The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinda my point

no, your point was personal and offensive.

i voted teal federally for a person who described herself as centre-right. i voted that way cos of her positions on climate change, treatment of women, and transparency and bc she offered the best chance of getting rid of a far-right reactionary - which she achieved.

in the state election, i voted for a highly qualified lefty academic who had achievements in many fields. why she chose to contest i’m still unsure. sadly, bc she didn’t have the support the teals had she wasn’t successful. i not only voted green in the municipal election i handed out how-to-vote cards for him bc i knew him. and bc he stood on a platform of openness, transparency and accountability, something sorely needed. regrettably, as with most councillors, he fell under the spell of the administration and eventually fell out with the greens.

you see, i have formed an impression about you cos you seem to spend your waking hours posting here. i keep that impression to myself cos it would be offensive to canvass it as i don’t know you. but not nearly as offensive as calling someone a liar. particularly someone who is supposed to exhibit and maintain a standard here.

back to the greens.

no, your point was personal and offensive.

i voted teal federally for a person who described herself as centre-right. i voted that way cos of her positions on climate change, treatment of women, and transparency and bc she offered the best chance of getting rid of a far-right reactionary - which she achieved.

in the state election, i voted for a highly qualified lefty academic who had achievements in many fields. why she chose to contest i’m still unsure. sadly, bc she didn’t have the support the teals had she wasn’t successful. i not only voted green in the municipal election i handed out how-to-vote cards for him bc i knew him. and bc he stood on a platform of openness, transparency and accountability, something sorely needed. regrettably, as with most councillors, he fell under the spell of the administration and eventually fell out with the greens.

you see, i have formed an impression about you cos you seem to spend your waking hours posting here. i keep that impression to myself cos it would be offensive to canvass it as i don’t know you. but not nearly as offensive as calling someone a liar. particularly someone who is supposed to exhibit and maintain a standard here.

back to the greens.
you talk a lot but you don't actually say anything useful

you can spin whatever story you like about what you do in the real world

your posting on here is very pro labor and very anti greens

you are in this thread throwing around insults and attacking posters that engage with you on the topic you raise because you either can't or don't want to actually have to address their response to your hur dur da greens suck posts

really don't care what you think of me personally but if you voted right wing how you see your self doesn't matter, you voted right wing, you might have voted for a wet instead of a dry and made a change on the right but you still helped a right wing candidate win a seat

Good to see it isn't just her son who is a weasly entitled little arsehole.

"Top Greens MP is bulldozing trees and vegetation to add three $1.5M luxury townhouses to her investment property portfolio - despite rare wildlife living on the land in prime koala habitat"

Yeah it's a ******* terrible look isn't it.

At odds with her own party platform
She's knocking down a few trees to build more housing. I thought you guys wanted more housing.

You've been sucked in by a trash tabloid.

She's knocking down a few trees to build more housing. I thought you guys wanted more housing.

You've been sucked in by a trash tabloid.
I want more public housing.
I want landlords to not exist, housing shouldn't be an investment asset.

In the middle of a housing crisis where the party she is the deputy leader of is busy calling for rent freezes and public housing, she's increasing her own property portfolio.

Her party is against the destruction of the environment for profit and she's clearing land.

She's not the only green that does this.

To me it's no different to having members that are antitrans when your policy platform is pro trans.

They're not living their own values

I want more public housing.
I want landlords to not exist, housing shouldn't be an investment asset.
Is that an official position of the Greens? If not, I don't see a problem with her being a landlord.
In the middle of a housing crisis where the party she is the deputy leader of is busy calling for rent freezes and public housing, she's increasing her own property portfolio.
She's creating more housing in a housing crisis. That tips the scales ever so slightly on the supply vs demand ledger. It's a good thing.
Her party is against the destruction of the environment for profit and she's clearing land.
Cutting down 20 trees to build 3 new townhouses doesn't seem like an example of environmental destruction to me.
She's not the only green that does this.

To me it's no different to having members that are antitrans when your policy platform is pro trans.

They're not living their own values
She may well be one of the good landlords who don't gouge tenants for every last dollar. The outrage is unwarranted based on the information published.

Is that an official position of the Greens? If not, I don't see a problem with her being a landlord.
It's my official position.
The greens ability to tackle the housing market is limited when they have a vested interest in it.

She's creating more housing in a housing crisis. That tips the scales ever so slightly on the supply vs demand ledger. It's a good thing.
She's creating luxury housing, again this doesn't do * all
Cutting down 20 trees to build 3 new townhouses doesn't seem like an example of environmental destruction to me.
Of course not
She may well be one of the good landlords who don't gouge tenants for every last dollar. The outrage is unwarranted based on the information published.
I don't think there are good landlords.

Less campaignery for sure but at the end of the day they're profiting off peoples need for shelter.

All I'm doing is being consistent with my political views and not giving the greens a pass

It's my official position.
The greens ability to tackle the housing market is limited when they have a vested interest in it.
If it's not official Greens policy to oppose landlords, her actions aren't violating Greens values. Obviously she's violating your values, but that isn't a Greens issue per se.
She's creating luxury housing, again this doesn't do * all
Lol. I highly doubt it's luxury housing. Did you take that word from the tabloid?
Of course not
7 trees cut down per townhouse = environmental destruction? She may have chosen to offset that "destruction" through donations or planting trees elsewhere. If so, would you be happy?
I don't think there are good landlords.

Less campaignery for sure but at the end of the day they're profiting off peoples need for shelter.

All I'm doing is being consistent with my political views and not giving the greens a pass
While I agree the property market here is cooked, there's always going to be a viable market for renters and short term stays. I don't see how building new properties for the rental market hurts tenants in any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's not official Greens policy to oppose landlords, her actions aren't violating Greens values. Obviously she's violating your values, but that isn't a Greens issue per se.
Again they can advocate for renters rights against their own best interests but the only way to a) not have a conflict and b) advocate ethically to me is to not be part of the problem.

Investors reduce the stock available for owner occupiers. Building a property to rent out doesn't fix the problem.

If you want action oj housing and your calling for it while simultaneously being part of the problem you're being a hypocrite and giving your opponents ammunition to discredit your position.
Lol. I highly doubt it's luxury housing. Did you take that word from the tabloid?
It sure as s**t won't be public housing or affordable for sale housing

7 trees cut down per townhouse = environmental destruction? She may have chosen to offset that "destruction" through donations or planting trees elsewhere. If so, would you be happy?
No she's cutting down native trees for profit, that's against party platform.

It's minor but it's there.
While I agree the property market here is cooked, there's always going to be a viable market for renters and short term stays. I don't see how building new properties for the rental market hurts tenants in any way.
A lot of tenants would buy if they could. The needy won't be able to afford those houses, and 3 houses doesn't fix s**t

Government intervention to that extreme.

I see little difference between that and 2 year price freezes for Coles and Woolies, which I wouldn't support either.
But if the situation is that bad, it's exactly when government should step in.

But if the situation is that bad, it's exactly when government should step in.
They should step in with support, not control.

How do you feel about government control over share, crypto, and property markets? Is it about right, not enough, or too much?

This is a pretty dangerous policy imo.

How do Greens voters feel about it?
I feel great about it. It provides short term relief to renters while a more permanent solution to the rental problem (more public or community housing) is being worked on.

Long term and short term solutions go hand in hand. I acknowledge that rent freezes alone won't help in the long term, because the market will adjust to ensure investors can continue to profit at the expense of renters' quality of life. What will help is structural changes to the market to ensure a large supply of permanently affordable rentals are available (public and community housing, where rent is a percentage of income rather than a dollar figure).

But, we live in a high inflation environment with significant housing stress, and some people might become homeless before those changes come to fruition. What a rent freeze will do is spare some people from that fate and give them a better chance to be productive members of society and contributors to the economy, because those things are harder to do when you're homeless.

I'd only be concerned if the Greens were advocating a rent freeze without a large scale build of public housing, but they're advocating for both, so no issues.

Government intervention to that extreme.

I see little difference between that and 2 year price freezes for Coles and Woolies, which I wouldn't support either.
I'd rather just nationalise them both. Public ownership of supermarkets would be an excellent way to keep the cost of living low. Or I'd be happy to break them up into smaller companies if we could ensure one was publicly owned and the rest had co-operative ownership. But you and I will probably rarely agree on the right level of government intervention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back