Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Tabs, Marathon man

Attachments

• 3386BEAC-2297-4561-9B94-05259A41BDBD.png
    3386BEAC-2297-4561-9B94-05259A41BDBD.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 185
Eagles fans complain a lot about playing last on Sunday too in fairness.
we need to get into the 8 and we will get more primetime games. Simple as that.

That has nothing to do with it. The AFL admitted years ago that they give us and the Eagles so many Sunday games because the Sunday twilight timeslot works better here. The games finish early enough that people aren't getting home too late on a Sunday like they would over east and the timeslot works better for TV over there.

SandiHill

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The article:

Former Fremantle assistant coach Peter Sumich believes the Dockers could be on the verge of a player exodus, headed by Victorian ruckman Sean Darcy.

Sumich, who left the Dockers after a five-year stint as an assistant coach and 11 seasons at West Coast, took issue with the Dockers’ drafting of prospects outside of WA, warning they could be set to head back to their home states if success doesn’t materialise soon for the club.

Darcy, who was drafted in 2016 from the Geelong Falcons and is contracted to Fremantle until the end of 2022, was one of a number of players Sumich believes could be homeward bound.

“I’m hearing big time he wants to go back to Geelong,” he told SportFM, before urging the Dockers to go after Western Bulldogs ruckman and WA local Tim English, another player who is contracted until the end of 2022.

“If that’s the case, they should put all their eggs in one basket there and try to get Tim English. I don’t know if Tim will want to come because at the end of the day he’s at a club that’s going really well.

“You think they’re going to go well for the next two or three years, they might pinch another premiership like they did in ‘16. He’s probably going ‘I want to stay here. It’s a club that’s a winning club and that’s where I want to stay’.

“I think Fremantle’s got to go hard at him and hopefully they can pinch him. Money talks, but it’s not everything. Premierships in my opinion are the way to go.”

Joining the list of players Sumich believes may want to return to Victoria is Adam Cerra and Darcy Tucker.

Cerra, a gun young midfielder, was reportedly offered a four-year deal in March, but was keen to entertain a shorter deal that could allow him to get a better sense of the club’s direction before committing long-term.

Tucker looked set for another promising season of development in the midfield in 2020 before a significant hamstring injury saw the 24-year-old’s season cut short after just eight rounds.

“I reckon Adam Cerra is going to go home. He hasn’t signed yet, he’s a Victorian, he’s looking at Fremantle going, ‘Are they the team that’s going to play finals or win a premiership?’ Right not he’s probably going not really,” Sumich said.

“Fyfe is going to retire in two or three years time, Mundy at the end of the year, where does that leave it? They haven’t really got bookends you’d say are going to win them a premiership. He’s bound to go home.

“I’m hearing Darcy Tucker wants to go to Geelong and Darcy the ruckman, Geelong are chasing him. All these Victorians are going to want to go home and we’ve got WA products that keep going out of our state.”
“I’m hearing big time (from Hackdorn) he wants to go back to Geelong"...

Seems he has found a reliable source 🙄

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs, Marathon man
There’s no doubt he works hard, but I can’t help to think could he do it smarter. He very rarely gets separation from his opponent close to goals considering the distance he travels. That tells me perhaps his leading patterns, in particular on turnover are not being timed correctly.

Yes, the movement up the field can be inconsistent & yes smarter & Tabs sometimes don’t seem to go hand in hand, but I would love for him to get more reward for his effort. He is maligned even on here, but his position is still the hardest position on the ground.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I had a listen to that podcast on sport fm from which that story about Sumich gobbing off about players leaving Fremantle comes from.

Something else in that interview about Chad Warner was interesting. Sumich said that Warner wasn't in consideration for the U18's WA squad until he was contacted by Warner's father - an ex-South Fremantle player who was a player on SF's playing list when Sumich was coaching there. According to Sumich, after the discussion with Warner's father he decided to give Chad Warner a go.

Troubles me that coincidences like that could be the basis of U18's selection.

Edit: I'll put the podcast link here if anyone wants to get the context of what he said.

"

Last edited:

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The actual AFL ladder universe.
That has nothing to do with it. The AFL admitted years ago that they give us and the Eagles so many Sunday games because the Sunday twilight timeslot works better here. The games finish early enough that people aren't getting home too late on a Sunday like they would over east and the timeslot works better for TV over there.
This is Eddie McGuire's doing. He whined when Cottonwool got a Sunday evening game and pushed for WA to have that slot...and so it was done.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
“I’m hearing big time (from Hackdorn) he wants to go back to Geelong"...

Seems he has found a reliable source 🙄
This would be 100% True. You could add Hardie to that source.

I get no feel that Darcy wants to leave and give up the no. 1 ruck spot he has.

Tucker though different matter. He did buy a house but only signed a two year contract in 2019.

Cerra I kind of agree - will see how the year pans out before making a decision. But I lean toward more reputable journalists like Ryan Daniels who says he has heard he is likely to re-sign for four years - just a matter of working out the finer details.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I had a listen to that podcast on sport fm from which that story about Sumich gobbing off about players leaving Fremantle comes from.

Something else in that interview about Chad Warner was interesting. Sumich said that Warner wasn't in consideration for the U18's WA squad until he was contacted by Warner's father - an ex-South Fremantle player who was a player on SF's playing list when Sumich was coaching there. According to Sumich, after the discussion with Warner's father he decided to give Chad Warner a go.

Troubles me that coincidences like that could be the basis of U18's selection.

That is actually bizarre.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Similar things happen in all underage sport, cricket would be a lot worse when it comes to that type of thing. Who you know or what school you go to is half the battle.
Not just underage sport. There have been a disproportionate number of players from NSW in the Australian Cricket Team over the years.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
Chad has proven his old man right though.

There's nothing wrong with Sumich listening to someone whose views he trusted. The idea that we can, with our current development pathways, unfailingly find all of the best footballing talent in WA and squeeze them into just one state team is weird and wrong.

I wanted us to pick up both Elijah Taylor and Chad Warner. I got Elijah wrong but Warner is exactly my kind of footballer.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I mean, Warner could of have missed a few games when the state selectors were watching. Adding one extra player for tryouts is not a big deal. If the kid was a spud he would have been cut.

Yeah, I suppose there's talent identification and there's spud identification too. There obviously more draftees that turn out to be spuds than the ones that go on to play 50 AFL games.

There's probably the elite talent that everyone sees and then a lot of draftees all about the same mark with different traits.

Listening to what Sumich said, there were two things that I wondered about

i) If Warner's dad didn't have a connection with Sumich and wasn't picked for state U18's would he have been identified later as a draft prospect?

ii) Is there a lot of players that get pushed up to be played in their preferred position because of good rapport with the selectors or because they've gone to a particular school at the expense of others who don't get the same opportunities.

Talent identification eyes are usually fixed in the pathway that most of the talent comes out of and they start in that pathway early. It would surprise nobody if there are 16 year olds in the representative teams that aren't as good as 16 year olds who missed out because their name wasn't listed in the 15s or 14s previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back