Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think this deserves a thread or can't find one in the top couple of pages but it looks like Cray has just gone down with a suspected ACL in the twos for Richmond. Man Richmond seem cursed with injuries
Who?

EDIT: I'm assuming it's Naismith

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to Leo Barry 47 today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For long time South supporters great to see Colin Hounsell in the rooms after Friday night’s win. Hounsell kicked the Swans first goal in the first game at the SCG. It is a great credit to the club they embrace these past players and the players reciprocate in kind with a continuing love of the red and white. You can see the absolute joy and pride of these old stalwarts written all over their faces. Hounsell was beaming walking around talking to whoever wanted to engage.

For long time South supporters great to see Colin Hounsell in the rooms after Friday night’s win. Hounsell kicked the Swans first goal in the first game at the SCG. It is a great credit to the club they embrace these past players and the players reciprocate in kind with a continuing love of the red and white. You can see the absolute joy and pride of these old stalwarts written all over their faces. Hounsell was beaming walking around talking to whoever wanted to engage.
And saw the great Peter Bedford as well .

One of my favourites from that era

Buffoon Brian in the rooms.
He is so bloody rude.

Lachlan McKirdy was interviewing Joel Amartey, and Brian Taylor just walks up with his microphone and sticks it in Amartey's face, captures about 30 seconds of McKirdy's interview on the tellie. It's a first world problem, but common decency would suggest you have some respect for the work a journalist is doing and not A) hijack his conversation, B) potentially alter the flow of the interview (ie. does Amartey speak to McKirdy as freely and confidently knowing he's now on camera?), and C) basically broadcast some of the contents of the interview that McKirdy himself has acquired the rights to.

I don't mind Roaming Brian, I actually think it is an interesting concept in terms of seeing a different, maybe more unfiltered side to players, their families, etc. But there's gotta be boundaries and I think interfering with reporters who are doing their jobs should be off limits.

He is so bloody rude.

Lachlan McKirdy was interviewing Joel Amartey, and Brian Taylor just walks up with his microphone and sticks it in Amartey's face, captures about 30 seconds of McKirdy's interview on the tellie. It's a first world problem, but common decency would suggest you have some respect for the work a journalist is doing and not A) hijack his conversation, B) potentially alter the flow of the interview (ie. does Amartey speak to McKirdy as freely and confidently knowing he's now on camera?), and C) basically broadcast some of the contents of the interview that McKirdy himself has acquired the rights to.

I don't mind Roaming Brian, I actually think it is an interesting concept in terms of seeing a different, maybe more unfiltered side to players, their families, etc. But there's gotta be boundaries and I think interfering with reporters who are doing their jobs should be off limits.
I actually hate Roaming Brian. I think after the players have run their guts out over 3 hours they deserve a bit of privacy. Nothing I’ve seen BT do is particularly insightful. He asks boofhead questions without any forethought. Certainly incapable of analysis. That he is rude and without professional boundaries isn’t much of a surprise. I can’t avoid him during the game coverage but I turn off for his after game buffoonery. Lachlan McKirdy is a much more professional journalist.

He is so bloody rude.

Yep saw this. Totally rude and unprofessional. I wondered who the journo was. Think he was taken a back from it actually. Should of called Taylor out on it by turning his back on him.

I actually hate Roaming Brian. I think after the players have run their guts out over 3 hours they deserve a bit of privacy. Nothing I’ve seen BT do is particularly insightful. He asks boofhead questions without any forethought. Certainly incapable of analysis. That he is rude and without professional boundaries isn’t much of a surprise. I can’t avoid him during the game coverage but I turn off for his after game buffoonery. Lachlan McKirdy is a much more professional journalist.
I don't entirely disagree. BT was on a podcast I was listening to whilst driving (he wasn't the main guest, or I would certainly not have bothered listening.) He spoke about Roaming Brian and how the essence of it isn't in what the guests say or do, but what they don't say or do. He used the example of players who seem willing and enthusiastic about chatting to him vs. those who don't want a bar of it, and how their interactions, or lack thereof, paint a picture for fans and viewers watching.

In that sense, I get what channel 7 are trying to do with the segment conceptually. A kind of insightful, illuminating exposé on the nature of footballers. The problem is the key personality central to it is completely incapable of offering any kind of insightful, illumination exposition. He just acts like a frat bro-meets-Borat trying making a stab at pub banter with the players, and seems to make the players even more uncomfortable and less willing to be their authentic selves than if he just toned it down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back