FTA-TV The Deuce

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the new HBO show Foxtel have been plugging the crap out of lately.

Set in 1970s Manhattan around the prostitution and pr0n going on there. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Pilot was good, better than I expected. Franco was excellent I thought.

I was lucky enough to be in Manhattan earlier this year and they've done so well to recreate it as 40-50 years ago with all the street scenes and landscapes - even showing the twin towers being built in the background at one point.

The main director involved also did 11 eps of Breaking Bad, 1 of each of Leftovers, Better Call Saul and Westworld - impressive resume!

There's no music so has quite a serious feel, a bit like The Night Of. I'm gonna stick with it.

The main writer/creator is the bloke behind 'The Wire' as well.

Reviews are strong thus far, but it's important to note that there are a lot of characters, so it takes about 4 or 5 episodes to set everything up.

The main writer/creator is the bloke behind 'The Wire' as well.

Reviews are strong thus far, but it's important to note that there are a lot of characters, so it takes about 4 or 5 episodes to set everything up.

Happy to give anything David Simon touches a go. Don't mind Franco either so have high hopes.

Like most of David Simons work don't expect to watch one episode and be hooked straight away. They are all slow burners but it will hook you in at some point, and it's always worth the wait.

Simon (and Pelecanos) has just casually polished off some of the greatest pieces of television ever made. Obviously the Wire, but to knock off Generation Kill, Treme & Show Me a Hero since then has him in a tier above all.

What I'm saying is, if there's a new David Simon show, you watch it.
I loved Generation Kill:thumbsu:

Promising start in my eyes. Franco is excellent in his role. Like The Wire, I think it will take a few episodes for us to get a true grasp of the show. Has all the right pieces for another great David Simon drama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved Generation Kill:thumbsu:

Second this, skarsgard is the best in that. Close second to bob as goat miniseries for mine.

Will def watch this one though subbing to the thread so that hopefully the alerts remind me tonight.

Awful title. Sounds like a comedy. Or a movie you watch once and never again.

The Wire is an all-time great so I should try this but I still haven't watched Treme :oops:

Reckon James Franco does a Sean Bean/Anthony Hopkins and dies at the end of the season?

Last edited:
Awful title. Sounds like a comedy. Or a movie you watch once and never again.

The Wire is an all-time great so I should try this but I still haven't watched Treme :oops:

Reckon James Franco does a Sean Bean/Anthony Hopkins and dies at the end of the season?

I think Times Square as seedy as it was back then, used to be called The Deuce back in those days.

....that's not quite right but it's something like that.

I think Times Square as seedy as it was back then, used to be called The Deuce back in those days.

....that's not quite right but it's something like that.

I looked it up.

The location is 42nd street which was also known as 40 and Deuce or just The Deuce which probably came later.

I 100% spent the first hour of this thinking James Franco was just pretending he had a brother, biggest plot twist since Ned Stark in season 1 when his brother walked into the bar :p

I 100% spent the first hour of this thinking James Franco was just pretending he had a brother, biggest plot twist since Ned Stark in season 1 when his brother walked into the bar :p
I did too for a bit, but there was a scene not long after we learn that the barman has a twin brother where his brother puts on a bet with some guy with a frilly shirt, and he doesn't have a bandage on his forehead, and that's when I realized the twin brother was real. I think the attempted robbery scene was just there so they could injure the barman and he wears a bandage, and later has a scab/scar, so we can tell the difference between the two characters.

I did too for a bit, but there was a scene not long after we learn that the barman has a twin brother where his brother puts on a bet with some guy with a frilly shirt, and he doesn't have a bandage on his forehead, and that's when I realized the twin brother was real. I think the attempted robbery scene was just there so they could injure the barman and he wears a bandage, and later has a scab/scar, so we can tell the difference between the two characters.

Didn't even notice that :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back