Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article:

Former Fremantle assistant coach Peter Sumich believes the Dockers could be on the verge of a player exodus, headed by Victorian ruckman Sean Darcy.

Sumich, who left the Dockers after a five-year stint as an assistant coach and 11 seasons at West Coast, took issue with the Dockers’ drafting of prospects outside of WA, warning they could be set to head back to their home states if success doesn’t materialise soon for the club.

Darcy, who was drafted in 2016 from the Geelong Falcons and is contracted to Fremantle until the end of 2022, was one of a number of players Sumich believes could be homeward bound.

“I’m hearing big time he wants to go back to Geelong,” he told SportFM, before urging the Dockers to go after Western Bulldogs ruckman and WA local Tim English, another player who is contracted until the end of 2022.

“If that’s the case, they should put all their eggs in one basket there and try to get Tim English. I don’t know if Tim will want to come because at the end of the day he’s at a club that’s going really well.

“You think they’re going to go well for the next two or three years, they might pinch another premiership like they did in ‘16. He’s probably going ‘I want to stay here. It’s a club that’s a winning club and that’s where I want to stay’.

“I think Fremantle’s got to go hard at him and hopefully they can pinch him. Money talks, but it’s not everything. Premierships in my opinion are the way to go.”

Joining the list of players Sumich believes may want to return to Victoria is Adam Cerra and Darcy Tucker.

Cerra, a gun young midfielder, was reportedly offered a four-year deal in March, but was keen to entertain a shorter deal that could allow him to get a better sense of the club’s direction before committing long-term.

Tucker looked set for another promising season of development in the midfield in 2020 before a significant hamstring injury saw the 24-year-old’s season cut short after just eight rounds.

“I reckon Adam Cerra is going to go home. He hasn’t signed yet, he’s a Victorian, he’s looking at Fremantle going, ‘Are they the team that’s going to play finals or win a premiership?’ Right not he’s probably going not really,” Sumich said.

“Fyfe is going to retire in two or three years time, Mundy at the end of the year, where does that leave it? They haven’t really got bookends you’d say are going to win them a premiership. He’s bound to go home.

“I’m hearing Darcy Tucker wants to go to Geelong and Darcy the ruckman, Geelong are chasing him. All these Victorians are going to want to go home and we’ve got WA products that keep going out of our state.”

Who were the players Sumich was encouraging us to draft in 2017 with picks 2 and 5? Was it Naughtan and Oscar Allen?

The article:

Former Fremantle assistant coach Peter Sumich believes the Dockers could be on the verge of a player exodus, headed by Victorian ruckman Sean Darcy.

Sumich, who left the Dockers after a five-year stint as an assistant coach and 11 seasons at West Coast, took issue with the Dockers’ drafting of prospects outside of WA, warning they could be set to head back to their home states if success doesn’t materialise soon for the club.

Darcy, who was drafted in 2016 from the Geelong Falcons and is contracted to Fremantle until the end of 2022, was one of a number of players Sumich believes could be homeward bound.

“I’m hearing big time he wants to go back to Geelong,” he told SportFM, before urging the Dockers to go after Western Bulldogs ruckman and WA local Tim English, another player who is contracted until the end of 2022.

“If that’s the case, they should put all their eggs in one basket there and try to get Tim English. I don’t know if Tim will want to come because at the end of the day he’s at a club that’s going really well.

“You think they’re going to go well for the next two or three years, they might pinch another premiership like they did in ‘16. He’s probably going ‘I want to stay here. It’s a club that’s a winning club and that’s where I want to stay’.

“I think Fremantle’s got to go hard at him and hopefully they can pinch him. Money talks, but it’s not everything. Premierships in my opinion are the way to go.”

Joining the list of players Sumich believes may want to return to Victoria is Adam Cerra and Darcy Tucker.

Cerra, a gun young midfielder, was reportedly offered a four-year deal in March, but was keen to entertain a shorter deal that could allow him to get a better sense of the club’s direction before committing long-term.

Tucker looked set for another promising season of development in the midfield in 2020 before a significant hamstring injury saw the 24-year-old’s season cut short after just eight rounds.

“I reckon Adam Cerra is going to go home. He hasn’t signed yet, he’s a Victorian, he’s looking at Fremantle going, ‘Are they the team that’s going to play finals or win a premiership?’ Right not he’s probably going not really,” Sumich said.

“Fyfe is going to retire in two or three years time, Mundy at the end of the year, where does that leave it? They haven’t really got bookends you’d say are going to win them a premiership. He’s bound to go home.

“I’m hearing Darcy Tucker wants to go to Geelong and Darcy the ruckman, Geelong are chasing him. All these Victorians are going to want to go home and we’ve got WA products that keep going out of our state.”
Sumich = peanut. He’s way too close to the WA boys through his U18 connection and has always been a cheerleader for the local teams to draft locals.
Darcy has been linked to Geelong since day 1.
Tucker has done two hammies in the space of 20 minutes of football and he’s not been very consistent over the journey anyway.
Cerra is starting to look like he wants out but I reckon Brayshaw and Serong have gone past him this year, mainly due to the fact they are 100% committed. Cerra will also give us trade currency to get a KPF in the door, either through high draft picks or a trade (no obvious ones come to mind, no way Naughton is gettable yet IMO).
Fyfe has 4 plus years left unless he gets concussed again, not 2 or 3.
The bookend comment makes sense from our current availability but not our list. Hamling/Pearce, Cox, Darcy/Meek, Lobb/Tabs/Treacy isn’t too bad really but it’s the seriously exposed lack of options beyond that which is of concern.

Sumich = peanut. He’s way too close to the WA boys through his U18 connection and has always been a cheerleader for the local teams to draft locals.
Darcy has been linked to Geelong since day 1.
Tucker has done two hammies in the space of 20 minutes of football and he’s not been very consistent over the journey anyway.
Cerra is starting to look like he wants out but I reckon Brayshaw and Serong have gone past him this year, mainly due to the fact they are 100% committed. Cerra will also give us trade currency to get a KPF in the door, either through high draft picks or a trade (no obvious ones come to mind, no way Naughton is gettable yet IMO).
Fyfe has 4 plus years left unless he gets concussed again, not 2 or 3.
The bookend comment makes sense from our current availability but not our list. Hamling/Pearce, Cox, Darcy/Meek, Lobb/Tabs/Treacy isn’t too bad really but it’s the seriously exposed lack of options beyond that which is of concern.
I got this far into the article - "..warning they could be set to head back to their home states if success doesn’t materialise soon for the club" and realised he was speculating, and the article contained about as much nutritional substance as a slice of Wonder White!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumich has got a regular gig on sport fm now, so he has to come up with stuff. There's a new Saturday morning football panel show starting this week on Sport Fm that he'll be on, as well as his spots on sport fm breakfast.

He's stuff is not that reliable. One of his "i'm hearing that..." from the start of the season was Sumich saying Tim Kelly has a broken collarbone (his explanation for a couple of missed training appearances).

This stuff about Fremantle's Victorian recruits wanting to go home is something we all contemplate. Doesn't mean its going to happen.

I never take what Duffield says about the Dockers as being complete gospel though. I think for varying reasons he's prone to apply some fairly strong filters/interpretations that undermine the accuracy of what he says. An illustration of this was when he was on the radio decrying the Dockers goal kicking accuracy and upselling the WC's skills work as an example Freo should follow. Of course, when I checked the season's points/goals ratio the WC was worse than Freo's.
In which alternate universe was that statistic taken from please ?

If you're right about this dodgy sponsorship stuff why aren't we doing it lol
I don't think Woodside has any need for local marketing. We need a company that is trying to sell product to local buyers with television commercials.

Plus, we are in a saturated West Coast market of casual supporters - the best we can hope for would be pairs of players, one from each of West Coast and Freo appearing side by side on the marketing material.

Something like a Maccas Ronald McDonald House imitative that has both Oscar Allen and Adam Cerra as ambassadors for the cause, on television letting you know that when it comes to children's health "we stand as one" and that part of all proceeds over the Derby weekend go towards supporting Ronald McDonald House.

Starlight would want in too with their takings from the ground itself.

It's about making it look like charity, but both Allen and Cerra would be very well compensated for their appearances and for the advertisement on TV.

And yes, we don't have Seven on board to market it all for us.

Sumich has got a regular gig on sport fm now, so he has to come up with stuff. There's a new Saturday morning football panel show starting this week on Sport Fm that he'll be on, as well as his spots on sport fm breakfast.

He's stuff is not that reliable. One of his "i'm hearing that..." from the start of the season was Sumich saying Tim Kelly has a broken collarbone (his explanation for a couple of missed training appearances).

This stuff about Fremantle's Victorian recruits wanting to go home is something we all contemplate. Doesn't mean its going to happen.
Didn't Hagdorn get the flick from SportFM a couple of weeks back due to all his baseless claims? One thinks Sumich won't be too far behind.

Putting 3-4 years into guys only to swap them out for draft picks is rebuild hell. It means you are condeming yourself to the bottom 6 for a decade or more
This is the purgatory ( for those Catholics out there ) that I was trying to explain in another thread .
It's like a repeating bad dream

Does this make us the most unsuccessful club in recent times?
No I'm pretty sure I did this exercise last year
Finals aside , If you go back and look at ladder positions over the last 25- 30 years ( from memory ) and ICBF looking at it again we weren't the worst
I believe Carlton and maybe St Kilda featured lower than us

No I'm pretty sure I did this exercise last year
Finals aside , If you go back and look at ladder positions over the last 25- 30 years ( from memory ) and ICBF looking at it again we weren't the worst
I believe Carlton and maybe St Kilda featured lower than us
If last 20 years you could probably throw Melbourne in too? They were Fitzroy bad for years.

Interesting stuff. Barlow and Neale would have been 2 biggies to miss out on. Elliot Yeo would have been handy though. Priddis and Andrew Swallow too. I think we improved a lot from 2008 onwards in our selections. 2010-2013 drafts were f’ed up by the expansion clubs anyway.

My memory is that Barlow was training at Essendon and Hardingham was linked to Fremantle. The Bombers took Hardingham before out pick and we responded by taking Barlow.

My memory is that Barlow was training at Essendon and Hardingham was linked to Fremantle. The Bombers took Hardingham before out pick and we responded by taking Barlow.
And they took Hardingham because McPhee strung them along before being picked up in the PSD by us. So they were a mature tall short.

And they took Hardingham because McPhee strung them along before being picked up in the PSD by us. So they were a mature tall short.
What I’d give to have McPhee now...
His 2012 EF was immense but got overshadowed by the great man Matthew Pavlich’s finest game in the purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back