Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad isn't it.

At a loss for what the WAFL can do though - too dependent on grants to break away.

Yes sadly you are probably right.
There is some options but it would require a huge amount of courage.
They could approach the Ten network as they would love to cover it and certainly would not charge the clubs to do so, they would get far better promotion that is independent of the AFL. But incredibly no other station can even get a meeting with the WAFC, it seems they would rather pay out a million dollars to have their broadcast done when they could possibly be sponsored.
But whether they could grow crowds again to a level where a better income stream is there I think it's to late without a golden goose.
I have always been an advocate of the WAFL and SANFL joining forces and creating a champions league, I don't think it would have problems getting sponsors but of course the AFL would not like it.
Mergers etc may need to happen but other than that I think both comps are in huge trouble.

The problem is the AFL is eager to put money into the bottomless pits of QLD and NSW footy that the SANFL and WAFL get forgotten, when if a correct short term investment was put into then they could actually make money.

I know it makes me sound bad, but once the novelty of the AFLW competition wears off it will turn into another bottomless pit. This means the AFL will be continuously putting large sums of money into places which will probably never make money when it could have been put into second tier comps in places where people care about footy.

The other thing people don't realise is that the royalties the Eagles and Dockers pay to the WAFC very little of it gets to the WAFL, it is chewed up the most by administration. They have a huge amount of employees.

I think it is more to do with that the AFL would prefer just an under 18 comp.
when you consider the AFL gets so many players from these 2nd tier comps it's quite staggering they don't promote them and inject large funding into them.
If the WAFL and SANFL folded tomorrow the AFL would not give it a moments thought.

bullshit with a capital B.
The AFL may make tough bargains from a strong negotiating position, but its total nonsense to suggest anyone at the AFL would see the demise of SANFL or WAFL as anything but a disaster... as would 99% of the football going public. I think you confuse the natural difficulties arising from different balances of power and resource with actual enmity. There is of course going to be a natural tension between the WAFL and the AFL as their priorities and preferred methods of working are not entirely the same, but not a death match as you make out. Its just life in a complicated world.

I'm confused by this bit. How is it in the AFL's interest to kill the WAFL and cease to have a second tier comp in WA. Where will the development pipeline come from then?

Or are you suggesting the AFL will set up another comp similar to the NEAFL?
Is the VFL run by the AFL?

Appreciate some clarity of this.

The Eagles/Dockers raise the money and it flows down the levels. At the moment the WAFC distribute this money to every tier of football in this state.

If the WAFC/WAFL fails to exist the AFL will then be in charge of deciding how the money flows into WA football.

Personally I would prefer to keep control of the game in WA to ourselves.

The Eagles/Dockers raise the money and it flows down the levels. At the moment the WAFC distribute this money to every tier of football in this state.

If the WAFC/WAFL fails to exist the AFL will then be in charge of deciding how the money flows into WA football.

Personally I would prefer to keep control of the game in WA to ourselves.
Whilst parochially that seems a fine idea, I am not sure that I agree that the WAFC and WAFL are doing such a good job of it that keeping local control is desirable above all else. I prefer good, over local.

The eagles have something like $60million in reserve banked away and the Dockers are catching up fast...given that the money belongs to the WAFC why don't they draw on that instead of wanting handouts from the government. Lets not forget they twice in the last decade had to get debt relief from the government because they couldn't or wouldn't use these reserves to actually pay what they were meant to for use of Subiaco oval.

bullshit with a capital B.
The AFL may make tough bargains from a strong negotiating position, but its total nonsense to suggest anyone at the AFL would see the demise of SANFL or WAFL as anything but a disaster... as would 99% of the football going public. I think you confuse the natural difficulties arising from different balances of power and resource with actual enmity. There is of course going to be a natural tension between the WAFL and the AFL as their priorities and preferred methods of working are not entirely the same, but not a death match as you make out. Its just life in a complicated world.

The AFL should have nothing to do with how the WAFL is run, not even an opinion on it. Let the people who would like theWAFL to prosper run it.

The eagles have something like $60million in reserve banked away and the Dockers are catching up fast...given that the money belongs to the WAFC why don't they draw on that instead of wanting handouts from the government. Lets not forget they twice in the last decade had to get debt relief from the government because they couldn't or wouldn't use these reserves to actually pay what they were meant to for use of Subiaco oval.

Not bad aye for not for profit clubs. Lol

I think it is more to do with that the AFL would prefer just an under 18 comp.
when you consider the AFL gets so many players from these 2nd tier comps it's quite staggering they don't promote them and inject large funding into them.
If the WAFL and SANFL folded tomorrow the AFL would not give it a moments thought.

To be fair thats not a non vic thing, look at how they treat the vfl

The deal was that the WAFC was guaranteed to be as well off under the new deal at the new stadium as it was as Subi.

Unless that happens the WAFC should refuse to budge.

At Subi they made money all year round via concerts etc out of the football season, which they will not make at the new stadium, that money helped fund grass roots football across the state and IMHO they did/do a pretty good job without being dictated to by the AFL.

A deal will be worked out, but football should not the carry the can for Barnett paying other sporting codes millions to play there, such as Bledisloe cups and SOO's etc etc

At Subi they made money all year round via concerts etc out of the football season, which they will not make at the new stadium, that money helped fund grass roots football across the state and IMHO they did/do a pretty good job without being dictated to by the AFL.
They have made that money by screwing everybody around, if you run a stadium it is your job to upkeep the stadium but every single 'upgrade' has been funded either by the state government or someone else. So if letting the premier sporting venue in WA go into disrepair is a good job, you are dreaming. Also remember the stadium got gifted to them and they still needed handouts after.

A deal will be worked out, but football should not the carry the can for Barnett paying other sporting codes millions to play there, such as Bledisloe cups and SOO's etc etc
What are you talking about?

Football has been the can for as long as the WAFC has been in place, those big events overall make more money and exposure for the state then a whole football season.

They won't be less well off, I wouldn't be surprised if the WAFC are manipulating those numbers to suck more money out of the taxpayer. Seriously they own the licence to the 2 most financially powerful sporting clubs in the country, maybe use them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its always been amusing to me that the Dockers and Eagles have so much....but the WAFC cries poor despite being 100% owners of both teams. State Government shouldnt be buying into this at all.

They have made that money by screwing everybody around, if you run a stadium it is your job to upkeep the stadium but every single 'upgrade' has been funded either by the state government or someone else. So if letting the premier sporting venue in WA go into disrepair is a good job, you are dreaming. Also remember the stadium got gifted to them and they still needed handouts after.

What are you talking about?

Football has been the can for as long as the WAFC has been in place, those big events overall make more money and exposure for the state then a whole football season.

They won't be less well off, I wouldn't be surprised if the WAFC are manipulating those numbers to suck more money out of the taxpayer. Seriously they own the licence to the 2 most financially powerful sporting clubs in the country, maybe use them.

OK mate, so the WAFC manipulate things but the Government doesnt!.

Ok then.

Whilst parochially that seems a fine idea, I am not sure that I agree that the WAFC and WAFL are doing such a good job of it that keeping local control is desirable above all else. I prefer good, over local.

See how well AFL control has gone for Tassie

Indian Pacific Ltd started off as a company on the stock exchange and was allowed to pay dividends to shareholders. That changed when the WAFC become 100% shareholders.

We the States tax payers are broke. Afl stArt chipping in you bunch of twats
The AFL will chip in all right - I think thay contribute to most stadia - as long as there is something in it for them and their clubs. And quite rightly in my view given those clubs are the ones putting on the vast majority of events.

The AFL will chip in all right - I think thay contribute to most stadia - as long as there is something in it for them and their clubs. And quite rightly in my view given those clubs are the ones putting on the vast majority of events.
They chipped in $5mil or just under 1% for AO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back