Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Please tell me they are not the same people that did the Docklands stadium. That been the biggest farce I seen to build stadium on wrong angle for sunlight and not taking into consideration the glare on tv if roof open. Cannot grow proper grass well and virtually has to be used as an indoor stadium.

I think you might find the Victorian Govt moved the orientation of Docklands against the specific advice of the architects to fit into the precinct as designed.

Also the roof was always going to be a problem with the grass no matter what direction it faced. The closing roof as design point was the major driver of that. They wanted a closable roof, they got, but it comes with trade offs.

You might also note that the MCG is s**t at grass growing in winter too. grow lights, massive turf replacement etc.
glare is also a problem at the G. There are days where day games from the MCG are unwatchable due to the difference between the shade generated by the northern side of the ground and the unshaded areas.

Wembley, Arsenal, Man U, and almost all major stadiums with natural grass surfaces use grow lights because the size of the stadiums work against sun getting to the surface no matter the roof.

This one will be no different. Grow lights, turf replacement etc. the same thing as Etihad and the MCG.

I think you might find the Victorian Govt moved the orientation of Docklands against the specific advice of the architects to fit into the precinct as designed.

Also the roof was always going to be a problem with the grass no matter what direction it faced. The closing roof as design point was the major driver of that. They wanted a closable roof, they got, but it comes with trade offs.

You might also note that the MCG is s**t at grass growing in winter too. grow lights, massive turf replacement etc.
glare is also a problem at the G. There are days where day games from the MCG are unwatchable due to the difference between the shade generated by the northern side of the ground and the unshaded areas.

Wembley, Arsenal, Man U, and almost all major stadiums with natural grass surfaces use grow lights because the size of the stadiums work against sun getting to the surface no matter the roof.

This one will be no different. Grow lights, turf replacement etc. the same thing as Etihad and the MCG.

I have never found the MCG anywhere near as bad as Docklands for glare on tv.
There is some but nowhere near enough for me to have noticed like I did when they first tried day games at Docklands. Docklands virtually is an indoor stadium because of it. MCG is still an outdoor stadium in the elements. I hope the Perth surface and tv glare is nothing like Docklands. In fact I trust they have learned from that mistake and never happens again.

Nevertheless interesting what you say about Vic Govt had some effect on the orientation of Docklands.
So many compromises , fmd, news just get worse of all the fingers in pies that lead to it's creation.

Looks like we will probably get a labor government in March so I am expecting a massive budget blowout and am preparing myself for the disappointment of 2 more seasons at Subiaco.

Yep could not agree more, anyone who thinks we will be better off with the Union government are living in fantasy land. Both parties are the same these days to be honest, nothing will be any different.

Agreed but when you say one shits all over the other it sure sounds dismissive, even if as appears now, it was not what you intended it to portray.
Fair play, I did over egg the difference in the initial post. I do think JL's record is at least a decent amount in front of Hughes, but also acknowledge many of the reasons for that (Hughes playing in a dysfunctional team against the might of the Windies compared to JL playing in a juggernaut of a team).

That's funny. This government is the one that can't balance its books. Have a look at the blowout in the deficit (as opposed to the surpluses of the previous 15 years before 2015.) It's what happens when you get failed businessmen to run a government. We will be paying for their incompetence for years.
I dont want to get all political in this thread, but have a look at annual spend on infrastructure under the 8 years of labor versus the last 8 years. Doubled. Thats why debts gone up.

I dont want to get all political in this thread, but have a look at annual spend on infrastructure under the 8 years of labor versus the last 8 years. Doubled. Thats why debts gone up.
Yes, but also consider the infrastructure; train lines and hospitals (and Fiona Stanley was begun by Labor) would surely be considered better cause for debt than Quays and Stadiums. Though all will have contributed to employment over the past decade. The problem with the Libs is that they seemed unable to read the economy and went into greater debt at a time when the economy went through a downturn. Stadiums and Quays are better projects when the economy is up.

Yes, but also consider the infrastructure; train lines and hospitals (and Fiona Stanley was begun by Labor) would surely be considered better cause for debt than Quays and Stadiums. Though all will have contributed to employment over the past decade. The problem with the Libs is that they seemed unable to read the economy and went into greater debt at a time when the economy went through a downturn. Stadiums and Quays are better projects when the economy is up.

Missed the predicted iron ore & coal prices .... reality is if you are rusted on fan of either party, oh why bother ...

Why do you say this? I thought the idea of Stadiums and Quays was to drive tourism and increase revenue (which seems like it would be a priority in an economic downturn, particularly when the economy is reliant on 1 sector). Train lines and hospitals lose money, by the bucketload.

Why do you say this? I thought the idea of Stadiums and Quays was to drive tourism and increase revenue (which seems like it would be a priority in an economic downturn, particularly when the economy is reliant on 1 sector). Train lines and hospitals lose money, by the bucketload.
Because hospitals and public transport are core government responsibilities and have associated costs if the infrastructure isn't there (poor health services lead to long-term health woes that are more costly in the future while poor public transport leads to congestion, lost hours etc). Stadiums and quays are nice to have but not essential and any profits are a long way away; if a government has to choose, it should always lean to what it has to provide, not what it would be nice to provide. The government over-extended itself; it should have stuck with the Perth Children's Hospital and one of the stadium and quay, not both.

Infrastructure projects always create debt, as government's don't let an idle billion or 2 sit around on the chance they want to build something.

Its the day to day running of stuff that dictates performance. Its wages, and upkeep and running costs that every day need to be paid.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have happened regardless of who was in government (unless the government was negligent). We had a population explosion (which demanded a huge infrastructure spend) combined with a massive drop in GST share, which was basically a penalty for getting mining royalties.

People either forget (or don't know) that for every dollar in royalties we get, we lose 90c in GST. So the mining boom might have been great for the economy, but it doesn't do much for state government coffers. The perverse thing about the GST distribution formula is it actually rewards states for being a basketcase or for just being plain evil (as gambling taxes aren't even taken into account).

:thumbsu: plus stadium design has moved on since Docklands was on the drawing board. Adelaide Oval is the leader in Aus these days & its bloody great :thumbsu: ...

Adelaide Oval was already beautiful ground. Has been for eons.
Loved going there once to watch the cricket from under the trees.

These other grounds are completely designed from scratch.
Eitihad surface sucks, so did the one for football at Homebush.
They got to get it right soon with these brand new stadiums.

I don't think the architects of this beast are want to forget stuff, esp the lighting. They have a pretty decent resume of stadiums between them. Some you may have heard of. MCG, AAMI park, AT&T in Dallas (cowboys), Lucas Oil (Indianapolis Colts), US Bank (Minnesota Vikings) Adelaide Oval etc.
was tongue in cheek. really like the fact that the they didnt put lights behind the goals so light is less likely to get in the eyes.

Train lines lose money? What about JR?

That's funny. This government is the one that can't balance its books. Have a look at the blowout in the deficit (as opposed to the surpluses of the previous 15 years before 2015.) It's what happens when you get failed businessmen to run a government. We will be paying for their incompetence for years.
All about his legacy. The stadium is going to be all time. Doing the city link and the EQ at the same time was stupid and both are half finished and empty.

Train lines lose money? What about JR?
We aren't in Japan, there's a fair difference between the density and efficiency of the two countries. The public transport system in Perth runs at a massive loss

Because hospitals and public transport are core government responsibilities and have associated costs if the infrastructure isn't there (poor health services lead to long-term health woes that are more costly in the future while poor public transport leads to congestion, lost hours etc). Stadiums and quays are nice to have but not essential and any profits are a long way away; if a government has to choose, it should always lean to what it has to provide, not what it would be nice to provide. The government over-extended itself; it should have stuck with the Perth Children's Hospital and one of the stadium and quay, not both.
We did not need the Quay. We needed the city link.

We aren't in Japan, there's a fair difference between the density and efficiency of the two countries. The public transport system in Perth runs at a massive loss

...unless you factor in the money saved because all those people are not in cars (road infrastructure being just one saving). Then it's very cost effective.

All about his legacy. The stadium is going to be all time. Doing the city link and the EQ at the same time was stupid and both are half finished and empty.

A bit like Dickie's Bell Tower. Legacy. I'd just rather they managed themselves properly and didn't have to sell off a major public utility to pay for their stupidity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back