I cannot see the merit in allowing piss into the games. Its a passionate sport for supporters at the best of times … the worst of times. Alcohol and high strung emotions rarely work well in conjunction.
Absolutely mate, I am no tea totaller either. And yep, it can get a bit emotional at the footy. Back in the days of standing areas in the outer it was a no go zone for kids/families for all the obvious reasons. Different time. Much more of a family environment nowadays and people expect a safe environment.

Its probably not just the grog, its all the other stuff that gets consumed, then copious amounts of grog on top that gets a them pumped up and over the top aggressive and oblivious to where they are and how they are behaving..... the bloody ice age.

How do people afford and have the patience to get absolutely tanked at the footy? Would be at least $100 down the tube + standing in line and everything. Sounds like more of a hassle than anything else. Just drink somewhere after.
I reckon most that get blotto are well on the way before they come through the gate. Kids do the same before going out clubbing cos of the price and inconvenience

Perhaps over time you will start to have to scan your ID as you enter games, that's one way to enforce the ban and potentially help with identifying thugs.

A licence scanner like some clubs have, where you scan it as you enter. I can see it as a privacy thing, but realistically, don't be an idiot and you don't have any issues. Just a shame that some individuals ruin the game/day for others.

Edit- Thinking further, have it as a system which goes across several sports - AFL, NRL, Cricket, Tennis, Netball. Make a real impact.

Last edited:
How do people afford and have the patience to get absolutely tanked at the footy? Would be at least $100 down the tube + standing in line and everything. Sounds like more of a hassle than anything else. Just drink somewhere after.
This is something I've often pondered whilst watching some yobs going backward & forward to the bar. With the cost of admission & invariably buying a pie, chips, etc, as well, it is a lot of money to be spent over the duration of a season.

I haven’t had a drink in over a year. Not by design, I’m just not really a drinker. If I go to the footy with a particular mate though, I will down a few beers every time and really enjoy my experience; it’s almost therapeutic. It is not required that others see the merit of my experience, lest they restrict my right to choose. Where do people get off even thinking they somehow have the right to do that?

Alcohol isn’t the issue here. It’s culture. I’ve lived in a big city with a big drinking culture. Could bar-hop til sunrise; or buy booze from the corner store 24/7 and sit on the sidewalk getting sloshed eating BBQ, no one would bat an eyelid. Never got in a scrap, never worried about a 2am shortcut home down a dark empty alley. Sadly, some Aussies have huge attitude problems and the drinking just makes it worse. I’m not sure why the focus is on anything other than holding people responsible for their themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m with you, what’s the point of drinking at the footy. You’re there to watch a game, if you want to drink go to the pub and watch the game.

Nothing worse than dealing with drinks at the footy or having drinks spilt on you.
The idiots get drunk beforehand.
I know it’s not fair to ruin it for everyone else that behaves themselves. Maybe each person is allowed a maximum of two to four drinks. A drink card of some sort. Scan a barcode.

Or random breath tests.

I really don’t have the answer.

One thing I do know is I haven’t been able to get to a game in ages.

There’s a couple of reasons

Main reason is I run my own construction company and barely get time to scratch myself and I struggle to even watch the games live on TV depending on time slot and have to rely on a recorded fox match and not hear the scores on the way home.

Secondary reason is the last few times I’d been to the footy the days had been ruined by drunks.
I was accosted once in the bathroom because I was wearing a Carlton jumper and on a seperate occasion my wife and I had beer spilt all over us by a group sitting directly behind, before the first bounce. So yeah they were probably tanked before they got there.

Because of the second reason (and wife was only there supporting me supporting my beloved blues) I have no-one to go with really as my fam support the filth (yuk) so I haven’t been in a long while which saddens me but hey, that’s life.

I’m not against alcohol by any means but it just reacts differently with some people all it takes is a couple of drinks to turn them into instant morons.

Ruining it for everyone else.

Last edited:
The merit for the AFL and alcohol is $ and catering to everyone’s needs, but mostly $.

I also used to be fond of a drop, not as much now.

I love a drink, before/during or after a game. I don’t partake when I take my son and neither do mates when they bring their kids a long but we will go and have counter meals at times prior to games with a pint or two. However when the kids aren’t there we will have a few everytime.

To me It’s pretty simple, people used to run onto the ground reasonably often usually when tanked however monetary fines over time became so expensive that it just does not happen anymore. So fine the idiots, start at a low amount (like $100) and then increase to where you find the sweet spot.

Not sure how you can police a ban on games but I guess the AFL are trying, it’s the message that it sends I suppose.

I stopped drinking this year (New Year's res) and the benefits to my life have been countless.

Better at work, less stressed, no Sunday aniexty, lost weight, more money, I'm just generally 10-15% happier all the time.

I'd spend close to $100 at the footy on that watered down booze every week and usually another $50-60 having a few before or after at a pub.

In my case booze was holding me back from being better.

Getting in a drunken brawl at the footy is an absolute low point for anyone, maybe they need a break too.

Carlton Draft never tasted better to me than when purchased from under the stands at Princes Park and consumed on the terraces while watching the Blues play in the '80s. Prices always seemed reasonable and somehow, beer at the footy seemed to have a special taste. But 2-3 was my limit - didn't want to miss too much game time queuing up to buy booze. You'd hear the roars of the crowd and be thinking "Dammit, what am I missing down here?" Generally I didn't like going during breaks though because there'd be too much of a mob.
These days, just a token beer if with a mate - one shout each. On principal, I just hate paying $7 for a plastic cup of cheap draft beer. For that you can get a schooner of a decent beer at the pub these days.

I don't understand how you can drink so much at the game. Yes it's 3 hours or so, but the amount of football you'd miss going back and forth confuses me. You'd be missing at least a qtr of the game.

I usually have 2. Not by design, just how it works out. 1 perhaps heading off just before qtr time (beat the crowd) and then another towards the end of half time so I have a drink during the 3rd qtr.

I stopped drinking this year (New Year's res) and the benefits to my life have been countless.

Better at work, less stressed, no Sunday aniexty, lost weight, more money, I'm just generally 10-15% happier all the time.

I'd spend close to $100 at the footy on that watered down booze every week and usually another $50-60 having a few before or after at a pub.

Getting in a drunken brawl at the footy is an absolute low point for anyone, maybe they need a break too.
Ha! You couldn't get a more putrid beer with the crap on tap at both grounds, like your post I've been off it since January 6th except having 3 at a local with a couple of mates after the Collingwood game on the way home , just felt like having a spell for a while the benefits of it have been great...

Last edited:

I recall Robert Mitchums quote about people who don’t drink :

“When you wake up in the morning that’s as good as you are going to feel all day !!”.

I also asked my doctor if I give up drinking will it make me live longer ?

He said “no - but it will seem longer !!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back