Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that makes sense I suppose, I mean you can knock someone out with a body shot but yeah I guess you can't rely on that happening, and a good punch to the head would often be more impressive to judges. It shouldn't really be the case but you can't assume the judges will pick up the body blows.

You'd certainly hope that the judges score the body shots, but no way I'd be relying on Olympic judges to see what they're meant to see!

I've watched quite a bit of it

Aussie Garside (spelling?) got cracked a couple of times. Got properly wobbled in the first (unless I'm getting fights mixed up), this doesn't bode well moving forward.

Our only minor medal chance I think is in the light heavyweight division. Semi-open division in terms of even competition but would need favourable judging

Think lightweight will be the best division to watch with Cruz, Davis (looked good first round), and Oumiha.

Jalolov is a beast at superheavyweight but this is a weaker SHW class compared to previous Olympics imo

Looks like we'll be back to work Wednesday so won't be able to watch day sessions then. Bugger

I've watched quite a bit of it

Aussie Garside (spelling?) got cracked a couple of times. Got properly wobbled in the first (unless I'm getting fights mixed up), this doesn't bode well moving forward.

Our only minor medal chance I think is in the light heavyweight division. Semi-open division in terms of even competition but would need favourable judging

Think lightweight will be the best division to watch with Cruz, Davis (looked good first round), and Oumiha.

Jalolov is a beast at superheavyweight but this is a weaker SHW class compared to previous Olympics imo

Looks like we'll be back to work Wednesday so won't be able to watch day sessions then. Bugger

Yeah Garside did get rocked in the first, the judges from memory seemed to have it a close round, again the power of shots doesn't seem to come into their reckoning. It wasn't even a standing 8 either, and I've seen a few other standing 8s from much softer blows.

Aussie Lightheavyweight too timid for long stretches of rounds, sitting against the ropes. Doesn't look good to judges

I personally scored him the fight but 1 and 3 were super close so it's hardly a robbery (2 was obviously his)

He'll have a decent pro career, looked pretty talented, and only 24. Wouldn't bother with the amateur stuff any longer

Aussie Lightheavyweight too timid for long stretches of rounds, sitting against the ropes. Doesn't look good to judges

I personally scored him the fight but 1 and 3 were super close so it's hardly a robbery (2 was obviously his)

He'll have a decent pro career, looked pretty talented, and only 24. Wouldn't bother with the amateur stuff any longer

Yeah I had no idea how to score that fight, I thought the other bloke clearly won the last but other than that wasn't sure.

Skye Nicolson is on at 6pm tonight

Andy Garside live now

So far going as expected against Cruz

Edit: Yep no chance in the end. One way traffic.

Last edited:
Andy Garside live now

So far going as expected against Cruz

Edit: Yep no chance in the end. One way traffic.

Probably the P4P best in the amateur ranks atm so got beaten by the best

Gained quite a bit of popularity these Olympics so wonder if he turns pro now

Babic is fun to watch but he is god awful. They want Hughie Fury which would be an annihilation...

In other news, Moloney v Franco 3 on Sunday is good.... But its a ******* PPV. Boxing has jumped the shark putting that on PPV. Ridiculous

Bugger!! Spence has a retinal tear that requires surgery. Fight off.
Yordenis Ugás has stepped in and will fight Manny.

Thats devastating as someone who was betting huge on Spence

Ugas is a good fighter but no idea why Manny would want to fight a dangerous yet pretty unknown guy. Wants a pay day and clock ticking i guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ali's grandson making his pro debut on the Moloney/Franco card today.

Sounds like he might even be the main event, which is a bit strange.

edit: nope, he's on before Moloney

Ali gets a first round TKO on debut.

Hard to get much of a gauge given how outmatched the opponent was. Looks like he's got a nice right hand on him, but a few moments where he looked a little awkward too.

Ali gets a first round TKO on debut.

Hard to get much of a gauge given how outmatched the opponent was. Looks like he's got a nice right hand on him, but a few moments where he looked a little awkward too.
That is always the way for a name/prospect, especially in the US. Get fed bums to fluff up their W/L record and perhaps get someone close to or on their level 10-12 fights in.

I gave Moloney 4 rounds but I was probably a bit biased and looking for reasons to give him rounds.

I suspect the scoring will be quite wide to Franco. Moloney had to work a lot harder over the whole bout to land his shots and started to get worn down in the second half of the fight.

I took the $4 on offer for Ugas which was nice, what was Spence paying?
1.57 at BF but odds were rising as the fight got closer. Think he was around 1.67 in the US too. Spence should have been 1.20ish

I didnt bet Ugas though, stupid decision there. Looked at 5.50 for decision and passed assuming Manny gets close cards. Good bet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back