Society/Culture The Gender Pay Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

it's not just a blanket war on women and paying them less because patriarchy.
It's all the bits that accumulate over the years and are accepted as common sense or the only way things ever could work out.

There would be better ways. Ways that don't force everyone into one way of thinking and working.

The absolute total war response to right to disconnect, paid maternity leave and all of that are examples of this. Employer groups see that as costing them money or putting upward pressure on taxes so they attack.

It's all the bits that accumulate over the years and are accepted as common sense or the only way things ever could work out.

There would be better ways. Ways that don't force everyone into one way of thinking and working.

The absolute total war response to right to disconnect, paid maternity leave and all of that are examples of this. Employer groups see that as costing them money or putting upward pressure on taxes so they attack.

Well someone has to pay for paid maternity (and paternity) leave so it is costing them money, the question is whether this is fair or not.

I wonder how single people who'll never have kids view things like that?

Well someone has to pay for paid maternity (and paternity) leave so it is costing them money, the question is whether this is fair or not.

I wonder how single people who'll never have kids view things like that?
They might not see the benefits of keeping the population able to feed their kids, or even have kids.

It's more work to align the profit motive with the general good of citizens, but pays off in the long run. The CEO of International Breadheads Inc sees his bonus shrink with added short term expenses so lobbies against it.

Because plenty of "journalists" write click bait articles about it, and quote random social media posts as sources. Media outlets broadcasting these views can make it seem like it's an even debate if they give multiple points of view equal air time (no matter how crackpot some of the views might be)
And we know why these journalists do that, like any other topic / issue.

So this issue in reality shouldn't be a debate at all. Put all the true reasons on the table and the debate is dead.

Vox decided to omit the 'mens earnings' trend line... wonder why.

FEMALE_FEMALE_2x.jpg

Compared to:

blog_denmark_gender_wage_gap_children.jpg

Men with children, can you give reasons how this occurs?
Lots and lots of babies that are born have fathers.

Lots of those fathers help with the raising of their children.

So splitting out women with and without children, while not splitting out men with and without children seems to make the chart misleading.

Hence leaving out the "Men" line in the Vox article.

Lots and lots of babies that are born have fathers.

Lots of those fathers help with the raising of their children.

So splitting out women with and without children, while not splitting out men with and without children seems to make the chart misleading.

Hence leaving out the "Men" line in the Vox article.

Shows what you are looking for.

Mens wages are not affected by having children, while women are.

What would be interesting to see the Primary Caregiver vs other parent, especially in Lesbian relationships.

Shows what you are looking for.

Mens wages are not affected by having children, while women are.
It looks like they do have a slight drop there. I haven't read it, but the line below the charts there:

Denmark’s generous leave policy might exacerbate the gender wage gap by pulling women out of the workforce for longer periods of time.​

And some other theories following on.

What would be interesting to see the Primary Caregiver vs other parent, especially in Lesbian relationships.

Would be.

So owen87 in response to your "wonder why" - my answer stands. The article shows both charts.

So @owen87 in response to your "wonder why" - my answer stands. The article shows both charts.

Yet never together... you have these three charts yet they never show that women without kids earn more than men, they make a very mild mention of it;

Childless women have earnings that are quite similar to men’s salaries

MALE_FEMALE_2x.jpg

FEMALE_FEMALE_2x.jpg

MALE_MALE_2x.jpg

Dunno.

Denmark seems to have some interesting differences to other countries, but also some similarities in it being more socially acceptable for women to be the primary caregiver over the man.

As for the gender pay gap over all, it's never been seen as entirely about prejudice or sexism.

Anyone who says it's solely about sexism isn't looking at the studies over the last decade or two.

Anybody who says that all the discussion around gender pay gap is solely about sexism needs to look a bit harder. Those arguments might get "boys vs girls" clickbait and talkback radio buzzing, but they're not the whole picture.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet never together... you have these three charts yet they never show that women without kids earn more than men, they make a very mild mention of it;
Danish men must be less assertive when asking for a raise?

Danish men must be less assertive when asking for a raise?

It seems like it would be noteworthy that women without kids outearn men wouldn't it? Given the whole discussion about the gender pay gap is about what women earn as compared to men.

It seems like it would be noteworthy that women without kids outearn men wouldn't it? Given the whole discussion about the gender pay gap is about what women earn as compared to men.
With all this you need to look deeper.

The women who choose their career over a family generally earn more money.

Therefore, there is little to no gender discrimination. Major factor is being a primary care given has a negative impact on income. Generally, women are the primary caregiver.

More importantly what do you say about it?
I say I don't know the details so I'd just be guessing.

I'm asking the people who brought it up.

Too many times I chase these things up to find it would have been perfectly explainable by the person who posted about it in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back