Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Three games against Canada to be played this year and next. One game to be played in Vancouver in April and then two games in Australia in 2021.

Westfield Matildas' qualification matches moved from Wuhan to Nanjing
On Wednesday evening Football Federation Australia (FFA) received notification from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) that a decision has been made to move the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020 Asian Qualifiers Final Round – Group B from Wuhan to Nanjing in the People’s Republic of China.

FFA welcomes the action taken by the AFC and Chinese Football Association (CFA) given the current health risks in Wuhan. FFA will continue to work with health experts, Government Departments, the AFC, and other stakeholders to monitor the situation and ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to ensure the health and wellbeing of all players and staff set to travel to China PR for the competition.

The dates of the tournament (February 3-9, 2020) and match order remain unchanged, however adjustments to kick-off times may be advised in due course.

It's a gold rush at the moment - you'd imagine someone like Ellie Carpenter would be having pounds or euros dangled in front of her.

Carpenter signed a multi year deal with the Thorns last NWSL season. She wouldn't be moving any time soon, but I think we could see someone like Steph Catley go to Europe next season (the transfer window for the WSL closed over night).

Bristol City are near the bottom of the WSL ladder, and they have promotion and relegation in England. I wonder if Logarzo has a relegation escape clause in her contract because otherwise spending 12 months in the Championship may not be so good for her international career.

Fear over the deadly viral outbreak in China has forced the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) to move an Olympic qualifying event to Australia.

Sydney will replace Nanjing, China for the February 3-7 tournament, which had already been moved from Wuhan, the city at the center of the crisis which remains in lockdown. The illness has already caused 56 deaths.

AFC issued a release Sunday saying the Chinese Football Association had withdrawn as host of the tournament, which includes Australia, China, Taiwan, and Thailand.

The Chinese federation said that it was taking the decision to withdraw because of the “current situation” of the virus in China.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully, FIFA take note of Australia stepping up to host the qualifying tournament at short notice when it evaluates bids for the 2023 world cup.

Hopefully, FIFA take note of Australia stepping up to host the qualifying tournament at short notice when it evaluates bids for the 2023 world cup.
I admire that naivety :p

Unless it serves their own interests (and especially the interests of the people making the decisions), things like this don't matter to FIFA

Looks like China will not be allowed out of their hotel due to new information on the contagious characteristics of the coronavirus. Tickets were meant to be on sale tomorrow. Not going to happen now.

I can see China being made to forfeit the tournament, which would be such a brutal outcome for everyone.

What's the pathway to qualification?

I know Nth Korea withdrew from the tournament recently which was said to make it easier for us to qualify, although they don't appear to have been in our group (unless there's already been a replacement team).

From memory in 2016 it was top Two from each group play a final 4 knockout. The two winners automatically qualify and play the final of the Asian Cup and the two losing teams in the finals fight off for a 3rd spot - which gives Olympic qualifications for 3 teams - but not sure if its the same deal this time.

China seems to be the only challenging team in our group.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back