Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand why they built a U shape for Adelaide Oval. The trees and scoreboard are a significant part of the history of the place. They are not going anywhere soon, so it’s not like Adelaide was built as a U shape for future expansion.
Building the Perth Stadium as a U shape would have meant building a sub standard oval for those people not in the stands (or vice versa), just on the off chance that WA gets the money in the future to expand. More likely we would have ended up with a half built stadium for decades.

I think the plans were for another 10,000 seats by adding another tier above level 5 and below the existing canopy. The overriding impression I got from the stadium was spaciousness. I think there would be room to fit more in if needs be.
Until the AFL potentially say you need 80k or 90k for a grand final, those trees will be G-A-W-N. I know I know someone will pipe up about the parks people in SA have mad pull, but I don't think those trees stay if it meant hosting a Grand Final. The scoreboard could always be built around or incorporated into the design. Anyhow all hypotheticals.

Is this a fact ? Do you know how and where ?
Looking from the inside I cannot see how you'd approach this.
iirc more rows of seating can be added at the back of the top deck where there is a gap plus extra standing room elsewhere can get another 10k.

It's good that the stadium has a non-commercial name that locals are using that isn't just 'Perth stadium'. It's easier refering the Cats home ground as Kardinia Park rather than trying to remember whether it is Skilled Stadium, Simonds Stadium or GMHBA stadium

It's good that the stadium has a non-commercial name that locals are using that isn't just 'Perth stadium'. It's easier refering the Cats home ground as Kardinia Park rather than trying to remember whether it is Skilled Stadium, Simonds Stadium or GMHBA stadium
It's like Shark Park. Quite useful and unlikely to change anytime soon.

Are locals refering the new stadium as the claypot or craypot?

stock-photo-traditional-cane-craypots-sitting-on-the-deck-of-a-cray-fishing-boat-241568773.jpg

craypot

Last edited:

You forgot Shell Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its an old quote, but Colin Barnett said it a few years back while spruiking, and some guy explained how this is done (which Ive forgotten)

They said the same s**t about aami park, and then admittes after it was built the cost of dismantling the golfballs covering the stadium to do the work would make it cost prohibitive

Not saying perth is the same, but polis speak a lot of s**t

Either way, until it proves necessary it's all academic to us really.
It was said that AO should have been bigger after a blockbuster debut year but overall the capacity has proven to be quite suitable IMO.

Its an old quote, but Colin Barnett said it a few years back while spruiking, and some guy explained how this is done (which Ive forgotten)

Yes, I remember That being said.
Now the stadium is built. I cannot visualize any cheap or easy approach or even modest approach or effective approach.
Somebody replied with standing room but that goes against the whole philosophy of the build.

Yes, I remember That being said.
Now the stadium is built. I cannot visualize any cheap or easy approach or even modest approach or effective approach.
Somebody replied with standing room but that goes against the whole philosophy of the build.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-...e-reality-did-we-get-what-we-paid-for/9390340
"The expansion

"It is capable of being expanded quite simply to 70,000 and now capable of being expanded, at a later date, to 80,000." — Colin Barnett, May 2012.

The reality: According to stadium management, adding an extra 10,000 seats to the venue could be done relatively easily in the future.

"The majority of the additional 10,000 patrons would be added to the upper tier on level 5 (approximately 7,000 seats) and the rear of the existing lower tier (approximately 1,500 seats or standing room places)," a stadium spokesperson said.

Possible expansion was factored in with the growth of Perth's population in mind, although how much it would cost is not clear."

Out of curiosity would the Eagles fill a 70k seater every week?
At the moment yes. More people on the waitlist than there are seats available for them to take. So we will still have a fairly long waitlist.
Imagine that to drop off in a few year as most on the waitlist would have thought the new stadium would guarantee them a membership and just throw the thing in.

But actually selling out the stadium each week comes down to how many GA tickets get sold. Big clubs and big games people will want to buy the s**t GA tickets top level looking into the sun behind the goals. Gold Coast or Lions not so much. If the stadium was 70,000 members only it would be sold out to members every game, for the first year or two at least.

"The expansion

"It is capable of being expanded quite simply to 70,000 and now capable of being expanded, at a later date, to 80,000." — Colin Barnett, May 2012.

The reality: According to stadium management, adding an extra 10,000 seats to the venue could be done relatively easily in the future.

"The majority of the additional 10,000 patrons would be added to the upper tier on level 5 (approximately 7,000 seats) and the rear of the existing lower tier (approximately 1,500 seats or standing room places)," a stadium spokesperson said.

Possible expansion was factored in with the growth of Perth's population in mind, although how much it would cost is not clear."

So that contradicts it's own statement.
There is NO extra 10,000 seats. There is an additional 7,000 seats minus 1,500 seats.
for an additional 5,500 seats and 10,000 capacity.
I don't see HOW the additional 7,000 seats at the upper level will be added "relatively easily".
I don't see HOW the additional capacity will be achieved. - more seat removal for standing room ?

So that contradicts it's own statement.
There is NO extra 10,000 seats. There is an additional 7,000 seats minus 1,500 seats.
for an additional 5,500 seats and 10,000 capacity.
I don't see HOW the additional 7,000 seats at the upper level will be added "relatively easily".
I don't see HOW the additional capacity will be achieved. - more seat removal for standing room ?
Luckily for us you're not the technical expert on the PS design and construction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back