Mega Thread The NBA Offseason Thread (22-23 season). NBA Draft, Summer League (Cleveland SL champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Suns want to move on from CP3 I want him to be traded to the Spurs.

He gets to finish off his bloated contract on a team with promising rookie young players on cheaper contracts, gets to mentor and assist Wemby in his first few seasons, and could even possibly be a successor for Popovich as a coach.
Dont mind the idea but the problem is the Suns will want assets back in the trade, I would be pissed if we gave up anything for him, we should be getting some assets(picks) from the Suns to absorb his hefty contract which would give the Suns room to move on someone like VanVleet.

Brett Brown will be the next Spurs coach, book it.

Dont mind the idea but the problem is the Suns will want assets back in the trade, I would be pissed if we gave up anything for him, we should be getting some assets(picks) from the Suns to absorb his hefty contract which would give the Suns room to move on someone like VanVleet.

Brett Brown will be the next Spurs coach, book it.
The Suns won't have the cap space to do that even without Paul

They have

Durant on $46 mil next year
Booker on $36 mil next year
Ayton on $32 mil next year
Shamet on $10mil next year
Payne $6 mil next year

They are all guaranteed, so without bringing anyone else back they are already at $130 million dollars in a cap that will be $134 million dollars.

They have no need for cap space.

Also i hope for your sake it isn't Brett Brown.

What are your FA/Tarde predictions fellas?

Here is mine:

• Portland Trail Blazers receives: Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Jonathan Isaac, No. 6 pick, No. 11 pick and 2025 first-round pick (top-three protected) Orlando Magic receives: Damian Lillard
Blazers have Picks 3, 6 and 11 to rebuild with whilst the Magic get a Franchise player to work with Banchero

• Harden signs with Houston
  • Kyrie returns to Dallas with a MAX deal
  • Jaylen Brown returns to Boston on a MAX deal
  • Draymond picks up PO and returns to GSW
  • Toronto blows it up

The Suns won't have the cap space to do that even without Paul

They have

Durant on $46 mil next year
Booker on $36 mil next year
Ayton on $32 mil next year
Shamet on $10mil next year
Payne $6 mil next year

They are all guaranteed, so without bringing anyone else back they are already at $130 million dollars in a cap that will be $134 million dollars.

They have no need for cap space.

Also i hope for your sake it isn't Brett Brown.
most contending teams aren't worried about the Cap more about the Tax level($162m) and they will be very concerned about the Apron level($175m i think) coming next season, which will make player movement by contending teams REALLY hard.

As it stands the Suns will go above the Apron level going into next season by just resigning the players they have. This will make in season team adjustments really hard to pull off. I bet they are looking at CP3 thinking he'll be 39 years of age by the time the playoffs start in 2024, he's just had his worst year of his career for defensive rating and PER and he'll make 30mil next season(if he hits some targets) so dropping his 30mil out of the team cap gets them in the $130mil range which gives them the flexibility to play in the FA market before they resign the likes of Okogie, Craig, Landale, Ross, Biyambo which would actually give them a little depth in their roaster and still be under the Apron level to fix things on the fly within the season.

What are your FA/Tarde predictions fellas?

Here is mine:

• Portland Trail Blazers receives: Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Jonathan Isaac, No. 6 pick, No. 11 pick and 2025 first-round pick (top-three protected) Orlando Magic receives: Damian Lillard
Blazers have Picks 3, 6 and 11 to rebuild with whilst the Magic get a Franchise player to work with Banchero

• Harden signs with Houston
  • Kyrie returns to Dallas with a MAX deal
  • Jaylen Brown returns to Boston on a MAX deal
  • Draymond picks up PO and returns to GSW
  • Toronto blows it up
that Portland trade can make enough sense if you think about it hard enough, only issue I can see is Portland have 9 players already on the books for next season with at least 3 that they will want to resign so bringing in that swag of Magic players and picks would put them above the player limit so they would have to find a couple to waive. For the Magic it would put them more in a win now mode but not sure it would catapult them up enough to be real contenders in the Lillard window.

the rest are about right but I'd like to send my heartfelt well wishes to anyone giving Kyrie max, but hey the Mavs made their own bed right!?!

that Portland trade can make enough sense if you think about it hard enough, only issue I can see is Portland have 9 players already on the books for next season with at least 3 that they will want to resign so bringing in that swag of Magic players and picks would put them above the player limit so they would have to find a couple to waive. For the Magic it would put them more in a win now mode but not sure it would catapult them up enough to be real contenders in the Lillard window.

the rest are about right but I'd like to send my heartfelt well wishes to anyone giving Kyrie max, but hey the Mavs made their own bed right!?!
I don't get it for the Magic at all, you are going way too early on the win now move. They probably don't win a chip in the next 2 years even with that move and you now have an ageing Lillard as a small guard being owed $58 and $63 million in the last 2 years of that deal.

I don't get it for the Magic at all, you are going way too early on the win now move. They probably don't win a chip in the next 2 years even with that move and you now have an ageing Lillard as a small guard being owed $58 and $63 million in the last 2 years of that deal.
I did say a win now mode which is what the strategy is with the addition of a player who averaged 32ppg and was top 12 with Win Shares. Do i think it would be a great move for the Magic? no. Adding a 33yr old with that contract who has always been questionable on the defensive end isn't a great long term strategy, would they make their way into mid table of the East with a healthy Lillard? probably, might even win a playoff series but Portland would win that trade long term even if Isaac never recaptures his formative self and they only make one hit on those draft picks.

I did say a win now mode which is what the strategy is with the addition of a player who averaged 32ppg and was top 12 with Win Shares. Do i think it would be a great move for the Magic? no. Adding a 33yr old with that contract who has always been questionable on the defensive end isn't a great long term strategy, would they make their way into mid table of the East with a healthy Lillard? probably, might even win a playoff series but Portland would win that trade long term even if Isaac never recaptures his formative self and they only make one hit on those draft picks.
Everything you said is why the trade makes absolutely 0 sense for the Magic. Play the long game.

Everything you said is why the trade makes absolutely 0 sense for the Magic. Play the long game.
from a perspective of winning championships in the long term nope, makes no sense totally agree, but NBA teams are a business and the magic rank near the bottom of the NBA in revenue and valuation, would Lillard change that even for a short period of time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

most contending teams aren't worried about the Cap more about the Tax level($162m) and they will be very concerned about the Apron level($175m i think) coming next season, which will make player movement by contending teams REALLY hard.

As it stands the Suns will go above the Apron level going into next season by just resigning the players they have. This will make in season team adjustments really hard to pull off. I bet they are looking at CP3 thinking he'll be 39 years of age by the time the playoffs start in 2024, he's just had his worst year of his career for defensive rating and PER and he'll make 30mil next season(if he hits some targets) so dropping his 30mil out of the team cap gets them in the $130mil range which gives them the flexibility to play in the FA market before they resign the likes of Okogie, Craig, Landale, Ross, Biyambo which would actually give them a little depth in their roaster and still be under the Apron level to fix things on the fly within the season.

If I am PHX, I am getting rid of Ayton (locker room cancer) and moving on CP3 and try rebuild their zero depth/bench after the Durant trade.

Just as an aside, I refuse to believe that 'apron' is actually the word whoever first used it meant to use. I genuinely cannot see how it describes what it is supposed to describe.

Mavs deserve the next 4-5 years of mediocrity if they max Kyrie. Surely not?!

Surely Knicks move on from Randle but how?

Harden is giving up winning if he goes back to Houston

Dont envy Bostons decision with Jaylen. Have to sign him but that salary cap is cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back