Universal Love The drea-...Green Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think this is a bad idea at all but at the same time, I think something like this would only happen after the Steve's leave.

Someone said let it become nostalgic first and that is something I do think needs to happen. In saying that I still have our old home jumper (purple, green, red with white anchor) signed and framed and I still look at that jumper with a sense of pride.

I think not a bad idea to wear it during derby day.

Good thread, I hated the green jumper at the time but have often thought that it would be nice to bring back as a once off. It would imo look a lot better with the modern darker green and purple we used recently. So I guess they could either go with an exact replica of the original or just a similarly designed one using the new colours that pays homage to the green jumper. I'd prefer the latter.

At some stage it does need to be recognised, after all it was what the club wore in our first game v Shitmond way back in 95 and an important part of history.

I think the old outfit is at least better than hawthorn power ranger gold outfit.

There may be some branding issues surrounding the use of Dockers and the anchor now.
Yeah, wasn't the original rumour basically that the club could choose between 'Dockers' and no anchor, or the other way around. That's why in '98 or so, the club logo changed and the Dockers name was basically abandoned formally. Back in 2010 or whenever, the chevrons replacing the anchors worked out well enough that it also enabled Fremantle Dockers to become the formal name. In my opinion 'Fremantle Football Club' feels and sounds way better, as we feel like more of a club than a West Coast Eagles/Gold Coast Suns/GWS Giants sort of expansion franchise.

Whatever happened to the Heritage Round?
Long story short, it stopped making money.

Apparently old Heritage Round jumpers were sitting around sports shops five or six years after. Clubs were making all of these orders and basically none were shipping. The ultimate irony is that these days, any of them, and some of them especially, are with an absolute mint.

Freo's were always so good. I saw us in the Old Easts design in the flesh, getting flogged on a freezing day at the SCG v a South Fremantle looking Sydney. But the old Souths-like red chevrons were awesome, and I would still really love to pick one of up. I especially liked this one: the ribboned Heritage Round badge, the way Alinta changed their logo to look like a stitched on one... classic.
FremantleHeritage2003.jpg

I just feel like maybe Freo has a little less character these days. I think the brand is incredibly strong as it is. The chevrons are ubiquitous. We've seen some high moments in the clubs history in it. Purple alone, and the whole anchor thing, is really unique – it doesn't look bland or like any other team could use it.

Going back to an important jumper of the past would not dilute anything. We haven't worn any form of unique jumper almost at all since the rebrand. Freo sort of helped to pioneer the Indigenous Round – back before the whole comp got aboard – and the stupid sugar daddy numbers with names strewn across the front are shameless cash grabs for an already wealthy club (as well as simply looking tacky) while the photo number idea was naff. Even Purple Haze no longer exists in a unique form: who could forget that all purple strip, and a bald headed Barlow coming out of nowhere and stealing the show?

I thin some engagement from the club would be good. Even a new pre-season jumper would be good.

Also, if anyone has any of the jumpers (or a Heritage Round) laying around in a medium to large, I'd be pretty interested
1181788-mar-1997-scott-chisholm-of-fremantle-runs-with-gettyimages.jpg

eslp_ag_620px.jpg

1994342.jpg

65863-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Sorry, had to chuck that last one in to cancel out the spud Croad image...

Yep, fully agree. I really liked that green jumper - I actually prefer it to the old purple one with green and red panels. The green jumper was bold, and more importantly, symmetrical. Bring it back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has trotted out green and red training jumpers for a while. I like its little nod to the past of the club.

The bright yellow ones we had or do have this season are fairly putrid...

Does anyone remember the old green and red anchor training jumpers? They were basically just the Purple Haze ones but recoloured, I think around the Russell Athletic-era. They were rippers.

Dockers is a brand owned by Levi, which used an anchor logo. FFC set up as the Fremantle Dockers and then used the anchor motif. Levi didn't like the dilution of brand and issued a cease and desist. FFC had no choice but to either get rid of Dockers off official merch or get rid of the anchor. By 1997, all references to Dockers was removed from official FFC stuff.

There was a survey which asked about what you referred to when talking about FFC - Dockers obviously rated well. As such, in 2011 (?) FFC approached Levi about using the Dockers name. They came to an agreement and a nominal fee (for some reason I thought it was $1000) for FFC to use the Dockers name going forward. It appears part of that agreement was to not use the anchor AND Dockers on stuff.

As such, I think it's unlikely we'll get a 'heritage' jumper with the anchor on. We might get a green jumper with the chevrons but I think thet wouldn't show up well in TV, so I also fear they might not be supported by the AFL.

If memory serves, similarly, Port Adelaide can be referred to as the Power or Port Adelaide but Port Power is a no-no.

Dockers is a brand owned by Levi, which used an anchor logo. FFC set up as the Fremantle Dockers and then used the anchor motif. Levi didn't like the dilution of brand and issued a cease and desist. FFC had no choice but to either get rid of Dockers off official merch or get rid of the anchor. By 1997, all references to Dockers was removed from official FFC stuff.

There was a survey which asked about what you referred to when talking about FFC - Dockers obviously rated well. As such, in 2011 (?) FFC approached Levi about using the Dockers name. They came to an agreement and a nominal fee (for some reason I thought it was $1000) for FFC to use the Dockers name going forward. It appears part of that agreement was to not use the anchor AND Dockers on stuff.

As such, I think it's unlikely we'll get a 'heritage' jumper with the anchor on. We might get a green jumper with the chevrons but I think thet wouldn't show up well in TV, so I also fear they might not be supported by the AFL.

If memory serves, similarly, Port Adelaide can be referred to as the Power or Port Adelaide but Port Power is a no-no.
This is the Levi's logo...

dockers-logo.jpg

Irony is the new Freo one looks way more similar to theirs...

fremantle-dockers.jpg

FremantleDockers1996-2010.jpg

Few more things:

• Isn't this mostly all conjecture?
• 'Port Power' was a marketing name and very quickly ditched. They don't like it because they see themselves as Port Adelaide Football Club – with the Magpies and Power two parts of the same body
• I reckon a one-off could still work
• These surveys are mostly just pillow talk for the choices the club has already made – do you like A, B, or C? One magically wins and it's the one the club has already ordered 10,000 of...

The club has trotted out green and red training jumpers for a while. I like its little nod to the past of the club.

The bright yellow ones we had or do have this season are fairly putrid...

Does anyone remember the old green and red anchor training jumpers? They were basically just the Purple Haze ones but recoloured, I think around the Russell Athletic-era. They were rippers.
I have the red one - love it! It was the age of Reebok, with a dirty great LG logo on the stomach.

Alinta and Russell definitely did them as well. The Russell Athletic logo was on the chest where the sponsor was.

The current training strips are a little dull I reckon. There's room to experiment with little risk and repercussion in image and sales.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back