Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

I gave Henry a massive blast in the game day thread after he got caught holding the ball last night and said he wasn't up to it. Yeah that's one I want to take back, he ended up playing well and got a clutch goal. Now he just needs to stop getting pinged!
Best game he has played for a long time IMO

This one feels huge to me. I was convinced Mitch Duncan would retire as a superb home and away performer who never had a convincing finals series. He has been one of our best in all three 2020 finals. Only had one official goal assist but had his hands in many, as well as three missed shots (so "point assists"). His hands in tight were brilliant at crucial stages of the game. He hasn't been a nervous Nelly, he has been a warrior. Well done Mitch - one more of the same, please.

Played the best two finals of his whole career with us in the last week for mine.

And that smother in the last quarter...

:handfist:💪

This might take some beating- I thought Parsons would be in our team ahead of Simpson. Simpson has been a revelation.

(I still rate Parsons, but clearly, out of contract, and zero games this Covid season, he will have to look elsewhere.)
Agree on Simpson. Very surprised at his poise under pressure and ability to read the game.

Picking how recruits will turn out is fraught with danger - no pun intended. As David Parkin has said it has as much to do with their temperament and adaptability as it does to actual ability.

I’m surprised how few people rated Simpson. I thought he showed plenty of ability from his first game, when he was very lightly framed. He apparently was also very impressive in the under 18s. Maybe people thought because he was a late rookie pick he couldn’t be any good.

Then again, I rated Gillies and Tenace highly after their first year and look what happened to them!

Agree on Simpson. Very surprised at his poise under pressure and ability to read the game.

Picking how recruits will turn out is fraught with danger - no pun intended. As David Parkin has said it has as much to do with their temperament and adaptability as it does to actual ability.
Watching Simmo in the VFL you could see the footy brain - and the skills - it’s just that sometimes it didn’t come off but the intent was there.
I posted in vfl gd threads that his speed of the game was faster than those around him and that as such he’d try things that were too quick for his teammates and would not come off.. or he’d not take the first option and get done for it.
He’s got mad skills and needed to grow into his rig more. Can’t wait to see how he is after 2 more preseasons.
Go Catters

I’m surprised how few people rated Simpson. I thought he showed plenty of ability from his first game, when he was very lightly framed. He apparently was also very impressive in the under 18s. Maybe people thought because he was a late rookie pick he couldn’t be any good.

Then again, I rated Gillies and Tenace highly after their first year and look what happened to them!

this one I got right - but I have a great wrong list too.
Go Catters

This might take some beating- I thought Parsons would be in our team ahead of Simpson. Simpson has been a revelation.

(I still rate Parsons, but clearly, out of contract, and zero games this Covid season, he will have to look elsewhere.)

Just goes to show the club knows stuff we don't.

Sam always looked clean but he also looked slow. In the faster games at AFL level he doesn't seem to need the extra pace he just makes others go the wrong way.
Parsons has shown much more at VFL level IMO and his early games in the AFL were good. Pity he was played when his confidence was shot (it was at a time when our list was thinner and we had to deal with a lot of injuries as well) . It did him no favours.

Anyway if North know what they are doing he will be on their list if he is pushed from ours.

Sam always looked clean but he also looked slow. In the faster games at AFL level he doesn't seem to need the extra pace he just makes others go the wrong way.
Parsons has shown much more at VFL level IMO and his early games in the AFL were good. Pity he was played when his confidence was shot (it was at a time when our list was thinner and we had to deal with a lot of injuries as well) . It did him no favours.

Anyway if North know what they are doing he will be on their list if he is pushed from ours.

Sam Mitchell was also considered too slow.

Mind you, I don't think Sam Simpson is slow, but the myth that he is too slow has persisted for quite a while.

Agree on Parsons. He has shown enough to get another chance.

Last edited:
Mark O'Connor - A few seasons ago I didn't think he would make it as I thought his kicking would be a fatal flaw - not only has be made a mockery of that he's taking the piss by hitting 45m switch passes off his left peg :eek:
Kudos to you young man :thumbsu:

I thought the main question mark on him was that he appeared to have a maximum 45 metre kick on him, hasn't held Parfitt back too much, it's almost like we've cloned him.

I thought the main question mark on him was that he appeared to have a maximum 45 metre kick on him, hasn't held Parfitt back too much, it's almost like we've cloned him.

I never worried about Sam's kicking in play . He is good on both feet. I can remember, watching him kick on the left for half a dozen possessions and asking a bloke to confirm is a right footer. His kicking then wasn't long but he has beefed up a bit since then. Hopefully he can get the distance from the paint now.

And yes having Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Parfitt and Fogarty all as small forwards for a bit was frustrating for a while there - all struggled over more than 45m. Even Ablett for a while couldn't kick over a jam tin (MUST have been injured). Was pleased to see Close could launch OK.

And just while I am chirpy, I reckon Parfitt has regained or developed quite nice acceleration . For a while I thought the lack of pace might hold him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t think Jeremy Cameron was coming. :D

I'm still not convinced....

I was totally wrong about Parfitt - ive bagged the craap out of him

He wasnt good against Bris - he was sensational - that is the best game he has played for Geel ( in an important match ) - by the length of the Randwick straight

Kelly left Geel - and 3 players Parfitt Menegola and Guthrie now all look and are playing like worldbeaters

He's gonna be a big boy, absolute truck in the midfield.

Should be a 200 gamer you'd think

He's 22 so probably stopped growing - was hoping he'd get to dad Sean size at 188cm and 85 kegs.
Sam is 180cm and 74 kegs but looks to have a solid frame and is hard at it , love his endeavour and skill :thumbsu:

If he does, so will I.

He was a very late rookie pick too. Almost felt like we weren't going to take him, and then there was a glitch in the draft tracker and the website and it had Sydney down as taking him before us...

Interesting how our last few F/S picks have been very low-rated and basically been a case of only taken because of who their father was rather than the system getting them to us at a good price, but out of them Bews and Simpson have become best 22 players for us heading into a GF. I would have hoped that Brownless would follow a similar trajectory, but that doesn't seem likely. Still, good value out of those two. Simpson's ascension this year has been bewildering to say the least. Didn't draw a line completely through him or anything, but I just wasn't aware he was anything like the player he's been this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back