Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Hey guys,

Wanted to crack open a debate/discussion of things you'd like to see or things you think may happen in the future as it pertains to sports uniforms and merchandise. This can be something as simple as new patterns or templates, or something like new manufacturing techniques and materials. This can also include pieces of clothing you'd like to see/buy in club colours.

Let me get started with something quite strange...

With 3D printing and plastics as a base, is it only a matter of time before we see nylon and polyester 3D printed in a strong, wearable form? Imagine players wearing single piece guernseys, with no sidepanels, no collars or cuffs, and each player having a kit almost perfectly fitted to their body shape. For merchandise, imagine being able to customise the shape of your guernsey, so that you can literally have your perfect fit, rather than struggling with sizing. If the materials were strong enough, imagine how difficult it would be for players to grab onto such a well-fit guernsey.

I think materials will become incredibly lightweight as the technology improves. They basically want the lightest material that is strong enough to avoid ripping every time you're tackled and will also take sweat away from your body.

Feels+like+i+m+wearing+nothing+at+all+_2ada8dd0433b85f4d45697e762aa9078.jpg

We are 5 years behind Euro soccer.
And have been since 1990.
In 1990 they came out with the sublimated material which allowed for the various printed designs.
We adopted them in the mid 90s.
Now we're where they were at 5 years ago with the different cuts and templates.
In 5 years time it will be more breathable material, though made stronger and a tighter fit for tackling.
As far as printed 3D type without a template, I think this is most unlikely, as it gives the club little option but to change design to maintain revenue streams.
It's one thing to discuss the functionality of jumpers moving forward, however they, more so now than at any time in the past, are a revenue stream that clubs will not risk losing control over, and/or losing the opportunity to change slightly to maintain new revenue.
Hawthorn won't change from being Gold and Brown stripes, but they can have new templates every year and still stay the same.
These days new season jumpers come out every year that are slightly different from the year before.
Moving to a non-template body hugging thing that can be made from a torrent file and $20 of material is not going to fly.

I wonder what everyones thoughts on the potential for padding in Footy is? I've seen lots of designs incorporating rib and collar guards.

I think safety gear is as innevitable as multi million dollar contracts, but fail to see how it would work with current technologies. I'm worried big solid chest plates would lead to injuries and then more padding etc, but q futuristic material that absorbs impact without outward force being applied would work well

Manufacturers have two criteria they must fulfill when designing.

1) Aesthetics
2) Performance

With both of these taken into account, I doubt we'll see any hugely drastic changes to the guernsey template for the next decade or three at least. Yeah we'll change sizing and material and we might even add sleeves, but I reckon our guernsey is fine as it is.

I think materials will become incredibly lightweight as the technology improves. They basically want the lightest material that is strong enough to avoid ripping every time you're tackled and will also take sweat away from your body.

Feels+like+i+m+wearing+nothing+at+all+_2ada8dd0433b85f4d45697e762aa9078.jpg
Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all (x3)

I wonder what everyones thoughts on the potential for padding in Footy is?
Expect with carbon fibre and similar lightweight materials, some form of shock dissipation, absorption and the like will be incorporated, either with foam padding over a lightweight skeleton (over the ribs and stomach) or something similar over a vulnerable area (think spine and the like).

I reckon we may see short sleeves again soon, but skin tight ones as seen in basketball. A few players who wear long sleeves are starting to pull them up their arms, so manufactures may decide to make a short sleeve version.

Plus, ISC, for example, already do this with women's guernseys on their teams stores. They have a very different collar (similar to a League one) and short sleeves

I reckon we may see short sleeves again soon, but skin tight ones as seen in basketball. A few players who wear long sleeves are starting to pull them up their arms, so manufactures may decide to make a short sleeve version.

Plus, ISC, for example, already do this with women's guernseys on their teams stores. They have a very different collar (similar to a League one) and short sleeves
If they bring sleeves in, expect sleeve sponsors to become common. Also, the ISC women's kits are essentially identical to the NRL women's replicas from ISC.

I don't see it changing dramatically at all.
I do think one club will completely revamp its colours and design though, it's bound to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see short sleeves being brought in at all. I think the basic layout will be pretty well the same, with guernseys, shorts and socks.

Fabric technology can and will change massively though over the long term, but it will still be driven by merchandise. You can't have a guernsey that can't really be worn by fans, like the Norwood spandex guernseys.

Footy jumpers have been pretty conservative in their evolution. The biggest steps come when new, cheaper, practical materials are released. We'll see some minor changes every three or four years (thicker polyester to that aerated, thinner stuff now; cotton collars to polyester) but it'll stay pretty modest. Which is a good thing. Even sponsorship has been modestly changed in 25 years.

The biggest thing will just be clubs all latching onto a tried and tested trend; Hawk's starting the white-with-cartoon thing, Sugar Daddys, retro-inspired jumpers, who knows what the next'll be.

Someone on here said last year the next thing is printing on the inside of the collar and they have been bang on.
I wonder if we will see much happen in the shorts department

Someone on here said last year the next thing is printing on the inside of the collar and they have been bang on.
I wonder if we will see much happen in the shorts department
They realise sponsor space on the shorts.
fedor-strikeforce-shorts.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back