Oppo Camp The Non-Essendon Thread VI

Remove this Banner Ad

4 ball ups total in that games shows that the amount of interchanges didn't affect that game at all. So why cap the game to limit mauls when games can have no stoppages with large numbers of interchanges? Because some people don't like "the look" of people running off the ground? Pathetic.

Trying to handicap players by exhausting them is such a bad way of thinking. It's counter intuitive to a good spectacle. Cyril riolli is a prime example why there shouldn't be a cap. Burst player who can do incredible things when he isn't tired but has zero tank. So why rob the game of these players by trying to make everyone stop running.

You keep saying players don't need to go 100% all the time. But what we will end up having is a game of players running at 50-60% in the latter half of games and the top level of AFL, the very elite level of the game in this country starts looking less spectacular. Everyone has a whinge about players not trying in the NAB cup and it shows with crowd numbers. People don't like watching low quality games. That's what we will get if we keep asking players to pace themselves.

There is already a "cap" on rotation where it becomes useless because you lose more energy going off then u gain by resting. Why people feel the need to screw with a game every year is why a vast majority of people get upset. The game is never allowed to evolve naturally.

Do you think there may have been a reason/reasons for less ball ups - less congestion around the ball, more protection for the ball player, players moving the ball on, umpires paying tiggy touchwood frees. I love the idea of only 4 ball ups per game as opposed to averages of 25 and 30, although with increased intensity in the regualar season , I doubt that we will average 4 ball ups per game.

Do you think players have the same energy levels early in the first quarter, as compared to late in the final quarter? Of course not ! The nature of sport demands that players will get tired - Or games will go for 5 or 6 hours.

Do you realise that there has been about 40 rules changes in the last 6 or 7 years. Most have been good, many unnoticeable and a couple didn't work. And many of these rule changes - are in facts trials, which are never implemented during the season. A healthy game continually tinkers with the rules to make the sport interesting and attractive.

Players have always paced themselves ( to a certain degree ) during games - I've been watching footy since the 1970's, and there has always been high quality and low quality games, no matter what the rules are of the day.

Happy to see Brisbane looking good again even though I don't think they are a serious force. Voss copped far too much crap for the recruiting at the start of his tenure. He took a risk that failed because of injury and not much else. A few years later through more astute recruiting and excellent player development they have the makings of a good side again.

I also find it amusing that Melbourne has swapped Stefan Martin and Chris Dawes at the markup of a first round pick and a heap more in the salary cap when, on form, Stefan Martin is playing for Brisbane exactly as Melbourne wants from Dawes and at a level that Dawes probably won't exceed.

You have to wonder whether there is a point at which a coach is obliged not to waste the talent at his disposal purely because he wants to change the direction of a club. I've initially not liked a few coaches who did things a little differently at the start of their careers but went on to have serious success. I really can't see it with Neeld. The best thing I can say about him is that he may be walking the fine line between genius and insanity.

Martin has all the tools apart from a brain.

Dawes has a brain, but it's just not connected to his body often enough.

I don't rate Dawes but I'd take him over Martin for sure.

That music video/romantic movie tribute thing from the season launch with the captains and the premiership cup is officially the worst thing in existence ever.

Dockers looked goooooood.

Agreed, the addition of Pearce looks to be a good one and makes Hill such a better player. When we play them in three weeks, we'll really need to make the game as contested as possible if we're to steal a win in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back