The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throwing your head back in a marking contest ala Lindsey Thomas is one thing, taking a proper dive that ends up suspending a player is grossly unfair and completely against the spirit of the game. Then to throw out a garbage tweet, calling into question the form of one of Australia's greatest sportsmen of the 90's/00 (via an incident 23 years old) all the while coming off a serious drink driving incident barely 6 months previous. Exceedingly poor form, and down right cringe worthy.

Last edited:
Throwing your head back in a marking contest ala luke shuei is one thing, taking a proper dive that ends up suspending a player is grossly unfair and completely against the spirit of the game. Then to throw out a garbage tweet, calling into question the form of one of Australia's greatest sportsmen of the 90's/00 (via an incident 23 years old) all the while coming off a serious drink driving incident barley 6 months previous. Exceedingly poor form, and down right cringe worthy.

edited for accuracy.

I dislike the term "dive" being used to describe many of the events it's being associated with on here

A dive to me is when there is zero contact that would affect you to react the contact i.e. when players brush past each other and there is no head high contact, yet one of the players goes down clutching their face

The majority of the time, the term "dive" is just used to describe an instance where a player has accentuated contact that was already there. Staging would be a more fitting term, but still alludes to acting/diving

FWIW Oliver accentuated the contact that was already there. He got hit on the chin - however lightly - and milked it. But the fact that he milked it doesn't change the fact that there was contact - and intentional contact, too (it just was bugger all force from the looks of it). Was there a need for him to react the way he did? Probably not. But he didn't make up getting hit.

I reckon Oliver's not being given the benefit of the doubt. Massively

Whereas the perpetrator is. Typical of mrp type things

And he wasn't milking or anything because the only gain was to get the eagle rubbed out

There was no free to be gained. North Melbourne style

If he deliberately set out to get the eagle suspended then it's another thing altogether

Remove this Banner Ad

Back