The Nisbett Manifesto - immune from internal criticism ?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I was going to just post this in the media thread but honestly it deserves it’s own thread as I’m not discussing the journalism I’m discussing Nis himself.

I’ll post the article in full (sorry Mitch, come hit me up at training) and then you can see.

Ultimately I think the universal acceptance of Nisbett being obsolete and a fossil is fair. However as a business we’re institutionally perennially successful beyond anything that would’ve been concepted at launch. We have the lion’s share of a sharply insular and often paradochial state.

Unfortunately based on yesterday‘a reading, not much is going to change. Sumich (via his ghost writer, he’s not that literate surely) has clearly got under his skin with his long read from earlier in the week and somehow in his inate rambling actually threw a punch that landed - that the club needs an external review.

See what you think.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett opens up on injuries, rebuild, free agency and WAFL woes in 2023​

Fri, 28 April 2023 2:00AM
Mitch Woodcock

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has vowed the club will get to the bottom of an unprecedented spate of injuries that is hindering the Eagles for a second consecutive season.

But the long-time boss has stopped short of a total independent review of the Eagles’ operations in the wake of calls from The West Australian columnist Peter Sumich.

In an extensive interview, Nisbett also addressed the timeframe on when West Coast will be in a position to contend for a premiership again, the impending introduction of a 19th team in Tasmania and their WAFL woes in 2023.

Eagles skipper Luke Shuey was the latest player to be added to West Coast’s injury list which has grown to 16 players, leaving coach Adam Simpson with just 28 fit players to pick from for their clash against Carlton at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

Unlike last year, the majority of players are sidelined with impact injuries but Nisbett said it hasn’t stopped the club from looking into the cause.

“We’re trying to get to the bottom of why our injuries are happening and why we’re in this position with some of our players,” Nisbett told The West Australian.

“Having said that, we’re very clear on our direction and we’re very clear that some of our players are getting terrific exposure at AFL level, and they’ll grow from that.

“We are looking and have looked and will continue to look and delve into why we’re getting some of these injuries, even the strange ones like the Harry Edwards one. I mean, why does that happen? Is it something that we’re doing in our training programs? All that sort of stuff we’re looking at.”

In his exclusive column on Thursday, Sumich said a completely independent investigation into the Eagles’ “failing football department” was needed, followed by an overhaul of the club’s operations.

“It’s time for change of personnel and operational strategies to generate a more fierce culture and to get their identity back,” he said.

Traditionally a powerhouse club, the Eagles are in unchartered territory, having won just three of their past 32 games and declaring they’re in a rebuild after another successful period.

The Eagles are prioritising the draft after a lean period of more than a decade of high-end picks, with Reuben Ginbey the Eagles’ first top 10 pick since Andrew Gaff was taken with No.4 in 2010.

Nisbett said they would once again go hard at the draft this year.

“We’ve got a really good position with a first-round pick, two second-round and two third-round picks. So we will have a minimum of five selections in the draft,” he said.

“That’s been the process the last two years, and we’re going again this year, so from a list build will have a minimum of five new players to add to the players that we’ve drafted in the last two years.”

The focus on the draft doesn’t mean the Eagles will be bowing to outside pressure and clearing their list of senior, top-end talent.

Nisbett said their older players were vital to their draftees in helping establish the next phase of the club.

“They’re critical both on and off the field in the leadership that they provide and the playing ability alongside some of our younger players,” Nisbett said.

“It’s been spoken about publicly that perhaps we should have moved some players on. Well, that’s not our belief, we believe that we need seniority around the place to ensure that they’re helping our young players and they’re doing that.

“Even guys who aren’t playing regularly, they’re still doing their job by assisting the players with their development with their work ethic and what they’re doing off the field to get themselves ready to play really good football.”

Nisbett said the Eagles would still consider turning to free agency and trades.

Several West Australian stars come out of contract in the next few years including Western Bulldogs pair Tim English and Aaron Naughton as well as Port Adelaide’s Port Georgiades.

“We’re always open to trading, but there is a cost to trading as everyone knows,” Nisbett said.

“It’s not an easy decision. But our current planning is that we’ll be going to the draft.

“And if the opportunity comes up for players heading home or other players who want to come to us, we would certainly weigh that up at the time.”

Nisbett would not put a timeframe on when the club would be in a position to compete for their fifth premiership, saying it was “hard to guess or second guess the development of some players”.

“We’re not sure on the timing of the Tassie team and it needs to be ticked off, but my guess is that if the funding is there and the AFL commission is in agreement, they will push forward with it,” Nisbett said.

“If it does come in, if it’s 2027, or something around there, we hope to have our team going extremely well by that date.

“And if we have had to lose some players to assist Tasmania as part of the rules and regulations hopefully, we’re in a very strong position by that stage.”

Nisbett said their WAFL team was still viable despite claiming just one win in the past 21 games and losing their three clashes this season by a total of 320 points.

He said they would go to the WA Football Commission to ask for further concessions to strengthen their team.

Nisbett would not rule out another alignment with a WAFL club, with calls to merge with fellow battlers and Lathlain tenants Perth growing in recent weeks.

“We’d look at alignments, we’d look at partnerships, things that are going to be beneficial, but can still allow our players to play as a collective when they do play,” Nisbett said.

“At the start of the year when we had everyone available, we were very competitive.

“It’s just when it falls away when you’ve got injuries, you do need a backbone of eight to 10 players in your team that have experienced regular WAFL football or regular senior football or regular VFL football who can hold up and that’s something that we’ve been unable to do. And hopefully, we can do that in the future if we have a standalone team.”

I mean, has Nisbett really said anything controversial, or anything many of us would disagree with in there? I think it's good that he hasn't gone and said something like "Multiple top-4 finishes and a flag in the next 5 years".

He's been in this position 3 times before and the first time, the club played in 3 GFs for 2 flags with the next 2 times netting 2 GFs for one flag each.

Maybe it is time for him to move on, but the grass isn't always greener.

Mr Nisbett was unwavering in his ambition to fold the club immediately and alluded to an imminent ‘Garage Sale’ style liquidation of assets…

More to come.

The below really annoys the hell out of me, should be totally independent IMO.

"But the long-time boss has stopped short of a total independent review of the Eagles’ operations "

I mean, has Nisbett really said anything controversial, or anything many of us would disagree with in there? I think it's good that he hasn't gone and said something like "Multiple top-4 finishes and a flag in the next 5 years".

He's been in this position 3 times before and the first time, the club played in 3 GFs for 2 flags with the next 2 times netting 2 GFs for one flag each.

Maybe it is time for him to move on, but the grass isn't always greener.
WC are a rabble and as long as gutless supporters like yourself support an inept management the cycle will continue.
Absolute numpty!

He’s really just bunkering down. He doesn’t say anything in that article that’s ground breaking or in any way a surprise. “We’re on the right path, we don’t need any external review”, etc etc. Disappointing that he’d give an exclusive interview in response to Sumich’s criticism and then say basically nothing.

WC are a rabble and as long as gutless supporters like yourself support an inept management the cycle will continue.
Absolute numpty!

Erudite as ever.

Absolute numpty!

Did the cycle peak 4 years ago when we won our last flag thus giving you your current moniker? If so, sign me up.

Suma on sports fm this morning basically when questioned about the article started with a version of I come in peace ( I’m good friends with Trevor) before unloading on everyone, listing most of the players as “question marks” and then deciding to go back to his cricket days by coming off the long run and going after Justin Langer and the board….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I understand nepotism is rife in this world but I absolutely hate the fact that his son Todd is a recruiter at this club.

I guess we should delist Jake Waterman then on that basis

As for Todd, I could count on one hand the number of posters here that would know if he does a good, bad or indifferent job.

All I can say is since Todd Nisbett first showed up on club media talking about the draft a couple of years or so ago, our recruiting has been pretty good

I guess we should delist Jake Waterman then on that basis

As for Todd, I could count on one hand the number of posters here that would know if he does a good, bad or indifferent job.

All I can say is since Todd Nisbett first showed up on club media talking about the draft a couple of years or so ago, our recruiting has been pretty good
WCE_phil

I swear he said he was good, or maybe it was BOND 007

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute numpty!
emotional rant, even for a docker. I support change and note there has been some although limited. But the club is now tracking in a clearly defined direction and credit must go to the management.

Suma on sports fm this morning basically when questioned about the article started with a version of I come in peace ( I’m good friends with Trevor) before unloading on everyone, listing most of the players as “question marks” and then deciding to go back to his cricket days by coming off the long run and going after Justin Langer and the board….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
bitter, sad but also not very bright. who listens to him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back