The Jack Macrae Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

JH74

Draftee
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I remember watching Steven King say in an interview back in 2015 that he's got a natural competitive edge where he just doesn't give up and will continue to grind out games, even if he's had a bad quarter or a bad half. After hearing him say this I decided to watch Macrae closely whenever he started a game slowly and my god he wasn't lying. He works his absolute ass off to ensure he ends up with his 20+ touches no matter how poorly he starts. It's almost as if he's aware of just how many disposals he's sitting on and has to make sure he reaches the 20 mark at a minimum. I now start smirking whenever I see him sitting on 9 touches at half time (rare I know) knowing he's probably beating himself up in the rooms and will come out and end up with 33 for the game. It's an amazing trait to have.

Had 3 touches at quarter time and 11 touches at half time on the weekend. Ended up with 33 for the game.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's my favourite player. One of the toughest players there is, but is barely a part of the conversation. He will always take the hit, holding the ball for the extra second to help the team. I also think he is the best tackler in our team and his defensive stuff is seriously underrated. Gun.

Classic example of this in the Hawks game which possibly not too many noticed.

At the end of that game it was Macrae on the bottom of a pack getting crunched by O'meara when Libba snapped through his goal. He really is a quiet achiever and so glad to have him at the Dogs.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hasn't been enough love for Macrae of late.

Jacko reached 700 disposals for the year on the weekend, just needs 22 against the Crows to break the H&A disposal record for any Bulldog (M. Boyd - 2012).

He is only 4 disposals behind league leader Treloar, so he could easily finish the season as the leagues biggest ball winner.

Jack is also ranked 3rd overall in the league for Goal Assists in 2019 with 21.

I also didn't hear any else mention how good his ruckwork was against the Giants.

Rucks Contested: 1
Hitouts: 1
Hitouits To Advantage: 1 (Resulted In Goal)

Now rated Elite by Champion Data in Hitout Win % and Hitouts To Advantage %.

David King clearly thinks he should be AA and I can't help but agree. He certainly deserves to be and even more certainly deserves a lot more credit from the non Supercoach/Fantasy football community.

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jacko reached 700 disposals for the year on the weekend, just needs 22 against the Crows to break the H&A disposal record for any Bulldog (M. Boyd - 2012).
22 would also put him level with Matty Boyd's total season including finals disposal record from 2009. Considering the only time he's had less than 22 touches in the last two seasons was when he did his hammy against Port last year he's a pretty good chance of doing it! Keep those hammys limber on Sunday, Jacko!

Really hope he gets AA this year, he's way overdue for that sort of recognition.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Had probably his only dip in form this year. Great to see it only last about 3 games. His hands were awesome this week. Even won a hit out. I just love the bloke.

Seems to me Jack sacrifices his own game at times taking the heat and doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the midfield early in games Gets whacked from piller to post but allows the other 2 to get of the leash, especially Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems to me Jack sacrifices his own game at times taking the heat and doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the midfield early in games Gets whacked from piller to post but allows the other 2 to get of the leash, especially Dunkley.

I think Dunkley takes a hammering too actually, on the bottom of packs and also in marking contests.

SayerTheCreator

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Speaks volumes that despite being 2nd in the Ching, he has not been unanimous BOG even once this season. Completely selfless player.

A seriously underrated player. Get's tarred a bit with Hunter's brush for dinky kicks. Other than one or two games this year, his disposal particularly going into the forward 50 has been of a very high level.

His only area for improvement is to take and nail more goals once he is within 40 meters of goal

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A seriously underrated player. Get's tarred a bit with Hunter's brush for dinky kicks. Other than one or two games this year, his disposal particularly going into the forward 50 has been of a very high level.

His only area for improvement is to take and nail more goals once he is within 40 meters of goal
Very true. He often passes up good opportunities to kick for goal and finds a team mate instead. It’s not the worst trait in the world but he should really have a crack when he’s in a good position to do so.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Very true. He often passes up good opportunities to kick for goal and finds a team mate instead. It’s not the worst trait in the world but he should really have a crack when he’s in a good position to do so.

It's strange as his accuracy in front of goal is well above the competition average.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love Macrae as much as the next Dog member, however, I was watching the replay of the Giants game again today, and I must admit he needs to stop those under 15 metre kicks and handballs to a player on the ground or about to be tackled, his awareness at times is bloody shithouse. He needs to improve that, I’m sure it’s frustrating Bevo too

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Very harsh. For a guy who spends so much time in congestion, he rarely picks a bad option.

Inside players will always have some of the lower ranked kicking efficiencies on teams. The fact they hunt the ball in packs and tight congested situations, means they are more likely making decisions and disposals in split seconds more often than those who have time. Could his disposal be a little cleaner? Sure! But I agree he rarely picks a bad option. Hardly much worse or better than any player on our team

Both Macrae and Bont have shown in previous seasons they can be dangerous with their disposals. Granted both are down on usual effectiveness this year, but they will both bounce back

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So the numbers to look out for for Jacko on Sunday:

22 disposals to set a new H&A away record for the club
23 disposals for the overall disposals in a season record for the club
40 disposals to finish the H&A season as the leading disposal winner in the league

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
700+ disposals in a home and away season has happened 10 times prior to 2019 and in each case the player was either an All Australian, Best & Fairest, Brownlow Medalist or MVP. Treloar finished with 739 and Macrae is on 700 with a game to play. Surely Jacko gets an AA nod.

PlayerTM#GMAve.YearAwards
Wayne RichardsonCOLL7482234.001971B&F
Chris McDermottADEL7202232.731992AA/B&F
Dane SwanCOLL7002231.822009AA/B&F
Dane SwanCOLL7012231.862010AA/B&F/MVP
Matthew BoydWB7012231.862011AA/B&F
Matthew BoydWB7212232.772012B&F
Lachie NealeFREO7372233.502016B&F
Tom MitchellHAW7872235.772017AA/B&F
Matt CrouchADEL7262233.002017AA/B&F
Tom MitchellHAW7862235.732018AA/Brownlow/B&F/MVP
Adam TreloarCOLL7392233.592019
Jack MacraeWB700*21*33.33*2019

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So the numbers to look out for for Jacko on Sunday:

22 disposals to set a new H&A away record for the club
23 disposals for the overall disposals in a season record for the club
40 disposals to finish the H&A season as the leading disposal winner in the league
And no doubt he's well aware if all of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back