• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that’s guess work or maybe it’s the fact we can’t afford the best coaches because of our debt. Funny that savage and membery improved under us and they both come from those clubs but of course that won’t be coaching because imagine giving credit.

Who selected the wrong player every time. Sinclair is much better than a rookie. Billings was getting close to his pick number before this reason which no one can work out. Paddy wouldn’t work at any club because the way footy is today. Acres is at least the standard of his pick number. Goddard is again not suited to today’s footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnybthat people who blame the development can't answer the question as to why some players improve and others don't in the same environment.

What I will say is neckbeard DID look fit when I saw him last week down at Sandy. Took a couple of nice grabs too.

Massive queries must remain over his tank and his ability to string together any continuity of form and preparation, though. If I were betting on it I'd put his ceiling at GOP.

Parish looked great early doors but has faded hard. Not sure what's happened with him... found out somehow?

I like Tim Watson but let's not forget the Essendon flog is strong in him. Very strong.

Probably the same as Gresham, both started well and both have had a step back. Both will be at least very good players IMO. As log as we don't lose from the trade I don't care, we got something good out of it. Essendon made it harder than it should have been but sometimes luck falls your way.

You have lost the plot if you are even attempting to suggest we didnt win that deal by a country mile.

We have right now but it might not be longer term. If they get two good players and we get two good players it might be break even. Good luck to them, if we are so desperate we need to win trades instead of matches then we are ****ed.

So there's a disincentive to win games, due to the draft picks, you think? If so, the system is flawed.

Why is the system flawed? There are arguments for losing (draft picks), and arguments for winning (build a strong culture). I don't think the AFL should care about tanking, if an individual club decides they'll be better off losing a bunch of games then they should be entitled to try that.

Not for the team though. Roo still took the best forward which allowed Bruce and membery to go better that this year.

True, but I reckon Joey was still more valuable with his marshalling down back, metres gained and precision kicking.
The only thing Roo did was maybe take good defender, other than that he was a liability.

True, but I reckon Joey was still more valuable with his marshalling down back, metres gained and precision kicking.
The only thing Roo did was maybe take good defender, other than that he was a liability.

That’s unfair. Think he was very important in 2 or 3 games. Joey and precision kicking haven’t been 2 things I have thought of. And I’m sure roo marshalled the forwards as well. Either way one should have stayed.

How does he improve every year and the go backwards. Did they develop him initially and then just forget about him. I don’t care what anyone say our recruiting as a whole has been average to poor.

Correct

That’s unfair. Think he was very important in 2 or 3 games. Joey and precision kicking haven’t been 2 things I have thought of. And I’m sure roo marshalled the forwards as well. Either way one should have stayed.

I reckon if Joey had played that games against Port that we lost in the final minute we would never have lost it. We really needed his experience in that set up.
Either way we’re missing both, leadership wise, far more than most of us thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL 2018: St Kilda stands by strategic plan, Matt Finnis says no need for a rebuild
AFL
tom_morris.jpg

680637_640x360_large_20180521204055.jpg

'I fear for you'

4:20
ST KILDA chief executive Matt Finnis says the club does not require another full-scale rebuild, despite the Saints languishing in 16th spot on the ladder.
St Kilda released a strategic document titled ‘The Road to 2018’ just after coach Alan Richardson arrived more than four years ago.

The plan was to land a ‘big fish’ from 2016 onwards via the free agency market, play finals in 2017 and challenge for top four and an elusive second flag from 2018-2020.

LIVE Stream every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >.

Round 10
None of these objectives have been reached, but Finnis disagreed with suggestions the Saints need to start again, declaring the “nucleus” of the list remains talented enough to rise back up the ladder in the “not too distant future.”

“We are actually very optimistic about what the future holds,” Finnis said following the club’s Pride Game launch on Acland Street on Wednesday morning.

“This is not a situation where we need to go back to the bottom and start again.

aa43e7c2721f6e20d9b9a834076bfb4b

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson.Source: Getty Images
“We have foundations in our footy club that are a lot stronger now than they used to be. From that, and from the nucleus of players and the coaching program led by Alan Richardson, we are really confident that we will recapture some of that lost ground.”

When pressed on why he holds great belief, Finnis singled out Jimmy Webster, Jack Steven, Seb Ross and teenagers Nick Coffield and Hunter Clark as key planks in the club’s future.

On the now failed plan to challenge for a top-four position by 2018, Finnis indicated the Saints were already looking as far ahead as 2022, but not at the expense of everything that’s been built since Scott Watters was sensationally sacked on the eve of the 2013 National Draft — a decision Finnis was not involved in but chairman Peter Summers was.

“You don’t go throwing the baby out with the bathwater,” Finnis said.

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES

“You have a plan that was put in place in February 2014 that is drawing to the end of its period. We are currently in the focus of doing a lot of our strategic planning for the next iteration of 2019-2022.

“This is a team which is not playing to its capability right now. We are optimistic we can recover that form and that will be a team that can compete and contend over the coming years. Clearly, we are not doing that right now.”

The third Pride Game’s launch in St Kilda on Wednesday followed a rocky few days for a club struggling for wins.

On the weekend, Summers declared the Saints were not backing away from their lofty top four ambitions, despite sitting marginally clear of just Carlton and Brisbane.

“The problem right now is performing to our expectations,” Summers said on SEN.

“We said when we set our plan we expect to be around top four and at the start of the year we believed if we got consistency right, we were a side that could compete week in week out with everyone.

Dual North Melbourne premiership player David King said “it was alarm bells” as soon as he heard Summers’ interview, while Jonathan Brown was also critical of the chairman’s statement.

But Finnis attempted to clarify the comments, suggesting Summers — who he will catch up with on Wednesday afternoon — was simply “taking ownership” of the club’s plight.

“I think what Peter was doing was not walking away from it, (instead) saying ‘hey, this is what we did and we don’t apologise for that’,” Finnis said.

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android!

680336_640x360_large_20180519232325.jpg

Saints press conference

4:23
“What’s been interesting here is that it’s really clear, for mine, that Peter was taking ownership for the fact that four-and-a-half years ago the club put out a strategy that had the club ideally playing finals at the end of this year. We are not looking like a team that is playing finals right now. That’s a reality.”

St Kilda has been floated as a possible opponent for Port Adelaide in China next year, but Finnis said the club is yet to be approached by either the State government or the AFL about taking Gold Coast’s spot in Shanghai.

He also reiterated the club’s long-held desire to play a game for premiership points in Auckland, New Zealand.

“We were the first club to play games for premiership points overseas. There is a lot of interest in Auckland about playing more games of AFL football,” he said.

“The reality is that in Auckland they don’t have a stadium which can host AFL games yet.

“Whilst there is discussions and strategy over there in relation to that, it would appear to be some time away before they are in a position to host AFL games.”

But Parish isn't a mid. Anyway Carlisle is one of our best this year but Essendon doesn't necessarily have to lose for us to win. They got two kids we got an established player and a kid. Worked out for both potentially. It's one of our best trades in the last 10 years that's for sure because with out Jake we would look a certain wooden spooner.
Who said they necessarily have to lose?

I said they HAVE lost.

Those two kids are nothing on Carlisle and Gresh.

Morgan and Bird lol, and people cried about our # 26 in Long.

We pantsed them.

I know we cant have a win because it doesnt fit the meme, but reality is we nailed it and Essendon blew it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL 2018: St Kilda stands by strategic plan, Matt Finnis says no need for a rebuild
AFL
tom_morris.jpg

'I fear for you'

ST KILDA chief executive Matt Finnis says the club does not require another full-scale rebuild, despite the Saints languishing in 16th spot on the ladder.
St Kilda released a strategic document titled ‘The Road to 2018’ just after coach Alan Richardson arrived more than four years ago.

The plan was to land a ‘big fish’ from 2016 onwards via the free agency market, play finals in 2017 and challenge for top four and an elusive second flag from 2018-2020.

LIVE Stream every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >.

Round 10
None of these objectives have been reached, but Finnis disagreed with suggestions the Saints need to start again, declaring the “nucleus” of the list remains talented enough to rise back up the ladder in the “not too distant future.”

“We are actually very optimistic about what the future holds,” Finnis said following the club’s Pride Game launch on Acland Street on Wednesday morning.

“This is not a situation where we need to go back to the bottom and start again.

“We have foundations in our footy club that are a lot stronger now than they used to be. From that, and from the nucleus of players and the coaching program led by Alan Richardson, we are really confident that we will recapture some of that lost ground.”

When pressed on why he holds great belief, Finnis singled out Jimmy Webster, Jack Steven, Seb Ross and teenagers Nick Coffield and Hunter Clark as key planks in the club’s future.

On the now failed plan to challenge for a top-four position by 2018, Finnis indicated the Saints were already looking as far ahead as 2022, but not at the expense of everything that’s been built since Scott Watters was sensationally sacked on the eve of the 2013 National Draft — a decision Finnis was not involved in but chairman Peter Summers was.

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES

“You have a plan that was put in place in February 2014 that is drawing to the end of its period. We are currently in the focus of doing a lot of our strategic planning for the next iteration of 2019-2022.

“This is a team which is not playing to its capability right now. We are optimistic we can recover that form and that will be a team that can compete and contend over the coming years. Clearly, we are not doing that right now.”

The third Pride Game’s launch in St Kilda on Wednesday followed a rocky few days for a club struggling for wins.

On the weekend, Summers declared the Saints were not backing away from their lofty top four ambitions, despite sitting marginally clear of just Carlton and Brisbane.

“We said when we set our plan we expect to be around top four and at the start of the year we believed if we got consistency right, we were a side that could compete week in week out with everyone.

Dual North Melbourne premiership player David King said “it was alarm bells” as soon as he heard Summers’ interview, while Jonathan Brown was also critical of the chairman’s statement.

But Finnis attempted to clarify the comments, suggesting Summers — who he will catch up with on Wednesday afternoon — was simply “taking ownership” of the club’s plight.

“I think what Peter was doing was not walking away from it, (instead) saying ‘hey, this is what we did and we don’t apologise for that’,” Finnis said.

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android!

Saints press conference

“What’s been interesting here is that it’s really clear, for mine, that Peter was taking ownership for the fact that four-and-a-half years ago the club put out a strategy that had the club ideally playing finals at the end of this year. We are not looking like a team that is playing finals right now. That’s a reality.”

St Kilda has been floated as a possible opponent for Port Adelaide in China next year, but Finnis said the club is yet to be approached by either the State government or the AFL about taking Gold Coast’s spot in Shanghai.

He also reiterated the club’s long-held desire to play a game for premiership points in Auckland, New Zealand.

“We were the first club to play games for premiership points overseas. There is a lot of interest in Auckland about playing more games of AFL football,” he said.

“The reality is that in Auckland they don’t have a stadium which can host AFL games yet.

“Whilst there is discussions and strategy over there in relation to that, it would appear to be some time away before they are in a position to host AFL games.”
So the president, CEO & Coach say one thing, and Leathlean says another last night. Transparency at its finest down at Moorabbin. Who bloody knows what’s going on!

Probably the same as Gresham, both started well and both have had a step back. Both will be at least very good players IMO. As log as we don't lose from the trade I don't care, we got something good out of it. Essendon made it harder than it should have been but sometimes luck falls your way.
Gresham is playing and has played much better than Parish.

Parish is in the seconds. Gresham is regaining form.

Carlisle is our saviour atm. Neckbeard is atm in reserves.

AFL
tom_morris.jpg

'I fear for you'

Round 10

Saints press conference

I think finnis has lost the plot. Even mentioning nz when they don’t even have a ground is madness. The rest is just rubbish.

So much better than Savage at it.

So you know they stopped developing billings this year. Seems really strange. Actually nearly impossible to believe

I know what I see and that is a kid who's lost all confidence and who now second guesses everything. Defs gone backwards and is a far better player than his current form indicates.

Unfortunately its gone so far now I believe he needs a sports psych and better coaching staff to recover.

I know what I see and that is a kid who's lost all confidence and who now second guesses everything. Defs gone backwards and is a far better player than his current form indicates.

Unfortunately its gone so far now I believe he needs a sports psych and better coaching staff to recover.

Not disagreeing with that but that has nothing to do with development imo.

Not disagreeing with that but that has nothing to do with development imo.

I'll disagree there Pluggs.
Bloody hard to develop when you're worried about disposal before even getting the ball. Poor development holding him and others back imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back