Play Nice The NM Devils Chessboard thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any real basis for Dutton vamping up the China Taiwan war footing? Like is anything actually escalating? Or just Dutton being Dutton?

Is there any real basis for Dutton vamping up the China Taiwan war footing? Like is anything actually escalating? Or just Dutton being Dutton?

I could be wrong but I think it’s just a flex because there’s an agreement with Taiwan that Taiwan lets us and our allies (as in the US) have military bases there and in turn we’ll stick up for them. IMO it’s in response to China growing more and more powerful. Kangaroos4eva would have a better understanding of it then me.

You mean what is the impetus for Dutton sticking his nose in on the issue of Taiwan?

Dutton and Morrison are largely taking their marching orders from Washington on this one, but we do have some obvious interests in the region.

For Taiwan specifically from my own thesis chapter:
Taiwan was a source of tension during the 2016 to 2020 period as Beijing’s militarisation of the South China Sea threatened the First Island Chain. The first chain is linked to the broader Island Chain Strategy, a regional security concept created in 1951 by John Foster Dulles, a future Secretary of State, outlining a prospective defence perimeter to contain communist expansion.[1] The strategy contains three chains with the First Island Chain stretching from the Kuril Islands, near northern Japan, to northern Borneo and contains the South China Sea.[2] The second chain extends from Japan to Micronesia and the third is linked to Hawaii’s defence.[3] However, the Island Chain concept initially carried little actual policy weight in Washington, but later formed the central lens of Chinese security views by the late 1980s.[4] China’s use of the chain strategy, and its escalated geostrategic rivalry with America, helped ensure that the island chains became a recurring theme in US defence papers.[5] USN planners now believe that the First Island Chain is the most ideal to halt the PLAN from dominating the western Pacific, thereby increasing the importance of freedom of navigation and nearby Taiwan.[6] Australia was consequently concerned that Beijing’s deployment of military assets near Taiwan in April 2020, and ongoing militarisation of the South China Sea, may destabilise the region to the point of war.[7] Destabilisation worries have only been amplified by China’s modernisation and expansion of its long-range PGM and naval capabilities.

[1] Toshi Yoshihara, “China’s Vision of Its Seascape: The First Island Chain and Chinese Seapower,” Asian Politics and Policy 4, no. 3 (2012): 297.
[2] Yoshihara, “The First Island Chain,” 294.
[3] Wilson Vorndick, “China’s Reach has Grown; So should the Island Chains,” Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative CSIS, last modified October 22, 2018, https://amti.csis.org/chinas-reach-grown-island-chains/.
[4] Yoshihara, “The First Island Chain,” 294-98.
[5] Yoshihara, “The First Island Chain,” 294-95.
[6] Office of the Secretary of Defense, Military and Security Developments involving the People’s Republic of China 2020: Annual Report to Congress (Washington D.C.: Department of Defense, 2020), ix, 48, 72-76.
[7] Lavina Lee, Assessing the Quad: Prospects and Limitations of Quadrilateral Cooperation for Advancing Australia’s Interests, Lowy Institute Analysis Paper (Sydney: Lowy Institute, 2020), 3.

Plus, you can chuck in our trade disputes following the coronavirus inquiry, the Sino-US trade war, Chinese cyber attacks and IP, growing Chinese geostrategic influence in the Southern Pacific, US-Australian concerns over freedom of naval navigation and the Australian reliance on fuel reserves in East Asia.

It is basically why we are embarking on the largest military modernisation program since the Second World War.

That reads more like a shake down effort..
A lot of ‘terrorist’ organisations have changed over the years to act like pseudo-states. They seize territory, train recruits, provide services, produce resources and gather taxes.

A lot of ‘terrorist’ organisations have changed over the years to act like pseudo-states. They seize territory, train recruits, provide services, produce resources and gather taxes.
It read like local mob had taken control over mine and the only way to get it back was pay tribute.

Local police chief standing by.. who had previously issued warnings/asking for more funding.

America starts new axis of evil of Russia, China, Iran and North Korea..

There’s a bit in that but the ‘axis of evil’ comment isn’t really the story imo...Axis of evil, AKA the countries they don’t like. Reads more like politicians trying to stop to new nuclear deal with Iran more then anything

GB preparing to send largest naval fleet to China..

What are they trying to accomplish with that? Pretty expensive middle finger to China. I heard someone make a good argument about how the problem is these days there’s not many politicians old enough to remember the horror of ww2.

GB preparing to send largest naval fleet to China..
We just changed our concept of the immediate region to include the entirety of the ANZAM area, including mainland Southeast Asia. ANZAM, now the five powers defence arrangement, was signed in 1948 as The Anglo-New Zealand-Australia-Malaya area. This area was used by the US in the Radford-Collins agreement signed a few years after ANZAM, which stipulated areas of operational control during wartime.

What does have to with your article? It shows exactly what areas the US expects Britain, and us, to defend and that includes the sea lines of communication in the ANZAM area, whilst supporting niche forces above the equator. Not so much a joint strategy, but a US-dictated one that Britain is now following.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a bit in that but the ‘axis of evil’ comment isn’t really the story imo...Axis of evil, AKA the countries they don’t like. Reads more like politicians trying to stop to new nuclear deal with Iran more then anything
Whoa, I was wondering if anyone read more then the headlines..
Interesting story below

Whoa, I was wondering if anyone read more then the headlines..
Interesting story below

That is interesting. I just assume all countries government agencies do s**t like that to keep an eye on their own people. That genie is out of the bottle. America just can’t afford to be open about it because they have too many lunatics with guns.

“[T]he Court is willing to again conclude that the improper queries described above do not undermine its prior determination that, with implementation of the documentation requirement, the FBI’s querying and minimization procedures meet statutory and Fourth Amendment requirements.”

WTF is an FBI Citizens Academy though?

For those interested in contemporary strategy and defence, I recommend several sites and organisations.

The Lowy Institute

The Australian Strategic Policy Institute

The Rand Corporation (American, but still pretty good stuff and very deep analysis).

There are also academic journal articles, but they are a tad heavier to read.

For those interested in contemporary strategy and defence, I recommend several sites and organisations.

The Lowy Institute

The Australian Strategic Policy Institute

The Rand Corporation (Reverse vampires, but still pretty good stuff and very deep analysis).

There are also academic journal articles, but they are a tad heavier to read.
FTFY

Interesting to see what happens with the nationalising of assets such as the Port of Darwin, and where it’ll stop, there’s a lot of farm and residential land China companies paid a premium for..

first home buyer, simply take over mortgage, might be actually the most popular wartime strategies amongst Australian young ever.

Last edited:
And more poking the bear with China

It's about the 5th time in the last couple of weeks, from ministers & public servants. I'm in my 40s and I can't remember a time when Australia had this ridiculous macho strategy with another country.

What could the end game possibly be?

A couple of weeks ago fighter jets started flying around. Well loud fast aircraft behind the ridge. I can't see them only hear them. Its been a while since that's happened.
I think most of the hornets have been finally retired. Probably one of the Super Hornet’s.

And more poking the bear with China

It's about the 5th time in the last couple of weeks, from ministers & public servants. I'm in my 40s and I can't remember a time when Australia had this ridiculous macho strategy with another country.

What could the end game possibly be?
This will tell you. We’ve been angling for this since Rudd with the 2009 defence white paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back