Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it's a piss poor reason to blow a highly anticipated rematch, that was going to draw in pretty big dollars, all because he didn't want to fly to Vegas to promote it? Don't buy it for a second!
And the reverse doesn't apply?

Why does everyone find what Dana White is saying "hard to believe" ?

If it was another reason McGregor would open his mouth and tell people what's really going on.

McGregor has thought he was bigger than the company for years.
Firstly, because I very rarely believe anything Dana White says. Secondly and more importantly, because it's such a minor thing to lose such a huge money fight over.

If it was another reason McGregor would say what's really going on? No, not necessarily.

Because it's a piss poor reason to blow a highly anticipated rematch, that was going to draw in pretty big dollars, all because he didn't want to fly to Vegas to promote it? Don't buy it for a second!

They did the same thing to Nick Diaz when he was supposed to fight GSP the first time, so it definitely could be true.

I'm seeing speculation that McGregor wanted more money and the UFC wouldn't give him it. $10 million is being thrown around. This seems like a far more likely reason than missing a press conference months out from the fight. Would go to show how much they care about maintaining their position of power over all fighters. It would also be really dumb because they'd very likely still be better off financially by having McGregor fight.

Dana is a piss poor ceo and people manager though.

They did the same thing to Nick Diaz when he was supposed to fight GSP the first time, so it definitely could be true.
Diaz isn't McGregor. Diaz gave his fight with GSP a small bump in PPV buys. GSP was the A side of the match-up. McGregor's the A side of this fight. Losing McGregor likely loses them a lot of PPV buys.

Circumstances are different, Diaz had an extremely terse relationship with Dana and the company before tha fight as well as skipping previous pressers and having been publically warned he was on his last warning.

This is clearly Conor making demands that the UFC has balked at and him flexing his promotional muscle by not attending, the retirement tweet is a cry to supporters to retweet the s**t out of Dana demanding Conor gets what he wants.

Frankly I'm suprised no one else see this, it's plain as day to me.

I'm seeing speculation that McGregor wanted more money and the UFC wouldn't give him it. $10 million is being thrown around. This seems like a far more likely reason than missing a press conference months out from the fight. Would go to show how much they care about maintaining their position of power over all their fighters. It would also be really dumb because they'd very likely still be better off financially by having McGregor fight.

100% agree, although I'm curious about the finances, can any UFC card (let alone one with this much star power) afford one guy getting $10m? I'd worry about the financial viability of the card itself and the precedent it sets long term (that's baring in mind I think fighters are woefully underpaid now and this sort of thing is good to see, just think $10m might be stretching it a bit)

Hopefully just a hissy fit. There was probably a time recently when I didn't even care whether McGregor walked away but I've come to realise he is good for the sport, maybe not the whole persona of him outside of the cage but at least the McGregor we see in the cage on fight night is.

I really wish someone would point out that Daiz and McGregor weren't the same person to me... this has had me confused for months now! :(

I was merely pointing out that that this scenario has happened before when a fighter refused to attend a promotional appearance prior to their fight. Yes, Diaz had/has a terse relationship with the UFC and this was likely their way of strong-arming him to play along with their rules. Conor has reportedly had a strained relationship with the UFC and the speculation of more recent demands for even bigger money leads me to believe this is another strong-arm attempt by the UFC to make him play ball too.

I really wish someone would point out that Daiz and McGregor weren't the same person to me... this has had me confused for months now! :(

You're an astute observer Guy, never in doubt you knew they were different people .

I think the circumstances here are massively different though. Your point about the UFC trying to strong arm McGregor I think is off though, I think the UFC is in damage control as Conor is trying to strong arm them. Dana for all his faults (and there are many) is a lot more savvy than he was back then. The UFC is trying to play this down while Conor is trying to blow is up.

At least that's how I see it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're an astute observer Guy, never in doubt you knew they were different people .

I think the circumstances here are massively different though. Your point about the UFC trying to strong arm McGregor I think is off though, I think the UFC is in damage control as Conor is trying to strong arm them. Dana for all his faults (and there are many) is a lot more savvy than he was back then. The UFC is trying to play this down while Conor is trying to blow is up.

At least that's how I see it

Damage control wouldn't involve pulling him from what should be the biggest card in the history of the promotion though, at least in my eyes. I have no doubt you are right that Conor is trying to strong arm them, I just think they are responding in kind. Not having Conor on the card will likely hit the UFC in the hip pocket a bit, but it will hit Conor much harder when he misses out on his purse, his PPV points, his sponsorship money etc.

still has options if legit the e will throw crazy $ at him. imagine if he showed up on raw with the ufc title. obviously not going to happen but would be must see tv

Conor's most recent follows on twitter:

Cgbh-M5UMAAtO1-.jpg:small

Conor's most recent follows on twitter:

Cgbh-M5UMAAtO1-.jpg:small
I'm not sure how Conor could possibly get out of his contract to do that.. I'm sure his just posturing.

my theory is that he wanted to be paid more, for the fight and he wanted to be handsomely compensated for the promotion that he was going to do and the UFC balked.

one positive that may come of this is if because his unhappy with the $$$ he could start championing for an association. hopefully.

Also, with the death, fair enough if he can't do promos and considering it's an immediate rematch, if there was ever an event they could get away with no promos, it would be this one.

Understand the reaction to have a go at him considering his reputation but will wait till the dust settles.

Something that has been completely missed in all of this.. Aldo v Edgar is now a title fight...a proper title fight?

Well i guess at the moment they are saying he is just pulled from UFC 200, no one really believes the retirement thing so Dana and co arent going to make it official just yet, but you would have to think its the next logical step.

from reading stuff from a fair few different sources..

supposibly UFC wanted to do another world tour, mcgregor wanted his contract upped considerably to be compensated for his time, the UFC said no, mcgregor said I'm not going to do any media if that's how it is, UFC said fine your not fighting, mcgregor said fine, I'm retired.

get yo money notorious!
he deserves it, he would bring a hell of a lot more than 10 mil to the UFC for this one fight. if he brings in 20 mil, he should be paid 10. end of.

hopefully he becomes extreamly out spoken about fighter pay. As much as I love watching him fight, I'd be happy to not see him fight again if he really pushed the union angle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back