Prediction The F word

Do the Swans make finals this year

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst case scenario (we lose by 60, everyone around us wins by 60) we finish 5th

this isnt the thread for worse case

this is to discuss grand final plans. šŸ˜‚

I am not getting ahead of myself, and still am fully preparing to be disappointed somewhere along the lines as we fail to finish top two. For one reason:

In my head, when I think of Swans teams finishing top two, booking themselves home qualifying finals and potentially making deep September runs, I see Reg Grundy. I see Ted Richards. Dan Hannebery. JPK. Nick Smith. I see Malceski and Shaw. I see Goodes and maybe even Jude. I see Kieren Jack and Jarrad McVeigh.

I do not see Errol Gulden, James Rowbottom, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner or the McCartin brothers. In my head I still see them in the rebuilding team battling away en route to honourable loss after honourable loss in front of empty stadiums.

It is hard to reconcile that they will be key drivers in a crucial qualifying final, or could be there at centre bounces or taking kick out duties on the G on grand final day.

It feels surreal and I keep waiting for some sort of sign that it's all a false dawn of sorts. So, to paraphrase Huddo, I'm seeing it, but I'm not believing it.

I am not getting ahead of myself, and still am fully preparing to be disappointed somewhere along the lines as we fail to finish top two. For one reason:

In my head, when I think of Swans teams finishing top two, booking themselves home qualifying finals and potentially making deep September runs, I see Reg Grundy. I see Ted Richards. Dan Hannebery. JPK. Nick Smith. I see Malceski and Shaw. I see Goodes and maybe even Jude. I see Kieren Jack and Jarrad McVeigh.

I do not see Errol Gulden, James Rowbottom, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner or the McCartin brothers. In my head I still see them in the rebuilding team battling away en route to honourable loss after honourable loss in front of empty stadiums.

It is hard to reconcile that they will be key drivers in a crucial qualifying final, or could be there at centre bounces or taking kick out duties on the G on grand final day.

It feels surreal and I keep waiting for some sort of sign that it's all a false dawn of sorts. So, to paraphrase Huddo, I'm seeing it, but I'm not believing it.

Thats sport i guess just back your side and whatever happens happens, cant do much more as a supporter.

But I thnk the key drivers will be Luke Parker, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney, Dane Rampe, Tom Papley, Lance Franklin and I acknowledge our younger players are massive, especially the Mccartins, and patty is mature aged really.

Most the keys have played a grand final- and been . screwed over

Yeah Warner, Blakey, Rowbottom massively important though

But I thnk the key drivers will be Luke Parker, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney, Dane Rampe, Tom Papley, Lance Franklin and I acknowledge our younger players are massive, especially the Mccartins, and patty is mature aged really.

Most the keys have played a grand final- and been . screwed over

Yeah Warner, Blakey, Rowbottom massively important though
No doubt, but there's a helluva lot in this team who I just didn't think I'd be seeing in big finals. Or at least not so soon.

We were at the bottom for a few years there and the hope is always that all the losses and the kids who aren't ready and the high draft picks etc will all amount to something. You never really know if you're gonna be the next Melbourne/Carlton, in endless rebuilds.

Then it happens as rapidly as it has for us and I feel like I haven't even adjusted my expectations or my mentality yet. Still feels like just yesterday I was seeing them debut.

Just the thought of seeing so many of them in finals just feels bizarre really. I should also probably say that I didn't see a lot of our 2010-2012 period because I was busy with exams etc. So I never really saw that team "form". And in 2005 I was 10 so was too young to know s**t lol. So that rebuild in 2019/20 was the first time I saw a Swans team really sort of come together, so to see them now possibly finishing top 2... it's wild.

No doubt, but there's a helluva lot in this team who I just didn't think I'd be seeing in big finals. Or at least not so soon.

We were at the bottom for a few years there and the hope is always that all the losses and the kids who aren't ready and the high draft picks etc will all amount to something. You never really know if you're gonna be the next Melbourne/Carlton, in endless rebuilds.

Then it happens as rapidly as it has for us and I feel like I haven't even adjusted my expectations or my mentality yet. Still feels like just yesterday I was seeing them debut.

Just the thought of seeing so many of them in finals just feels bizarre really. I should also probably say that I didn't see a lot of our 2010-2012 period because I was busy with exams etc. So I never really saw that team "form". And in 2005 I was 10 so was too young to know s**t lol. So that rebuild in 2019/20 was the first time I saw a Swans team really sort of come together, so to see them now possibly finishing top 2... it's wild.

1996 was the most odd

never thought I would see people like Luffy, Heuskus, Dunkley etc playing key roles in finals and they were great

All I can say is I'm bloody glad we won't finish top, as we all know what happened the last two times we did... :'(

Not really sure what's going to happen in the finals to be honest, but we are peaking at the right time of year which is a good sign...

2012 - 8 players played every game of the year

2022- so far 8 players have played every game of the year

Sure 2005 9 did and it ruined it but lets ignore that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute mile off - but the winner of the 2nd/3rd qualifying final (which is almost certainly where we will be) is generally in the best position to make/win the grand final. They get the 'easier' prelim, compared to 1st who usually beats the 4th placed team before hitting either 2nd or 3rd in the prelim.

The way it shakes out this year could be interesting. The winner of the 2nd/3rd prelim is likely to face the winner of a semi final between Collingwood & Fremantle (likely to finish 4th & 5th respectively). Assuming Geelong beat their qualifying final opponent, they could face either Richmond, Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne in a preliminary final. From a quick fiddle around - I think it's hugely beneficial for us if the Pies finish in 4th by beating Carlton next week.

Option A for R23: Melbourne, Collingwood, Bulldogs win. You can see how the draw massively opens up for the winner of that 2nd Qualifying Final. The loser of it, Richmond & the loser of Brisbane/Melbourne in R23 all end up on the other side of the draw.

1660540237214.png

Option B for Rd 23: Brisbane, Carlton, Bulldogs win. In this scenario, I reckon there's huge potential for two teams to make the prelims from outside the top 4 (which happened in 2014 for example). You can interchange us and Brisbane in this one, and I still think Richmond would make you nervous going into a semi-final.

1660540456222.png

Option C for Rd 23: Brisbane, Pies, Bulldogs win. Again, things shape up nicely for the winner of the 2nd/3rd QF. Whereas Geelong are staring at the loser of that QF, Richmond or Melbourne.

1660540653071.png

Ton of footy to be played, so perhaps this'll end up being useless prognostication but imo the inside track to making the grand final will be for the side who wins the 2nd/3rd QF (which can only be Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane).

Well. I've booked my flights up for both week 1, and prelim weekend.

Spent the $ on changeable flights though. Prices are already pretty high and only going to get more expensive so worth it now to save $ moving ahead.

Banking on our week 1 game being Saturday twilight (Geelong MCG Friday night), and probably prelim also being Saturday twilight or night.

Bit of talk around what day our first final will be on.

Allianz first game on the Friday night
Wallabies v South Africa 3:30pm Saturday night

I had money on Saturday twilight purely based on SCG being crap to get to after work Friday and reckon they want MCG Friday night. And no chance of Sunday. Actually don't think there will be a Sunday final at all.

Back