Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
He would and I reckon he's filthy.

You reckon he is filthy?

The club stood by him through five knee injuries, through five whole seasons where he didn't manage to play a single game, and got him back playing at the highest level only for him to do knee injury number six before he had even completed his second game. They valued him enough to offer him a non-playing role to stay involved with the club.

If he is filthy about not still being at the Swans then he is pretty bloody ungrateful.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
You reckon he is filthy?

The club stood by him through five knee injuries, through five whole seasons where he didn't manage to play a single game, and got him back playing at the highest level only for him to do knee injury number six before he had even completed his second game. They valued him enough to offer him a non-playing role to stay involved with the club.

If he is filthy about not still being at the Swans then he is pretty bloody ungrateful.
Maybe not filthy , but disappointed as it was his other knee which is something the ignorant don't understand. It was the new style of Reco which takes the graft from the Quad and not the Hammy. Tyson Goldsack got back well within a year and AJ has now as well , it was only other injuries holding him back. He tried to assure them he would be ok . NEVER has he bagged the club , he loves it, but as I said he's filthy he couldn't go on with us. Hope Mr K you now understand where I was coming from as well as your likers !

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe not filthy , but disappointed as it was his other knee which is something the ignorant don't understand. It was the new style of Reco which takes the graft from the Quad and not the Hammy. Tyson Goldsack got back well within a year and AJ has now as well , it was only other injuries holding him back. He tried to assure them he would be ok . NEVER has he bagged the club , he loves it, but as I said he's filthy he couldn't go on with us. Hope Mr K you now understand where I was coming from as well as your likers !

I can totally understand him being disappointed. He wants to be playing AFL football and he wants to be doing it at the Swans. But that isn't the same as being filthy, which is what you said. That implies negative sentiments towards the club for making a decision that realistically they had no alternative but to make.

I'm impressed he is back playing at VFL level, I hope he can play out the rest of the season well, but I think the fact that it was the "other" knee and that a bunch of other injuries that hampered him getting back is not really a reason for the club to give him more time than they already did - it is just more evidence that his body was just not holding up to the rigors of AFL football.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I can totally understand him being disappointed. He wants to be playing AFL football and he wants to be doing it at the Swans. But that isn't the same as being filthy, which is what you said. That implies negative sentiments towards the club for making a decision that realistically they had no alternative but to make.

I'm impressed he is back playing at VFL level, I hope he can play out the rest of the season well, but I think the fact that it was the "other" knee and that a bunch of other injuries that hampered him getting back is not really a reason for the club to give him more time than they already did - it is just more evidence that his body was just not holding up to the rigors of AFL football.
And with that Sam Reid . We have a history of this poo , yes he'll only be out for 2 weeks , 10 weeks later !

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
And with that Sam Reid . We have a history of this poo , yes he'll only be out for 2 weeks , 10 weeks later !

In 2012 AJ played 25 games, Reid 22.
In 2013 AJ played 0 games, Reid 10.
In 2014 AJ played 0 games, Reid 20.
In 2015 AJ played 0 games, Reid 22.
In 2016 AJ played 0 games, Reid 0.
In 2017 AJ played 0 games, Reid 22.
In 2018 AJ played 2 games, Reid 1.
In 2019 AJ has so far played 6 games, Reid 18.

While Reid has unfortunately had some bad spells with injury, he has still managed to get on to the field for three and a half seasons worth of games during a period in which AJ didn't register a single game. Reid has managed close to 100 games at AFL level in a period in which AJ has managed 2 at AFL level and 6 in the VFL. It doesn't really compare.

Last edited:
He’s Carlton through & through now like Newman.

A bit snide. "If you take the King's Shilling, you salute the King."

Both Newman and AJ struck me as very loyal blokes who are consummate team players. I have no doubt they are intensely loyal to their new paymasters and their new team mates.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
A bit snide. "If you take the King's Shilling, you salute the King."

Both Newman and AJ struck me as very loyal blokes who are consummate team players. I have no doubt they are intensely loyal to their new paymasters and their new team mates.

I hate Carlton like no other.

Bernie Evans, Peter Bedford, David Rhys-Jones, Greg Williams, Edelsten, Elliott & brown paper bags to get the job done & then arrogantly boast their brilliance as a club.

I hope AJ gets picked up by anyone other than Carlton.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Of course he's only playing 6 this year , well within 12 months of a reco and i'd still much rather have him don't back than some spuds we have now. That was harsh , I like Melican , but he is suffering by not having AA or Reg down there. Anyhow that will do me on this.

That was harsh. Melican is only 22, not too many fullbacks in the league at that age. It is worth remembering what Grundy was like at 22 and where he ended up.

Bernie Evans, Peter Bedford, David Rhys-Jones, Greg Williams, Edelsten, Elliott & brown paper bags to get the job done & then arrogantly boast their brilliance as a club.

Agree. I loathe Carlton more than any other Club. I can add further names to the list of Carlton well known racing identitiess - Pratt, Collins, Nichols.

Still AJ and Nic have homes at the moment and I don't begrudge them.

Former Swan (more so Cat) and father of Matthew, John Scarlett passed away today.

Oh ... RIP ... watched him play many time for the moggies and us. John was a skilled and very hard full back.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Only one of the Group who has remained a Loyal Swan. Williams, Evans & Rhys-Jones Are Carlton Followers although A free drink after a Swans Flag won them over a couple of times. **** them.

Last edited:

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Bedford is a Blood through & through.

Was a baby when my Old Man was taking me to see Skilton and there are memories but they are hazy. Bedford then come along and was my childhood hero as a Swan up until the day he departed. Then came Kelly as an Adult. There's a trio for You. Would beat Carlton by themselves Ted !

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Was a baby when my Old Man was taking me to see Skilton and there are memories but they are hazy. Bedford then come along and was my childhood hero as a Swan up until the day he departed. Then came Kelly as an Adult. There's a trio for You. Would beat Carlton by themselves Ted !
My first jumper had 11 on my back. First autograph was Skilts. Was happy to see Kels play even in thst stretch of losses. Didn't matter when we saw the emergence of a young star Wolfy did it.

That's why I wouldn't miss watching this game for the world because you never know who might explode as a player.
Dawson is the one looks the goods for me.

Only one of the Group who has remained a Loyal Swan. Williams, Evans & Rhys-Jones Are Carlton Followers although A free drink after a Swans Flag won them over a couple of times. **** them.

Bernie was opposed to the move to Sydney and was in the small group that stayed in Melbourne. Inevitable he'd shift as the Melbourne based players were not top of the pops with Quade. Always admired Peter Morrison who was very loyal to Sth, Sth fans and Mopsy and refused to go. From memory he went off to Footscray but never had his heart in it.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What happened to Glenn Page? Between 1989 and 1992, he only played 18 games for Sydney, then 5 for North.
Wayne Carey has said twice this year on Triple M that Page was the most dominant junior player he saw, and often pipped him for B & F awards in Albury

Injuries? Not big enough?
Just not good enough at the highest level?

Back