Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Melbourne and Monash dedicate two semesters to each of the major areas of law (torts, criminal law, contract law, property law etc.). In other words, you will do say 'Contract A' in first semester, then 'Contract B' in second semester.

The Melbourne course only does one semester on crim, property and torts law.

Jonoman89, because you spend 2 units on certain cores, does that mean you have less electives than what La Trobe/Deakin students have? If that's the case, we can just make up the difference in our electives; but our electives will be angled towards what we plan on practising in rather than wasting time with subjects which aren't relevant.

Both Melbourne and Monash dedicate two semesters to each of the major areas of law (torts, criminal law, contract law, property law etc.). In other words, you will do say 'Contract A' in first semester, then 'Contract B' in second semester.

From what i have heard Deakin, La Trobe, Vic Uni etc. only do one semester. So graduates from those Universities are only taught half the law a Melbourne or Monash graduate are. That's the major edge in having a Melbourne or Monash LLB.

Kind off. Deakin and La Trobe teach them under different names. E.g. Contracts B from Monash = Misleading or Deceptive Conduct in Deakin or Commercial and Consumer Contracts at La Trobe. Criminal Law B is Criminal Procedure and Evidence at La Trobe. Each

They don't "only learn half the law" but split the subjects up at different times. It really comes down to the emphasis each Law School Places on areas of the course.

Monash and Melbourne will always be preferred over the other law schools on face value. Although, from my experience, a 75 average and a balanced resume from Deakin looks better than a 65 average and average resume from Monash.

The Melbourne course only does one semester on crim, property and torts law.

Really? I thought the Monash and Melbourne units were identicle.

Jonoman89, because you spend 2 units on certain cores, does that mean you have less electives than what La Trobe/Deakin students have? If that's the case, we can just make up the difference in our electives; but our electives will be angled towards what we plan on practising in rather than wasting time with subjects which aren't relevant.

Well law is a 4 year course at both unis, i imagine there would be the same amount of units and thus less electives at Monash.

And you defenitely aren't 'wasting' your time learning the A and B subjects seeing as they are the most important.

Kind off. Deakin and La Trobe teach them under different names. E.g. Contracts B from Monash = Misleading or Deceptive Conduct in Deakin or Commercial and Consumer Contracts at La Trobe. Criminal Law B is Criminal Procedure and Evidence at La Trobe. Each

They don't "only learn half the law" but split the subjects up at different times. It really comes down to the emphasis each Law School Places on areas of the course.

Monash and Melbourne will always be preferred over the other law schools on face value. Although, from my experience, a 75 average and a balanced resume from Deakin looks better than a 65 average and average resume from Monash.

Really? I wasn't told that by a Deakin student. I was kind of stunned when they said they only did one semester on contract and tort law.....that's no where near enough to understand it all. Two semesters probably isn't enough either.

Really? I wasn't told that by a Deakin student. I was kind of stunned when they said they only did one semester on contract and tort law.....that's no where near enough to understand it all. Two semesters probably isn't enough either.

I'm a Deakin student & what 750ml Pump said is correct.

Contract A & B at Melbourne = Contract Law and Commercial Law at Deakin

Torts A & B at Melbourne = Torts and Misleading Conduct & Economic Torts at Deakin

Property A & B at Melbourne? = Property Law and Land Law at Deakin

At Deakin for criminal we have 3 units (Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure & Evidence)

Really? I thought the Monash and Melbourne units were identicle.

We used to have Crim A and Crim B, but they basically chopped some of it off and has squeezed in 1 1/2 semesters of work into 1 semester for Crim.

Torts is only one subject - unless you count Legal Methods and Reasoning as Torts A. We basically covered Donoghue v Stevenson and got taught how to tackle hypotheticals in LMR.

And we definitely only had one semester on property.

I actually think the Melbourne course and the Monash one is pretty different. Melbourne tends to focus more on the theoretical aspect and there's an emphasis on academia. Monash, from all accounts, more aptly prepares their students for practising in the legal industry.

Started taking this up as well part-time. Interesting degree.

So you'll call in yourself?:eek:

FWIW I don't believe you, you've written so much crap around this site showing such a pronounced lack of understanding of incredibly basic legal concepts making this just unfathomable.

The best lawyers areusually the ones who come up with the most stupid responses. This is because they know how to or find stupid ways to **** over the other side with their clearly illogical and unthought of arguments.

How does one go about getting a legal job as support staff, reception etc? Obviously I don't want to be working at a KFC for the next 5 years to support myself and It'd be good to get some experience and a referee.

Thoughts?

How does one go about getting a legal job as support staff, reception etc? Obviously I don't want to be working at a KFC for the next 5 years to support myself and It'd be good to get some experience and a referee.

Thoughts?

My understanding of how work gets them is that there's all kind of "business" colleges where they teach typing, phone answering etc where they source receptionists from and from there onwards, upwards to legal secretarial work.

Gday fellas.
Next year I will finish my final year of a BSc, but over the last few weeks have been thinking more and more about the prospect of going on and doing a law degree. Combination of not seeing much job prospects in science without going on to phd etc, and never wanting to give away the uni life ;)
Im currently at UWA and after a quick read found that as of next year UWA are not going to offer the undergrad degree anymore and it will have to be studied as JD, with the first year being 2012 which suits me perfectly.
Another option I'm considering is moving to Melbourne for a few years to study a JD, good life experience etc, want to experience the footy culture in melb.

Does anyone know what kind of criteria is needed to get into a JD, and would I be at any disadvantage coming from science instead of say commerce/arts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gday fellas.
Next year I will finish my final year of a BSc, but over the last few weeks have been thinking more and more about the prospect of going on and doing a law degree. Combination of not seeing much job prospects in science without going on to phd etc, and never wanting to give away the uni life ;)
Im currently at UWA and after a quick read found that as of next year UWA are not going to offer the undergrad degree anymore and it will have to be studied as JD, with the first year being 2012 which suits me perfectly.
Another option I'm considering is moving to Melbourne for a few years to study a JD, good life experience etc, want to experience the footy culture in melb.

Does anyone know what kind of criteria is needed to get into a JD, and would I be at any disadvantage coming from science instead of say commerce/arts?

Can't tell you much about the scene in Melbourne, but from my experience enrolling for JD at Murdoch University, all you need as a previous degree in any field, and a letter outlining why you would like to study law and what makes you think you are a suitable candidate for enrolment.

If you're thinking that employment prospects could be better in law, then you need to know that law is a very competitive industry. I have been told that there are currently more graduates than there are jobs available. However, by the time you finish your JD the legal industry scene may have changed.

Combining science and law can get you work as a patent lawyer, if that's what you're interested in. I wish you luck.

would I be at any disadvantage coming from science instead of say commerce/arts?

I am just about to finish up my final year of a BSc/LLB double degree. At the very least it isn't a disadvantage. It may even be a little bit of a positive as it provides a point of distinction from the numerous law grads out there with arts or commerce degrees.

I've done alright working my way through the process to hopefully line up a graduate position but more importantly I have chatted to numerous SAs and Partners with a science background who practice in anything from the to be expected IP through M&A, litigation, etc. Each of them has said they haven't found it a disadvantage.

I have a law/footy question if anyone could kindly share their knowledge...
What is the law about handing out flyers/leaflets outside AFL games? I'm going to be launching my website next month and thought when leaving the footy in Adelaide today what a great opportunity to hand out my promotion flyers the footy is due to large crowd.
Is it legal? I assume the grounds outside stadium are not Crown land so would need permission? Rarely see it so assume permission unlikely to be granted?
Thanks so much!

Depends on the temperature of your deals and whether they are in fact so hot that they pose a danger to the public
Akin to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, one might think.

As an aside - I do think that we will see an upswing in BigFooty members with user names like "HotDeals" losing their accounts due to spamming.

Hello fellow law students!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me... how important is your GPA? I understand the top law firms will chase the top students. But for the most part, lawyers are still fairly high in demand, and most firms can't be too picky... right?

Obviously, my GPA isn't up to scratch. I lost interest in the degree, and have failed a fair few subjects. Currently in my 4th year of a law/commerce degree, but have failed on average 1 subject a semester, and all my passes are mere P's. So have I effectively ****ed up my degree and will struggle to get a job when I leave uni? Plus a mountain of hecs :\

I was wondering if anyone could tell me... how important is your GPA? I understand the top law firms will chase the top students. But for the most part, lawyers are still fairly high in demand, and most firms can't be too picky... right?

Obviously, my GPA isn't up to scratch. I lost interest in the degree, and have failed a fair few subjects. Currently in my 4th year of a law/commerce degree, but have failed on average 1 subject a semester, and all my passes are mere P's. So have I effectively ****ed up my degree and will struggle to get a job when I leave uni? Plus a mountain of hecs :\

Depends where you want to work.

I'm only really familiar with the Adelaide employment market where supply by bar outstrips demand. If you were looking in Adelaide you'd want to be doing a shitload of work experience and working on those grades.

Unfortunately, law grads are in abundance and firms are picky.

If you genuinely want to practice law, then you can still do it. But you'll probably need to take an alternative route. I would suggest you load up in the experience department - volunteering at community legal centres, paralegal work, even just making coffee at the smallest law firm in the suburbs. Also, you might need to pay for the PLT yourself.

If you lost interest in the degree, I'm not sure if you want to become a lawyer? Considered policy work or perhaps something to do with your commerce degree? A law degree is generally looked favourably upon no matter your average. I don't know what uni you attend, but they generally have careers counsellors and talks about career pathways. Going to them would be a good step.

things may not be as bad as they seem.

firstly, where did you go to uni? obviously g8 is better here as crappy marks from here are often construed (rightly or wrongly) as equivalent/better than good marks from non-g8,

what is your commerce major/what are your commerce grades like?

do you have any interesting extra curriculars/what are your social skills like?
one of my good friends landed an upper mid-tier melbourne grad job with similar grades to you from a crappy law school, but just has a bunch of extra-curriculars and really good personal skills.

just make sure you cast a pretty wide net with your applications, and do what you can in the short-term (i.e. free work experience, volunteering etc) to improve your resume and differentiate yourself from the abundance of competition.

GL!

Hey guys, really appreciate the feedback. Been needing to pull my finger out for awhile now, so hopefully I can get my s**t back on track.

Depends where you want to work.

I'm only really familiar with the Adelaide employment market where supply by bar outstrips demand. If you were looking in Adelaide you'd want to be doing a shitload of work experience and working on those grades.

I'm from Adelaide, so seems like I fall under this category. Although, wouldn't be opposed to moving interstate once I finish my degree to Melbourne or Sydney - don't know if that would help at all. More jobs I suppose, but much more competition.

Unfortunately, law grads are in abundance and firms are picky.

If you genuinely want to practice law, then you can still do it. But you'll probably need to take an alternative route. I would suggest you load up in the experience department - volunteering at community legal centres, paralegal work, even just making coffee at the smallest law firm in the suburbs. Also, you might need to pay for the PLT yourself.

If you lost interest in the degree, I'm not sure if you want to become a lawyer? Considered policy work or perhaps something to do with your commerce degree? A law degree is generally looked favourably upon no matter your average. I don't know what uni you attend, but they generally have careers counsellors and talks about career pathways. Going to them would be a good step.

Really hope I don't have to pay anymore, due to having to repeat subjects and s**t, my HECS is already going to be close to 60-70k. Really not a good start, especially if I can't get a job at the end :\

Definitely going to take your advice on the career counselor. I've kinda just been waiting around expecting s**t to work itself out, probably need to be a little more proactive though. Find out where I really stand and what I can do from there

things may not be as bad as they seem.

firstly, where did you go to uni? obviously g8 is better here as crappy marks from here are often construed (rightly or wrongly) as equivalent/better than good marks from non-g8,

what is your commerce major/what are your commerce grades like?

do you have any interesting extra curriculars/what are your social skills like?
one of my good friends landed an upper mid-tier melbourne grad job with similar grades to you from a crappy law school, but just has a bunch of extra-curriculars and really good personal skills.

just make sure you cast a pretty wide net with your applications, and do what you can in the short-term (i.e. free work experience, volunteering etc) to improve your resume and differentiate yourself from the abundance of competition.

GL!

Still at uni bro, currently in my 4th year of a 5 and a half year degree. Although probably going to take me an extra 6 months to finish at this stage, so see how it goes.

I go to Adelaide Uni, which is a G8 university. So that can only help. As for my Commerce degree which I'm majoring in Management, the grades are just as bad.

Extra curricular? Not so much, but I suppose there is still time for that. As for social skills, I would say pretty good. The reason I originally wanted to do law is I thought I had the gift of the gab. Am able to play politics, and have done alright in part time jobs raising up the ranks pretty quickly. So I think I can handle myself in an interview and all that crap - but I'm struggling to find a way I will explain more terrible grades.

Going to start padding the resume. From the looks of things, legal aid and the ombudsman don't seem to be taking volunteers atm. But I like the suggestion from watermelonslice suggesting volunteering at a small law firm doing what ever I can. It would be a good way of networking, and that's something else I'm lacking atm.

Anyway, thanks heaps for your advice guys. A bit of a wake up call since I'm usually a happy go lucky type of guy. Will get on the suggestions for sure. Hopefully exams in 6 weeks time go better then usual :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back