VFL The North VFL Thread [2024 - NMFC lt GWS in Rd5 - CT 24d/14m/1.0; Shiels 23d/10tackles/1.0; Sellers 3g; Maley 2g; Bergman 22d; Arch 15d/8m]

Remove this Banner Ad

GLs report

Managed to pop down for he first 3/4 of the practice match yesterday at Arden St. Thought I'd share some pics and thoughts.

Luke McDonald and Chom played the full 3/4 I was there so I assume they played the full game.
Chom started a bit slow but I put that down more to good ball delivery by the "VFL" team. They simply delivered in a way where he could not impact. After half time though, once fatigue, heat and increased pressure from the "AFL" team started to force more longer kicks into the F50 you could see his eyes light up as he hunted the ball. He was Careyesque in the way he charged at packs and either took an excellent mark or brought it to ground.
Some of his decision making was questionable and lead directly to opposition goals but sometimes that was also due to lack of awareness from other players as he tried to dish off quickly and a flukey wind.

LMac was very vocal, continuously directing players, was involved in some good plays along with the occassional "hail Mary" kick that could result in a turn over. Usually in heavily pressured moments on the boundary line. If he has better ball carriers around him he may not need to do this too often hopefully.

Tyler Sellers was a fabulous focal point. Hit packs continually, took some great marks and was very busy. Certainly making sure the selectors see him.
Our small forwards were very noticeable. The first half Drury was very very active. He seemed to be everywhere and was having a good impact on the game. He could have had another 10 possessions if teammates had chosen to use him when he got himself into good space.

Hanson Jr was very evasive and fast in the first portion of the game. He kept finding a way out of congestion when there didn't seem to be any. He ran hard without the ball but did 'crack the sads' a bit after a particularly hard run where he wasn't used and after that seemed to drift out of the game.
Cooper Harvey was excellent, strong bodied through the midfield breaking though packs and delivering well into F50. Kicked 4 himself too so was a dominant player.
So our 3 small forwards all played some excellent minutes and are doing everything right to prove themselves a point of difference to the seniors selected players.
Hugh Greenwood was Mr Versatility. Playing pinch hit ruck, forward and some mid/wing he also kicked three goals and handed off another two "Joe the Gooses" that he could essily have kicked himself. He was excellent all game.

Taylor Goad - he was the stand out ruckman with his leap easily giving him 2 feeet of height advantage over Free. He won more than his fair share of hit outs and it could have been significantly more except he leapt early too often and therefore was not in a good position to contest the ball when it came within reach. Fix that up and he'll really start to make people take notice. He also made himself useful around the ground with good run and linking handballs. He seems to have bulked up considerably (he's still not big but also not so thin as before) and he is starting to look more man than boy. I really liked what I saw.

Phillips spent the day in the midfield, he was by far the most experienced and did a few nice things whilst I was there but hardly a match winner and I'd be shocked to see hime selected for the AFL based on that performance.

Archer was terrific providing that dogged, determined and powerful defence that we have come to expect. Devastated for Goater but it may open up a window for Archer and I don't think he'll look back once he gets in.

Bring on Round Two!

GLs report

Managed to pop down for he first 3/4 of the practice match yesterday at Arden St. Thought I'd share some pics and thoughts.

Luke McDonald and Chom played the full 3/4 I was there so I assume they played the full game.
Chom started a bit slow but I put that down more to good ball delivery by the "VFL" team. They simply delivered in a way where he could not impact. After half time though, once fatigue, heat and increased pressure from the "AFL" team started to force more longer kicks into the F50 you could see his eyes light up as he hunted the ball. He was Careyesque in the way he charged at packs and either took an excellent mark or brought it to ground.
Some of his decision making was questionable and lead directly to opposition goals but sometimes that was also due to lack of awareness from other players as he tried to dish off quickly and a flukey wind.

LMac was very vocal, continuously directing players, was involved in some good plays along with the occassional "hail Mary" kick that could result in a turn over. Usually in heavily pressured moments on the boundary line. If he has better ball carriers around him he may not need to do this too often hopefully.

Tyler Sellers was a fabulous focal point. Hit packs continually, took some great marks and was very busy. Certainly making sure the selectors see him.
Our small forwards were very noticeable. The first half Drury was very very active. He seemed to be everywhere and was having a good impact on the game. He could have had another 10 possessions if teammates had chosen to use him when he got himself into good space.

Hanson Jr was very evasive and fast in the first portion of the game. He kept finding a way out of congestion when there didn't seem to be any. He ran hard without the ball but did 'crack the sads' a bit after a particularly hard run where he wasn't used and after that seemed to drift out of the game.
Cooper Harvey was excellent, strong bodied through the midfield breaking though packs and delivering well into F50. Kicked 4 himself too so was a dominant player.
So our 3 small forwards all played some excellent minutes and are doing everything right to prove themselves a point of difference to the seniors selected players.
Hugh Greenwood was Mr Versatility. Playing pinch hit ruck, forward and some mid/wing he also kicked three goals and handed off another two "Joe the Gooses" that he could essily have kicked himself. He was excellent all game.

Taylor Goad - he was the stand out ruckman with his leap easily giving him 2 feeet of height advantage over Free. He won more than his fair share of hit outs and it could have been significantly more except he leapt early too often and therefore was not in a good position to contest the ball when it came within reach. Fix that up and he'll really start to make people take notice. He also made himself useful around the ground with good run and linking handballs. He seems to have bulked up considerably (he's still not big but also not so thin as before) and he is starting to look more man than boy. I really liked what I saw.

Phillips spent the day in the midfield, he was by far the most experienced and did a few nice things whilst I was there but hardly a match winner and I'd be shocked to see hime selected for the AFL based on that performance.

Archer was terrific providing that dogged, determined and powerful defence that we have come to expect. Devastated for Goater but it may open up a window for Archer and I don't think he'll look back once he gets in.

Bring on Round Two!
Great report roo....some goals were scored during a match Sim phase... Interesting analysis of will Phil. Easily double figure possessions in the last quarter..does not stand out like others.but I thought he was excellent...Hardeman great gut runner will play soon enough.

What’s happened to Cooper Trembath. He was training with the seniors pre season but I haven’t seen him listed in any VFL games.

Thanks for the reports.

What role was Brayden George playing?

Hardeman is looking like a great pickup, he is smart and has a real nice blend of defence/offense.
Halfback...got better and better as the game wore.on Great skills intercept marking..he's building nicely..he may play different positions later.on...but coming off a knee..hback is a great place to start.build some run and confidence.

Halfback...got better and better as the game wore.on Great skills intercept marking..he's building nicely..he may play different positions later.on...but coming off a knee..hback is a great place to start.build some run and confidence.

Thanks rampaging roos.

It would really be something if he came good for us there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would great if players we have drafted in the last 2 years go on to successful AFL players with in the next 2 years .
Then if there can dominate at VFL then go on to play strong football at AFL level it will be great mind you if we have players that currently get picked on name only they get weeded out.

2024 VFL playing list

47 Connor Downie,
48 Sam Lowson,
49 Louis Butler,
50 Ben Davis,
51 Hamish Murphy,
52 Ben Bath,
53 Ben Hopkins,
54 Jamie Hope,
55 Charlie Harrop,
56 Jack Watkins,
57 Tom O'Sullivan,
58 Nick Hodgson,
59 Cooper Trembath,
60 Ned Conway,
61 Tom Cappellari,
62 Lachlan Wynd,
63 Kade De La Rue,
64 Calvin Daraio,
65 Bode Stevens,
66 Nick Newton,
67 Jarrod Lienert,
68 Alex Noblett,
69 Coby James,
70 Sam Hayes,
71 Cooper Lord,
72 Deakyn Smith,
73 Mitch Hannan,
75 Ben Huggard,
76 Will Lambert,
79 James Tarrant

New: Hopkins, Harrop, Trembath, Wynd, De La Rue, Daraio, Newton, James, Hayes, Lord, Smith, Hannan, Huggard, Lambert, Tarrant

When does VFL team get named ?
I’ll have a crack at it before it’s announced tomorrow
Going with Drury game day emergency

B: D Smith Comben Davis
HB: Hardeman Nyuon Bergman
C: Downie Phillips Taylor
HF: Watkins Sellers RHJ
F: Harvey Maley Lowson
R: Goad shiels greenwood
I: George Free Dawson Archer Harrop

Emg: Butler Bath Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad