Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the 2005 WAFL GF. Jones would have got more than 4 possessions. He played quite a good game and was eyecatching and quite flashy with his pace and cutting inside on his left foot along the wing. The little old lady was someone from the Simpson Family and obviously took a shine to him and tried to do a Ross Glenndening on the Simpson medal award. (By 2008 Jones would have been at St Kilda).

You’re right, it was 2005, but I can’t find the player stats for the game. But I do know Clint Jones kicked a goal at least.

They actually didn't say much about us other than how crap Fyfe's goal kicking was .
As others have said , beat WC and Brisbane and they'll start talking

Matthew Lloyd was extremely complimentary about us, especially David Mundy, but he said we wouldn’t win the premiership this year. Kane Cornes was also pleasantly surprised at the fact that we are 4 and 2 after 6 rounds.

I'm not Peter K Johnson btw who has plagarised my previous comments and posted as a reply on this twitter feed.

I was only at that GF until half time and saw Jones getting possessions on the wing in front of where I was sitting.

The 3rd quarter of this game is up on youtube and Jones gets at least 4 possessions in that quarter.

As a sidenote, there were actually quite a few (at the time) Dockers and exDockers playing in this GF.

Most notable was Roger Hayden returning from the broken leg that caused him the miss the entire AFL 2005 season. Ryan Murphy played as a key position defender, and Paul Duffield was down there too, along with Daniel Gilmore.

I missed Brad Dodd getting red carded in the 3rd quarter. Freagles Trent Carroll and Anthony Jones also played for Claremont.

Other ex dockers in this GF were Matt Clucas, Keren Ugle, Tony Delaney and Michael Warren.

Last edited:
You’re right, it was 2005, but I can’t find the player stats for the game. But I do know Clint Jones kicked a goal at least.
I found only official goal kickers from the 2005 WAFL GF and Clint wasn’t among them. I thought it was Commentator Glenn Mitchell that said he only had 4 possessions (prob being facetious). Toby McGrath won everything that year incl. the Sandover. Either way it was bloody funny.

I'm not Peter K Johnson btw who has plagarised my previous comments and posted as a reply on this twitter feed.

I was only at that GF until half time and saw Jones getting possessions on the wing in front of where I was sitting.

The 3rd quarter of this game is up on youtube and Jones gets at least 4 possessions in that quarter.

As a sidenote, there were actually quite a few (at the time) Dockers and exDockers playing in this GF.

Most notable was Roger Hayden returning from the broken leg that caused him the miss the entire AFL 2005 season. Ryan Murphy played as a key position defender, and Paul Duffield was down there too, along with Daniel Gilmore.

I missed Brad Dodd getting red carded in the 3rd quarter. Freagles Trent Carroll and Anthony Jones also played for Claremont.

Other ex dockers in this GF were Matt Clucas, Keren Ugle, Tony Delaney and Michael Warren.
Anthony Jones was never an eagle. Please god I hope you were not confusing him with rowan Jones?

I also can't find the stats, but Jones is listed as 5th best on the wikipedia entry for the game. This 4 touches stuff is nonsense.

I found only official goal kickers from the 2005 WAFL GF and Clint wasn’t among them. I thought it was Commentator Glenn Mitchell that said he only had 4 possessions (prob being facetious). Toby McGrath won everything that year incl. the Sandover. Either way it was bloody funny.

1619571340381.png

Last edited:
Mundy got a mention as leading the coaches votes, and there was a montage with a Fyfe mark in it.

Yes - we were playing North, there was no crowd and the game was up against another big game between Richmond and Melbourne.

Saying that, I always wondered why the AFL only caters for big marquee games in Melbourne, and not anywhere else ? Do they feel that in Perth and Adelaide, the crowds will turn up regardless, and that the teams don't need national exposure for sponsors ?
TV.

Will a marquee game in Perth or Adelaide or elsewhere rate? That is the big question..

For instance, The Showdown rates better than the Derby. So the Showdown regularly gets Saturday night whereas the Derby gets whenever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TV.

Will a marquee game in Perth or Adelaide or elsewhere rate? That is the big question..

For instance, The Showdown rates better than the Derby. So the Showdown regularly gets Saturday night whereas the Derby gets whenever.
Are you sure?

In Adelaide, the citys ratings tanked in 2020, down 16% on 2019 to 80,000 viewers per game. AFL Minor Premiers Port Adelaide scored the bragging rights this year with an average audience of 101,000, while the Crows managed 86,000 on their home screens on Seven

In Perth, the ratings drop was less dramatic, down 5.2% to an average of just over 92,000. Fremantle averaged 108,000 viewers per match, while West Coast averaged 143,000 per game .

In Adelaide, the highest rating game was Round 8s Showdown with 187,000 viewers. The second Showdown rated only 4th with 170,000 viewers.

Finally, to Perth, where the highest rating game was the Western Derby in Round 16 with 235,000 viewers. The first derby in round 4 was the second highest with 228,000.

Are you sure?

In Adelaide, the citys ratings tanked in 2020, down 16% on 2019 to 80,000 viewers per game. AFL Minor Premiers Port Adelaide scored the bragging rights this year with an average audience of 101,000, while the Crows managed 86,000 on their home screens on Seven

In Perth, the ratings drop was less dramatic, down 5.2% to an average of just over 92,000. Fremantle averaged 108,000 viewers per match, while West Coast averaged 143,000 per game .

In Adelaide, the highest rating game was Round 8s Showdown with 187,000 viewers. The second Showdown rated only 4th with 170,000 viewers.

Finally, to Perth, where the highest rating game was the Western Derby in Round 16 with 235,000 viewers. The first derby in round 4 was the second highest with 228,000.

Doesn't the ratings in Melbourne matter more than anywhere else?

I feel the media coverage in this leadup is way off.

Eagles are not that bad and we are not that good. Reckon this should be 55-45 West Coast's way but it feels like everyone is pegging this 60-40 our way.
frankly it's making me uncomfortable the way we're being talked up ahead of this derby. can easily see West Coast coming out hot after last week, kick 3 of the first 4 and then the game just goes into a holding pattern from there

frankly it's making me uncomfortable the way we're being talked up ahead of this derby. can easily see West Coast coming out hot after last week, kick 3 of the first 4 and then the game just goes into a holding pattern from there
That is almost exactly what I think happens.

If we'd beat a couple of finals sides in the way we have won our games, I'd say the optimism was warranted. We didn't. All our wins are bottom 8 and possibly even bottom 6 clubs.

None of the Dogs, Melbourne, Port, Geelong, Sydney, Fremantle, Richmond or Brisbane have beaten a team above them on the ladder yet either.

The entire top eight has only beaten teams below them on the ladder. That will sort itself out.
True, but the eye test on our best I don't think suggests a finals side.

The eye test on the Eagles best easily does (Port and Dogs).

True, but the eye test on our best I don't think suggests a finals side.

The eye test on the Eagles best easily does (Port and Dogs).
I agree. We need a scalp to have any credentials. We are beating the teams we are expected to beat and haven't shown our method stands up against proven sides which puts us right in the middle of the pack.

We need a trophy kill or two. We have the chance in the next two weeks.

I agree. We need a scalp to have any credentials. We are beating the teams we are expected to beat and haven't shown our method stands up against proven sides which puts us right in the middle of the pack.

We need a trophy kill or two. We have the chance in the next two weeks.
On reflection, round 1 could have been our statement game.

We battered Melbourne around the contest with Meek in the ruck. Of course, we couldn't kick or handball so it was all for nought.

I was at that 2005 WAFL GF and sitting at the fence, looking directly at the presentation. I remember being totally confused because I couldn't really hear what was being said, the PA wasn't that great. I had no clear idea what was going on, I wondered if maybe two medals had been awarded. I do remember having this awful feeling that I was watching amateur hour in full swing. Bad sound, presentation stuff ups, not a great look for the WAFL that day.

They always start fast. They kicked 3 of the first 4 against the Cats. If we get on top in the middle we could easily get it back on our terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back