The Interesting Scorecard Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, the match where Gayle hit Bollinger (or Hauritz) out of the WACA. They both copped it from him. Also the match a young Kemar Roach completely ruined Ponting's elbow.

Greatest knock by a visiting cricketer to Australian shores bar none.

It was ‘Ritz by the way. They’re still fishing that ball out of one of the salt lakes on Rottnest Island.

Look it’s a close call but the Boss still has it ;)
Gayle's knock was sensational but Sobers' was even better imo.

I remember that during the Sobers knock there were 2 fielders, maybe 15 metres apart, one just forward of point and the other just backward and Sobers was constantly cutting Lillee for 4 runs between the two fielders and they hardly had time to move such was the power of the stroke played. I've never seen a cricket ball hit with such power.

I can only think that you never saw the Sobers innings.

Gayle's knock was sensational but Sobers' was even better imo.

I remember that during the Sobers knock there were 2 fielders, maybe 15 metres apart, one just forward of point and the other just backward and Sobers was constantly cutting Lillee for 4 runs between the two fielders and they hardly had time to move such was the power of the stroke played. I've never seen a cricket ball hit with such power.

I can only think that you never saw the Sobers innings.

I’m just being facetious mate. Gayle’s knock wasn’t even the best knock played by someone called Christopher Henry Gayle in that actual series. The game before it he made 169(?) at Adelaide and earned the West Indies a draw at Adelaide.

But as far as players hitting a ball with basically unparalleled ferocity no I can’t say I’ve seen someone play like he did at Perth. Gilchrist a few times and Sehwag scored quicker and Warner perhaps had some innings as well but less brutal

I can only say I wish I got to watch Sobers play that knock as everyone who saw it rates it pretty much the same way you describe it

I’m just being facetious mate. Gayle’s knock wasn’t even the best knock played by someone called Christopher Henry Gayle in that actual series. The game before it he made 169(?) at Adelaide and earned the West Indies a draw at Adelaide.

But as far as players hitting a ball with basically unparalleled ferocity no I can’t say I’ve seen someone play like he did at Perth. Gilchrist a few times and Sehwag scored quicker and Warner perhaps had some innings as well but less brutal

I can only say I wish I got to watch Sobers play that knock as everyone who saw it rates it pretty much the same way you describe it
I did see him play at the end of his career and IMHO he is the best cricketer to have played the game. No doubt Bradman was the best batsman of all time but overall as a cricketer, Sobers was the best.

In his 3 years with SA, he scored the double of 1000 runs and 50 wickets in the Sheffield Shield twice.

And as Ian Chappell said, he wasn't a early to bed man. Absolutely loved a drink and often got to bed well after 12:00 AM even during test matches.

There was a story about him when he played for SA. I think he was "employed" by Coca Cola as a PR man but on a very casual basis. So when he wasn't playing (or representing Coke), he would play golf at Glenelg by himself, and it wasn't unusual for him to play 54 holes in a day.

Seems to be a really good bloke as well. Not sure of any skeletons in the closet....

I did see him play at the end of his career and IMHO he is the best cricketer to have played the game. No doubt Bradman was the best batsman of all time but overall as a cricketer, Sobers was the best.

In his 3 years with SA, he scored the double of 1000 runs and 50 wickets in the Sheffield Shield twice.

And as Ian Chappell said, he wasn't a early to bed man. Absolutely loved a drink and often got to bed well after 12:00 AM even during test matches.

There was a story about him when he played for SA. I think he was "employed" by Coca Cola as a PR man but on a very casual basis. So when he wasn't playing (or representing Coke), he would play golf at Glenelg by himself, and it wasn't unusual for him to play 54 holes in a day.

Seems to be a really good bloke as well. Not sure of any skeletons in the closet....
He's the one player my old man wishes he saw play. He's always said he never looked forward to a series more than 75/76 because it was the first time he got to see the West Indies live after growing up in Rhodesia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another non scorecard but a nice article on stats nonetheless. This was interesting.
Another Tendulkar statistic is a bit more profound. The first person to dismiss him five times in Tests was not Ambrose, Shane Warne or any of the other greats of the 1990s. It was Hansie Cronje, South Africa’s occasional medium pacer. Tendulkar couldn’t work out his dibbly-dobbly bowling and was often paralysed into strokelessness. In a seven-year period he made 56 runs at 11.20 off Cronje in Test matches, with a run-rate of 1.69 per over. A scan of Tendulkar’s autobiography confirms that occasionally there are truths, blessed truths and statistics. “I was never comfortable facing Hansie Cronje, who got me out on a number of occasions with his medium pace,” he said. “Even when I was in control against the likes of Allan Donald, Hansie would somehow get the better of me and I’d get out to him in the most unexpected ways.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back