(Log in to remove this ad.)

stax on the mull

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Should keep this open for the players that don't play in the W-League. eg: Kerr and Galabadaarachchi playing in the UK league, a few in Europe (Luik, Chidiac, Gielnik, De Vanna) and some younger ones in the US College system.

Last edited:

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens
Should keep this open for the players that don't play in the W-League. eg: Kerr and Galabadaarachchi playing in the UK league, a few in Europe (Luik, Chidiac, Gielnik, De Vanna) and some younger ones in the US College system.
Thread is remaining open, but for all the overseas players news you can always post in the Aussies abroad thread.

Last edited:

Dixie Flatline

Saviour Sam
Jun 3, 2005
Leafy eastern suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cartagena C.F., NYJ, A's
Chloe Logarzo is not signed to Orlando Pride because the NWSL stepped in and told the Pride she shouldn't have been on the waiver wire since she was playing for the Spirit on loan from Sydney FC. Logarzo is now on the rediscovery list as a free agent.

stax on the mull

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
The Guardian is running through the top 100 female footballers, as voted on by a panel of coaches and former players.

Ellie Carpenter is 88th as the first Matilda.

Kerr No 1, but only 2 Australians in the Top 100 when we are ranked in the top 10 teams in FIFA.

Rose Lavelle comes in a 7, probably due to her performance in the World Cup, particularly the finals, but wasn't in the top 100 last year. Indicates how much of it is based on a calendar year rather than rating built of reputation of being a consistently high level player.

Really don't know enough about the 100 players to make comment ( although I've been a fan of Le Sommer from the 1st time I saw her in the previous World Cup), and the judges are from all over the world - probably means they don't see performances outside their leagues first hand, if at all.

One thing you see with the W-League is that Americans that come out here bring a standard that is far above the average W-League players - and yet most of them aren't in contention to play for their national team.

We are just battling away with a bunch of 12 or so players who on their day might be able to match it with the best team in the world. Think Foord is as good a player as any I've seen, including Kerr.

swingdog

Premiership Player
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Kerr No 1, but only 2 Australians in the Top 100 when we are ranked in the top 10 teams in FIFA.

Rose Lavelle comes in a 7, probably due to her performance in the World Cup, particularly the finals, but wasn't in the top 100 last year. Indicates how much of it is based on a calendar year rather than rating built of reputation of being a consistently high level player.

Really don't know enough about the 100 players to make comment ( although I've been a fan of Le Sommer from the 1st time I saw her in the previous World Cup), and the judges are from all over the world - probably means they don't see performances outside their leagues first hand, if at all.

One thing you see with the W-League is that Americans that come out here bring a standard that is far above the average W-League players - and yet most of them aren't in contention to play for their national team.

We are just battling away with a bunch of 12 or so players who on their day might be able to match it with the best team in the world. Think Foord is as good a player as any I've seen, including Kerr.
As the BTL comments on that article suggest, there's a fair bit of over-rating of players from certain European clubs (e.g. Lyon who beat up a league of minnows in France) and under-rating of anyone outside Europe.

Top Bottom