VFL The North VFL Thread [2024 - NMFC lt GWS in Rd5 - CT 24d/14m/1.0; Shiels 23d/10tackles/1.0; Sellers 3g; Maley 2g; Bergman 22d; Arch 15d/8m]

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence to Charlie but Robbie was a much, much more rounded player even during his formative AFL years.
Robbie played in the backline as a junior I’m pretty sure.

He wasn’t starting from scratch.

The longer it’s gone on the less I understand the Comben move.

Robbie played in the backline as a junior I’m pretty sure.

He wasn’t starting from scratch.

The longer it’s gone on the less I understand the Comben move.
Something tells me that Charlie has some serious confidence issues after all his injuries and time missed as a consequence. Perhaps the view is that the best way for him to get some continuity and get his body and mind right for the rigours of an AFL career is for him to play in a position where the ball is coming to him and all he needs to do is have an impact on the contest, not to be the main man and kick bags. And maybe for now the best place for that to happen is in the ressies.

Something tells me that Charlie has some serious confidence issues after all his injuries and time missed as a consequence. Perhaps the view is that the best way for him to get some continuity and get his body and mind right for the rigours of an AFL career is for him to play in a position where the ball is coming to him and all he needs to do is have an impact on the contest, not to be the main man and kick bags. And maybe for now the best place for that to happen is in the ressies.
The club have said this on a few occasions. They have never mentioned or alluded to confidence being an issue, that doesn't mean it's not true, but I don't think confidence is an issue.

The club have said this on a few occasions. They have never mentioned or alluded to confidence being an issue, that doesn't mean it's not true, but I don't think confidence is an issue.
Dunno. Someone on here alluded to him asking not to play an afl praccy but the vfl one directly after. If there is any truth in that then confidence could well be a bit of hurdle for him atm

Dunno. Someone on here alluded to him asking not to play an afl praccy but the vfl one directly after. If there is any truth in that then confidence could well be a bit of hurdle for him atm
Yes I saw that, grain of salt and all that.

Last edited:
This game should have been played at Marvel Today as would have fantastic for players of both sides to gain experience playing on a better ground with a big crowd plus probably making more $$$ for the hospital.

People saying the Comben experiement down back has gone on too long. He’s played one proper VFL match down there. Strap in because they’re likely to leave him in the back line for the next 9 weeks.

You don’t chop and change your strategy every week. They’re not video game characters it doesn’t just click when they put him in the right position.

I wonder if playing in the backline you don’t commit everything to one play - ie smashing into a pack for a screamer - but learn to keep your feet and stay in the play (ie impact but be ready to be involved in the next play on the ground ball). This is likely a safer and more productive way of having an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back