The F Word

Finals for the SUNS in 2017?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call sir. I must commend that you always have a level headed well thought out response. Last night was hard to swallow but you're right it's not over. It's not likely but it's not over.. If we get to 7-7 I'll believe again.

I expected to win 2 out of Carlton, Saints and Roos, we've lost one so it's still possible but much harder as we can't slip up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is basically it for the Suns in terms of The F Word. Two wins behind 7th place (at the moment) and they face the 7th placed Swans next week. Obviously a win this week and next week would mean the season is well and truly alive. Now I know some people will say the season is already done and dusted but you just never know because we've seen the Suns spring upsets this season (remember the Geelong game?) so it's really just about staying within reaching distance of 8th place to give yourself a chance.

A loss to North today and I'd say it's 99% the nail in the coffin.

MpoOk51.jpg

So we've got a bit of a logjam at the moment. The Suns currently sit one win behind 8th and two wins behind 5th. A win over Sydney next week would be massive for the Suns in terms of their finals chances. That's followed by a home game against Collingwood, which you would think is winnable and would give them a win-loss record of 8-8, presuming they beat Sydney.

Dare to dream?

MpoOk51.jpg

So we've got a bit of a logjam at the moment. The Suns currently sit one win behind 8th and two wins behind 5th. A win over Sydney next week would be massive for the Suns in terms of their finals chances. That's followed by a home game against Collingwood, which you would think is winnable and would give them a win-loss record of 8-8, presuming they beat Sydney.

Dare to dream?
U r flogging a well and truly dead horse that is seriously decomposing now

U r flogging a well and truly dead horse that is seriously decomposing now
Let me ask you this. If, and it's a big if, the Suns beat Sydney next week, will you start to believe September action is possible?

If we can beat Sydney in Sydney with the form they are in , we all should be excited about finals for the first time ever , but it is a fair hill to climb.

I for one am already booked to fly to Sydney this weekend. It's the last chance so to speak... also our NEAFL game is against the best - big games for our entire list.
If we win I want to be there...

Tough games ahead. Bulldogs, Richmond, Port, Essendon

Not to mention Sydney this weekend

Going to need one heck of a run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood winnable at home next week . So Sydney game crucial - Bulldogs and Essendon also winnable up here...

Collingwood winnable at home next week . So Sydney game crucial - Bulldogs and Essendon also winnable up here...
We should win 5 of the next 8. you can add Richmond to the winnable games up here. Good record against the tiges

Since you've decided to look beyond this week, here's my take on the draw after the Swans match:

Collingwood @ Metricon
Bulldogs @ Cazaly's
Richmond @ Metricon
Fremantle @ Domain
Brisbane @ Gabba
Essendon @ Metricon
Port @ Adelaide Oval

That's five of the last seven games in Queensland. Collingwood, Brisbane and Essendon are the obvious games the Suns should win. The Bulldogs are beginning to implode and may be beatable up in Cairns, Richmond have an atrocious record at Carrara (1 win, 5 losses) and Fremantle are beatable, even if it's in Perth. It's going to sound biased but I think Port at Adelaide Oval could end up being the hardest of the remaining games, outside of the Swans next week.

A win against Sydney next week would be massive in terms of their chances when you look at the above draw.

Since you've decided to look beyond this week, here's my take on the draw after the Swans match:

Collingwood @ Metricon
Bulldogs @ Cazaly's
Richmond @ Metricon
Fremantle @ Domain
Brisbane @ Gabba
Essendon @ Metricon
Port @ Adelaide Oval

That's five of the last seven games in Queensland. Collingwood, Brisbane and Essendon are the obvious games the Suns should win. The Bulldogs are beginning to implode and may be beatable up in Cairns, Richmond have an atrocious record at Carrara (1 win, 5 losses) and Fremantle are beatable, even if it's in Perth. It's going to sound biased but I think Port at Adelaide Oval could end up being the hardest of the remaining games, outside of the Swans next week.

A win against Sydney next week would be massive in terms of their chances when you look at the above draw.

Feel we are no chance this week,but would love to see it. If we win this week then we should make finals

Feel we are no chance this week,but would love to see it. If we win this week then we should make finals
I guess the biggest problem is - there is no such thing as 'should win' games this year and Gold Coast's inconsistency this season makes it even more unpredictable. Sure, the Suns might beat Sydney next week but history suggests they then go on to drop the next game to the Pies at home. It's kind of useless looking back at what has already happened but you just think back to games they were absolutely a chance to win like Brisbane, North 1 and Carlton 2. If the Suns had won those games they would be sitting in 5th place on the ladder.

We know this team is capable of playing finals footy, it's just inconsistency that has cost them to date. Unsurprisingly, if they are any chance of playing finals from here, they need to be consistently good with their performances. They must find the one thing they've never had.

Pretty negative - every game is a 50/ 50 chance - best prepared mentally will win....
Yeah but feel we won't be up to it. Everytime i've put my hopes up in games like these we've been smashed, (GWS, Adelaide, Port, Saints) I reckon we can win of course but only a full 4 quarter effort would do it, and i'm not sure the boys can do it

Yeah but feel we won't be up to it. Everytime i've put my hopes up in games like these we've been smashed, (GWS, Adelaide, Port, Saints) I reckon we can win of course but only a full 4 quarter effort would do it, and i'm not sure the boys can do it
It's worth noting that the Swans are one of just two clubs (Adelaide being the other) the Suns haven't beaten. It's obviously a big task but it's not mission impossible. Sydney have slipped this year and are capable of slipping again on Saturday.

Does anyone have the power to shut this thread down?
Matchu is purely and quite brilliantly playing with the heads of the more Optimistic Suffering Suns supporters.

You are one hell of a fisherman Matchu. We blow up our season against Carlton then two weeks later we get an ordinary win against North Melbourne who r 17th and here you are breathing life into this poor dead old horse which is this thread.

U r a cruel and brilliant man.

Does anyone have the power to shut this thread down?
Matchu is purely and quite brilliantly playing with the heads of the more Optimistic Suffering Suns supporters.

You are one hell of a fisherman Matchu. We blow up our season against Carlton then two weeks later we get an ordinary win against North Melbourne who r 17th and here you are breathing life into this poor dead old horse which is this thread.

U r a cruel and brilliant man.
Don't take my word for it, mate. Some of your fellow Suns supporters are quietly optimistic about the Swans match:

It's not impossible this week .
We're due for an away upset and if we carry a decent team in there's a chance.
If we are sick of being ignored by the Melbourne media, knock off Sydney next week, and they will be talking for sure. Will be a tough ask, but we are capable if we can put 4 quarters together.
We stand a good chance at beating the Swans. Niggling injuries are plaguing that Swans midfield.

It's easy to become pessimistic when it comes to the team you support but it's still a two horse race at the end of the day.

Back