Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to actually watch games of footy instead of looking at stats sheets.

Kind of assumes that I don't, which is wrong but hey, that doesn't stop you from dismissing the facts. I get that Kersten and Tabs are different players but can't believe the confirmation bias consistently displayed by so many posters. I don't like player X and think they're a spud so my sub-conscious makes sure I disregard or don't remember anything good they do but I file away there mistakes to re-run in my minds eye whenever their name gets mentioned. How does someone reach an objective opinion that in 45 games Tabs has done "jack" but Kersten is clearly best 22 after 42 games with similar average numbers. BTW, I don't think Tabs should get a game in place of Kersten, who I think has shown enough but should come in place of Logue. Now there's an unpopular BF opinion.............

Kind of assumes that I don't, which is wrong but hey, that doesn't stop you from dismissing the facts. I get that Kersten and Tabs are different players but can't believe the confirmation bias consistently displayed by so many posters. I don't like player X and think they're a spud so my sub-conscious makes sure I disregard or don't remember anything good they do but I file away there mistakes to re-run in my minds eye whenever their name gets mentioned. How does someone reach an objective opinion that in 45 games Tabs has done "jack" but Kersten is clearly best 22 after 42 games with similar average numbers. BTW, I don't think Tabs should get a game in place of Kersten, who I think has shown enough but should come in place of Logue. Now there's an unpopular BF opinion.............

It would be considering that it would reduce our mobility in the fwd

who I think has shown enough but should come in place of Logue. Now there's an unpopular BF opinion.............
Well is unpopular but I think is an option freo should consider, as much as I like logue if he and stranadica can form a lethal forward line in wafl , there is more option next year players fighting for spots in the forward line.

That makes it worst. IIRC Logue switched with Mundy in the forward line.
Not sure about that , I though one of Neale /fyfe/mundy will go to the bench together with Sandi with Johnson rucking at some point of time.

I thought Logue was in the fwd when we moved mundy back into the guts

It's a win for us if Sandy goes forward and clunks a couple of marks while Tabs gives him a chop out. On the other hand, if it hits the deck :'(. I watched Logue closely last week and I don't think we lose anything in terms of pressure in the forward half compared with Tabs. Typical of a very young guy, he's always reacting half a second slower than his opponent and the other players around him and some of his repeat efforts were lacking.........

I think the next stage for him is to become a dominant player at Peel over a block of 4-8 games (good for Meima's Peel watching :thumbsu:).

At the end of the day, Tabs is still important to Fremantle. Any injury to our forward line and we have depth
to cover, and if he can improve his ruck skills, even better.
I don't expect to see Griffen, Clarke, Johnson on the list next year, so posters wanting him gone, are being
short sighted, guys with his experience, size, are always in demand.
The other thing is we haven't seen him play in our forward line, so who knows what the outcome will be.
You would think the Crows would have too many tall forwards, but they back themselves in to kick a
winning score.

Would love to see:

Grey - McCarthy - Crozier
Kersten - Tabs/Ape - Walters

Logue being the wildcard swingman off the bench.

Looking back you can see why it didn't always work. Sometimes our 3 talls were Pav, Griff and Tabs - Couldn't get much slower.

I really can't see Johnson holding up for the whole season being the 2nd ruck/defender. I imagine an opportunity will arise at some point for Tabs to get a crack.

If the roles were swapped and Taberner was performing how Kersten is in the AFL and Kersten was performing how Taberner is in the WAFL then everyone would be calling for Kersten to come in for Tabs, some people have already marked Taberners cards which is unfair, he has been playing well in the WAFL and has shown in spurts that he can make it in the AFL, our quick ball movement this year would help Taberner out a fair bit and kicking from setshots he is a deadeye, super excited for him to get his chance and prove all the doubters wrong.

Would love to see:

Grey - McCarthy - Crozier
Kersten - Tabs/Ape - Walters

Logue being the wildcard swingman off the bench.

Looking back you can see why it didn't always work. Sometimes our 3 talls were Pav, Griff and Tabs - Couldn't get much slower.

I really can't see Johnson holding up for the whole season being the 2nd ruck/defender. I imagine an opportunity will arise at some point for Tabs to get a crack.
Exactly! Tabs will get his chance. Not sure why in only Rd 6 the convo has become either put him in or delist him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the second time this has been posted here recently, but it's just as meaningless as the first time. I've been watching and whilst I do hope that Kersten is able to deliver for us, at the moment he's just an average performer at best.

I think some of you are infatuated with the shiny new toy, and bored with the old toy despite the fact that at the moment they are about the same amount of fun to play with.

I tend to think that Kersten has more upside, but the proof is always in the pudding, and at the moment Tabs isn't even in the oven.

Done jack, much as Shane Kersten and Darcy Moore and half the other developing young tall KPFs in the AFL.........

Yeh, much as Shane Kersten, Darcy Moore and half the other young developing KPFs in the AFL................

View attachment 363609
View attachment 363610

Never let the facts get in the way of a popular BF negative narrative. Putting Taberner in the current Dockers side with the run and quick ball movement we're getting off half back and out of the midfield and he'll average 2+ goals per game IMO.

I think both Grey and Crozier have shown that guys who've struggled to make an impact in the past can come good. We shouldn't be writing players off who are under 25 and have shown a bit (or quite a bit, depending on what we look for and see).
Show me the stat of where Tabs does most of his work. The amount of times I see Tabs on the wing in no mans land making it easy for the opposition plus 1 to clean up. The guy just isnt dangerous.

Sandilands can't continue rucking almost the whole game on his own. At some stage they'll bring someone in to lessen his load and if Taberner continues to play well in the WAFL it should be him.

Bingo! Suban averages 12-14 disposals a game and butchers every 2nd kick. Ballantyne averages 12-14 disposals a game and kicks 25-30 goals a year provides he plays 20 games.

I would be happy if Langdon averages 12-14 disposals a game and kicks 25-30 goals a season too. That wouldn't be bad for a 21 year old.

As for Tabs, The best I could hope is he becomes a 30 goal a season forward.

Show me the stat of where Tabs does most of his work. The amount of times I see Tabs on the wing in no mans land making it easy for the opposition plus 1 to clean up. The guy just isnt dangerous.

How about goals. At AFL level he is on par with Kersten and Darcy Moore and at WAFL level he is 2nd on the goal kicking (14 in 5 games, 3 of which Peel lost). Pretty hard to kick goals from the wing. He's the modern KPF (just like McCarthy and Kersten or Lynch and Walker at Adelaide), it's up and back, help get the ball out of the back 50 and then beat your man sprinting to the forward 50. Tabs actually does it as well as anyone on our list. If you're a defender or mid looking for someone to kick it to when your transitioning from the D50, I'm guessing you're pretty happy to see Tabs on a lead having got separation from his man, as opposed to a bunch of guys standing still with their arms in the air and opposition players all around them.

I'd play tabs on the wing at the expense of Sheridan (in the 22). but that's just me.
Umm good idea too , but with Dawson out Sheridan become Ross new favourite soldier that do no wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back