Analysis "The game plan"

Remove this Banner Ad

What annoys me most is when people think a coach changes the game plan from when the team scored 6 goals in a quarter to 1-2 the next, when it’s often just the opposition playing better and your own team playing worse.
As an escalation of this. Many of our fans thought we changed the gameplan from the North to Gold Coast game. Yeah I am sure Ross didn't want to win by 80 points again because he'd rather defend more or something...

Reality was North were witches hats for 3.5 quarters in round 1 and Gold Coast busted our chops for 4 quarters.

We had a pretty clear game plan in 2012. Draw opposition defenders up the ground to create space in our forward 50. Force turnovers in our backline via tackling pressure thanks to a midfield that would run both ways for days on end, then get the ball to our great rebound half back line in Malceski, Shaw and Mattner (what I wouldn't give to have even one of those guys in our team today) who would quickly pull the trigger on a counter attack. Jetta and Goodes would beat their opponents back into the 50.

It was genuinely brilliant counterattacking football. Lewis Jetta kicked 45 goals that year because the gameplan was basically designed for it.

Problem is since then teams figured out that all you had to do was just not get sucked so far up the ground and it would hamper us a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back