Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Jeff bother ?? He wants to further his career overseas, fighting that bum won't help
because mundine fight generates more $. the guy in america aint a draw. mundine thinks he's the better fighter and horns camp feel mundine is the money fight

because mundine fight generates more $. the guy in america aint a draw. mundine thinks he's the better fighter and horns camp feel mundine is the money fight
He offered 2mil and Horn scoffed at it, if he wins the fight at the Garden he will have no issue generating money.

Horn will walk through Mundine and Mundine won't have the legs to back pedal and punch for 12 rounds.

Irrespective of the result against Crawford....Horn would be a fool not to fight Mundine later in the year. Can't fight legends and top pound for pound fighters every time.

Horn vs Mundine will generate good money. Bloke has to cash in whilst his body is still up to it.

mundine and horn will fight but horn aint much chop

That is what they said about Garth Wood. "He ain't much chop". He didn't need to be much chop, he was fighting a glass jawed, and feather fisted fighter with a fragile defense. Mundine just simply isn't a very good fighter. I cannot imagine a world level fighter in Jeff Horn would have too many problems with Mundine. I would be surprised if it went past 4 rounds.

That is what they said about Garth Wood. "He ain't much chop". He didn't need to be much chop, he was fighting a glass jawed, and feather fisted fighter with a fragile defense. Mundine just simply isn't a very good fighter. I cannot imagine a world level fighter in Jeff Horn would have too many problems with Mundine. I would be surprised if it went past 4 rounds.
s**t happens in boxing. I hope horn makes a lot of money in his career

s**t happens in boxing. I hope horn makes a lot of money in his career
Horn is a world class boxer, Mundine has skills but he is not capable against world class hitters, that is the thing that has to be part of a world class boxer, it not only means that you have a knock out punch , it means that when you land you always hurt your opponent. Mundine never hurts any one, but fighters down the ladder rung, when he meets someone with a little class and a big punch he suffers. Danny Green did too, but Danny had a bit more than Mundine ever had.
Its why I think Mundine is there for the promos' and the big mouth off to make money, problem for him is he is no Ali, he is just bum of the Month boxer.
Lionel Rose and Johnny, Famechon and Jimmy Curruthers, Jeff Fenech, Rocky Mattioli, I think these guys were all real champions , of course KostyaTsu, these blokes had that thing , that quality to go with the real best in their area, and Jeff Horn is one of those.
I still think that Mundine would get belted by Horn.
Mundine's Father was a good fighter too and probably world class but he had a glass jaw, Kahu Mahunga knocked him rotten in the end of a ten rounder on TV Ringside, and Tony had been punching him round the ring, one punch, he's asleep.
He fought Carlos Monzon to for a title, got knocked out, Benny Brisco knocked him out too, I think, but Tony Mundine won a Commonwealth title from a big name that I can't remember. So he was better than his boy. He also won the Aussie Heavy weight championship off Foster Bibron I think it was him, but my memory is fading a bit though.

Hector Thomson, there was a world class fighter who got clobbered by dynamite, from Roberto Duran, and I think people said that he lost his will to punch really hard because he could unch like the kick of a bull, I think a couple of fighters may not have fought again and maybe one died?But Hector was one of those few , out of Australia who was in that top class.
Now days everyone has about one hundred different belts they can win. So you have to be careful of what kind of attitude you have to three different world champs in one weight division, it needs to be changed back!
The one you never forget is Dave Sands , I think the yanks were frightened to fight him? Les Darcy, must have that that something too! But Anthony does not.

Horn is a world class boxer, Mundine has skills but he is not capable against world class hitters, that is the thing that has to be part of a world class boxer, it not only means that you have a knock out punch , it means that when you land you always hurt your opponent. Mundine never hurts any one, but fighters down the ladder rung, when he meets someone with a little class and a big punch he suffers. Danny Green did too, but Danny had a bit more than Mundine ever had.
Its why I think Mundine is there for the promos' and the big mouth off to make money, problem for him is he is no Ali, he is just bum of the Month boxer.
Lionel Rose and Johnny, Famechon and Jimmy Curruthers, Jeff Fenech, Rocky Mattioli, I think these guys were all real champions , of course KostyaTsu, these blokes had that thing , that quality to go with the real best in their area, and Jeff Horn is one of those.
Mundine's Father was a good fighter too and probably world class but he had a glass jaw, Kahu Mahunga knocked him rotten in the end of a ten rounder on TV Ringside, and Tony had been punching him round the ring, one punch, he's asleep.
He fought Carlos Monzon to for a title, got knocked out, Benny Brisco knocked him out too, I think, but Tony Mundine won a Commonwealth title from a big name that I can't remember. So he was better than his boy. He also won the Aussie Heavy weight championship off Foster Bibron I think it was him, but my memory is fading a bit though.

Hector Thomson, there was a world class fighter who got clobbered by dynamite, from Roberto Duran, and I think people said that he lost his will to punch really hard because he could unch like the kick of a bull, I think a couple of fighters may not have fought again and maybe one died?But Hector was one of those few , out of Australia who was in that top class.
Now days everyone has about one hundred different belts they can win. So you have to be careful of what kind of attitude you have to three different world champs in one weight division, it needs to be changed back!
The one you never forget is Dave Sands , I think the yanks were frightened to fight him? Les Darcy, must have that that something too! But Anthony does not.
Mundine is and was a better fighter then green. I hope horn does well

Mundine is and was a better fighter then green. I hope horn does well

He may be a better fighter than Green, but on a world level Green presents a bigger danger than Mundine. And the reason behind that is Green actually packs a punch, so he is a punchers chance (given that neither of them are up to world class). Green still had a punchers chance, whereas Mundine would be (was) KO'd at world level.

By all reports Jack Dempsey spoken very highly of Darcy at the time he was fighting. All indications point to Darcy being something pretty damn special. Old school boxing fans that I talk to also rate Dave Sands as one of our greatest as well. Good write up and knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great day of boxing today with Groves - Eubank Jr and Rios - Garcia just now. Few good fights coming up as well, Parker v Joshua, Wilder v Ortiz, Browne v Whyte, GGG v Canelo rematch, should be a good year. Tyson Fury was on the Groves Eubank telecast and starting to look in some fighting shape, maybe getting ready for the winner of Parker and Joshua.

As I thought Garcia just k.o'd Brandon Rios. Beautiful exhibition of Garcia's skill set. Inside jab followed by a beautifully placed crisp straight right through the jaw of Rios and that was all she wrote.

Check the KO out if you can it was sublime.

Wilder vs Ortiz is an interesting fight coming up. Wilder doesn't look to have great skills, is coming up against a very skillful Cuban in Ortiz. This should be an interesting measuring stick for Wilder. On paper it looks like a difficult task for Wilder. IMO if he gets past Ortiz then he shouldn't have any trouble with Joshua - who isn't overly skilled and will be there to hit for Wilder.

Wilder vs Ortiz is an interesting fight coming up. Wilder doesn't look to have great skills, is coming up against a very skillful Cuban in Ortiz. This should be an interesting measuring stick for Wilder. On paper it looks like a difficult task for Wilder. IMO if he gets past Ortiz then he shouldn't have any trouble with Joshua - who isn't overly skilled and will be there to hit for Wilder.
Yeah, defo don't want to miss this. Here's the final presser.. A good face off at the end.

Ortiz has a longer reach which is pretty amazing given he is a few inches shorter. How many times has Wilder faced a longer opponent?

Washington was close

Johann Duhaupas 2 inches shorter but same reach. Pretty amazing length for a frenchman. Black dudes usually have the longest reaches in combat sports, but you see freaky reaches from European guys here and there. Tyson Fury is crazy long. Pulev is decently long. Breidis at CW (200 pounds) is ridiculously lengthy. In Basketball Kristaps Porzingis is ridiculously long. Andrei Kirilenko 6 foot 8 with a 7-4 wingspan, pretty much the white Kevin Durant as far as length goes. Kevin McHale 6-11 with a reported 8 foot wingspan. Jerry West at 6-2 with a 6-9 measurement.

deontay-wilder-100115-getty-ftrjpg_1inhqxonyzq971fat2mqc32r0y.jpg

I really wonder how Wilder handles Ortiz's length and technical superiority. We might just be sleeping on his power too. Hell of a thick, powerful foreman like build.

Hyped AF for the fight tomorrow. Shaping up to be the biggest HW fight in the US since Lewis-Tyson. Preying for Wilder to win as I would love him to face AJ.

Wilder weighing at a trim 210 lbs concerns me, especially with Ortiz weighing almost 40 lbs more. Could really trouble Wilder.
I thought this would've been a ppv, but no, it's on Fox.
Definitely wasn't going to be PPV. Only the absolute biggest names are PPV. Wilder simply isn't big enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back