Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of Tabs on the wing/flank as opposed to being a stay at home forward

He has a good tank and decent speed on him, plus his field kicking is far better than his goal kicking in terms of accuracy

His height would mean he'd be a great decoy in marking contests along the wing/flanks when we kick out from defence and Sandilands is usually the target

If he's gonna keep playing WAFL for a while yet - hell, i'd throw him in the centre stoppages and get him throwing his weight around in the clearances a bit. It'd also tackle the top heavy issue Peel's having. play him on ball for stints if his tank is so big, we've got plenty of talls to play the key roles still.

He did that before the bye get push off easily in the centre vs West Perth . That ruck West Perth had that day is big and mobile s.simpson .once he lost his tap work vs Griffin and sean Darcy he act like a mid something like what Geelong do .

How about goals. At AFL level he is on par with Kersten and Darcy Moore and at WAFL level he is 2nd on the goal kicking (14 in 5 games, 3 of which Peel lost). Pretty hard to kick goals from the wing. He's the modern KPF (just like McCarthy and Kersten or Lynch and Walker at Adelaide), it's up and back, help get the ball out of the back 50 and then beat your man sprinting to the forward 50. Tabs actually does it as well as anyone on our list. If you're a defender or mid looking for someone to kick it to when your transitioning from the D50, I'm guessing you're pretty happy to see Tabs on a lead having got separation from his man, as opposed to a bunch of guys standing still with their arms in the air and opposition players all around them.

Whatever......You could say the same thing about Grey, Balic, Crozier, Hughes and Logue who were all left out of the team in rounds 1 and 2. The point has been made here many times, we're just expressing an opinion. Tabs isn't in the team this week but might be in the following week. Either outcome doesn't make me right or wrong. If he stays in and does well tho' I might pop back to say hello :rolleyes:

I would think that shows a big deficiency if he can be pushed off the ball so easily - keep him in there to learn then?
He is trying very hard, I like to keep him but griffin need to come out or play as forward for peel reserve.

Tabs was a speculative pick rather than a sure thing like Darcy Moore could be referred to in the context of using a much higher draft pick to get him.

He hasn't cost us much in lost opportunity because there wasn't a gun player we overlooked to get him and I believe he is making progress in relation to his kicking and marking. I saw him play down at Fremantle oval a couple of years back and he couldn't kick over a jam tin but he seems to be a decent kick now. His marking has also improved markedly over the past two years.

Being second in the WAFL goal kicking is a sign he is doing plenty right as a forward game on game. Not a gun but he is improving and seems reasonably durable.

We may as well stick with him for another year or two to see if he can develop further.

Taberner would be okay against some team's 2nd ruck options- but actually quite like Johnson as that role. MJ has been more impactful the last 2 weeks he moved there, and swings forward when he can. Allows Weller, Hill to work off half back often.

Perhaps have Sand as sole ruck and MJ/Tabs to limit fatigue? If Tabs isn't working up forward change it around and MJ goes in the square. Allows Tabs to take his usual marks down the wing and get involved. Keeps the forwards and backs small- MJ helps out down back if needed, and vice versa.

As many has said before, Taberner is more of a Nick Riewoldt type. Nick has been okay one-on-one contested marking but uses his elite running to tire his opponents instead. Tabs is tuned for that. Riewoldt - hardly seen him in the ruck, surprisingly. Has the right height for it and plus he gets a heap of possessions off the wing.

I'd play tabs on the wing at the expense of Sheridan (in the 22). but that's just me.
That could actually be a good move. Sheridan's ball decisions were horrible last week and luckily didn't get a rebound on his kick late in the game. Tabs has more muscle and height then Sheridan, and I'm sure has similar if not better speed then Sheridan anyway.

Show me the stat of where Tabs does most of his work. The amount of times I see Tabs on the wing in no mans land making it easy for the opposition plus 1 to clean up. The guy just isnt dangerous.

Leading up to the wing to give an option and then delivering to the deep forward is pretty much the job description of a CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leading up to the wing to give an option and then delivering to the deep forward is pretty much the job description of a CHF.
With a midfield of Fyfe/Mundy/Neale/B. Hill/ S. Hill.. Would be huge. Played mostly last season without any of them bar Mundy. He takes lots of marks down that way, posters here know that

oh please it was a release the pressure valve move for when we were lacking real movement and drive through the middle. Tabs/d pearce/suban hoofing it into the forward line from a wing to harry taylor or whoever. yuck.

oh please it was a release the pressure valve move for when we were lacking real movement and drive through the middle. Tabs/d pearce/suban hoofing it into the forward line from a wing to harry taylor or whoever. yuck.

Tabs field kicking is one of his biggest strengths. Another unwarranted criticism.

Is there anything he wasnt good at?

Yes quite a few things, in particular contested marking, and poor use of handball. Seems to be working on both of those things.

The point being made though is that several of the things being said about him are inaccurate or incorrect which I agree with.

Tabs field kicking is one of his biggest strengths. Another unwarranted criticism.
If Tabs is kicking (literally the first time Ive heard anyone say his kicking is above average) into our 50 from 70-80 out after a mark against some undersized winger, because you know the defender has dropped off to intercept, you arent getting a goal. He isnt good at what he should be good at hence why we got two new tall forward in.

Reality is he's neither as good as some on here are saying, not is he as bad as some are saying. Delist a young tall forward, really?

He's still only 23 years old and despite what some might say he is actually improving. While he will probably never be the power forward we would love, he is certainly good depth and I am confident he will get a run at some stage. Then it's up to him to take his chance and cement a spot in the team. If not it's back to Peel to improve enough to get another shot.

There are a lot of much older players on our list than Tabs and there are some injury prone players who may never make it back - let's not talk about getting rid of a guy who is pretty durable, 197cm tall and is still developing. As someone pointed out, he's second in the WAFL goal kicking at the moment. It's only the WAFL, but it shows he is working hard and building his craft.

He's no world beater yet, but he's ours and I'm backing him in.

This is end of discussion until Tab make it to best 22 . Relax and enjoy Tab show today with peel, I am not asking a lot 2 goal , 5 damaging inside 50 to stranadica or other forward,10 hit out and a win with peel . :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back