Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a short story about that Wampa in the From a Certain Point of View book. But it's done well.

Kevin J Anderson was an awful addition to the SW EU outside of the broad concept of Luke having a Jedi Academy. I can't think of a single good addition he made.
Some people seem to hold the Jedi Academy series in high regard, no idea why. It was garbage. Every book of his involved a bigger super weapon (oh, hai JJ). So derivative as well.

Some people seem to hold the Jedi Academy series in high regard, no idea why. It was garbage. Every book of his involved a bigger super weapon (oh, hai JJ). So derivative as well.

Yeah I just meant the concept of Luke having an Academy, not the books themselves.

I was annoyed with the imperial sniper woman coming back via robot guts... You risk universe breaking lore with that, if anything can be healed and revived by a scavenger in the desert, what does it take to actually stay dead?

All those prequel and OT characters could've used that magic.

Except Maul.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I will watch, I like Rosario Dawson and if it explains her story, then it will be watchable in its own right. But within the Mandalorian, they needed to offer more than what they did for those viewers that don't watch the cartoons. It's far too fundamental a change to the very heart of Star Wars, which is that Luke was the last Jedi, then Rey, not to explain it. And it drew too much attention to the Thrawn comment. A far better callback was Operation Cinder, it was clear from the conversation that it referenced a massacre, no knowledge of the books was required, but if you read the books, it was a nice addition.

As I said above, it changes one of the most important elements of Star Wars, that the Emperor and Vader destroyed the Jedi, and that Luke was the last Jedi. I actually had the same issue with the Child being a former resident of the temple, though obviously as a baby who hadn't been trained, that's less of an issue. The idea that other 'Jedi' were just wandering around doing sweet FA while the galaxy burned doesn't sit well and just seems like an excuse to bring more lightsabers in to certain eras.

As for Luke, I'm with RJ, it wasn't a 180 turn ;)

I liked the series overall, these issues are mostly bugbears rather than deal breakers.
It's almost like you never watch these movies.

I was annoyed with the imperial sniper woman coming back via robot guts... You risk universe breaking lore with that, if anything can be healed and revived by a scavenger in the desert, what does it take to actually stay dead?

All those prequel and OT characters could've used that magic.

Except Maul.

I have no issue with Fett escaping the Sarlaac, that’s long been a thing even though it was in the old EU and not canon. Still, we got used to the idea of it.

You’re right though about the other stuff. I feel Disney overall took the piss with what the force can all of a sudden do. Summoning lightning from the clouds, force healing etc. It’s nonsensical.

Watching Palpatine drain the “life force” out of Rey and Ben Solo, which then managed to grow his nails and eyes instantly, it was all a bit ridiculous. Completely took me out of it and felt more like watching magic powers from say LOTR or Harry Potter rather than Star Wars.

'A wild dark side force user appears outta nowhere!'

Jack: :thumbsu:

'An established character appears that maybe 1 per cent of Star Wars movie watchers know to be alive'

Jack: :thumbsdown:
EFA.

Untrained Force users actually makes sense. People would have still been born with the Force, it’s just the Jedi that were wiped out. I take issue when the movies go to great pains to say, first, Luke is the last Jedi, then Rey, that trained Jedi start appearing with all kinds of bullshit rationales. First we get Ahsoka with, ‘she rejected the name Jedi, but was happy to sit on her arse during the rise of the Empire’. And you just know we are going to get Ezra because he ‘travelled through time’ or some such bollocks.

Star Wars is obviously a fantasy world but try to keep a little narrative consistency. I know they don’t really care in cartoons because kids are less discerning, they are just happy to see a cool character like robot Maul. But to win broad appeal, those kinds of things don’t fly, as Solo demonstrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFA.

Untrained Force users actually makes sense. People would have still been born with the Force, it’s just the Jedi that were wiped out. I take issue when the movies go to great pains to say, first, Luke is the last Jedi, then Rey, that trained Jedi start appearing with all kinds of bullshit rationales. First we get Ahsoka with, ‘she rejected the name Jedi, but was happy to sit on her arse during the rise of the Empire’. And you just know we are going to get Ezra because he ‘travelled through time’ or some such bollocks.

Star Wars is obviously a fantasy world but try to keep a little narrative consistency. I know they don’t really care in cartoons because kids are less discerning, they are just happy to see a cool character like robot Maul. But to win broad appeal, those kinds of things don’t fly, as Solo demonstrated.

Republic -> war - > Empire | Empire -> war -> Republic | Empire -> Empire -> Empire.

Some narrative consistency would have been appreciated where you got more than say a 20 second clip of Republic and the rest focused on the FO as the pseudo empire bitchslapping peeps v ship #12.

Solo was just a bad movie filled with people who don't like body suits, they should have maybe cg'd more than Maul and it might have been better, but only marginally.

There's a short story about that Wampa in the From a Certain Point of View book. But it's done well.

Kevin J Anderson was an awful addition to the SW EU outside of the broad concept of Luke having a Jedi Academy. I can't think of a single good addition he made.
Have you seen the deleted scenes from empire where a group of wampa broke into the base and they locked them in a side room... then when the empire invades you see C3PO tear the warning off the wall, then back to deleted scenes a group of troopers open the door to search the base and one of them is pulled into the room by his head?

Have you seen the deleted scenes from empire where a group of wampa broke into the base and they locked them in a side room... then when the empire invades you see C3PO tear the warning off the wall, then back to deleted scenes a group of troopers open the door to search the base and one of them is pulled into the room by his head?

Yeah it's great, I wish they'd left some of that in.

You think Maul was the issue with Solo?
Certainly not the only one but plenty of critics and fans expressed confusion. That’s what happens when you try to insert some obscure cartoon plot point into a mainstream movie.

Gone completely over ones head I was talking bout Snoke

I was aware who you were talking about. As I said, people still would have been born Force users. That’s what RJ was building towards, a galaxy full of untrained Force users. Instead we got clones and granddaughters.

You said it was like I never watched the movies. Which of these were mentioned in movies? And which were mentioned in cartoons and comic books?

I’m glad that scene was left out tbh

I was aware who you were talking about. As I said, people still would have been born Force users. That’s what RJ was building towards, a galaxy full of untrained Force users. Instead we got clones and granddaughters.
RJ merely teased the idea, hardly did anything of note with it.

You said it was like I never watched the movies. Which of these were mentioned in movies? And which were mentioned in cartoons and comic books?
I simply put up the list in case anyone was interested. Did'nt have time to go through it before work but your more than welcome to.

I simply put up the list in case anyone was interested. Did'nt have time to go through it before work but your more than welcome to.
I don't need to in order to know which ones were mentioned in the movies because I've seen the movies many many times. The answer is two: Obi Wan and Yoda. The rest are through supplementary media, largely cartoons and comic books, some of which may even be non-canon now.

the narrative is pretty clear, in ANH Obi Wan tells Luke that the Jedi was effectively killed off, in ROTJ we are told he is the last one, though Leia has Force potential. Then the prequels established just how effectively the Jedi were wiped out. Is there narrative room for some to have escaped Order 66 and been killed later? Sure. But the movies made it clear Luke was the last Jedi, muddying that for the purpose of extending storylines taken from cartoons or comic books is not a wise move.

Before Star Wars was for nerds, it was a mainstream blockbuster film product. Lucasfilm needs to work out if that's what it wants to be or whether it wants to be some niche nerd product. I don't read comic books but the Marvel movies are very simple to follow. They didn't start inserting absurd material likely to muddy the story just because it was once in the comics. They built up a clear, consistent narrative, at which point they can start to widen the material.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back