The Nuclear debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive me for asking, but wasn't the Snowy Scheme, (2) the idea of the Turnbull Government?
I seem to remember seeing Malcolm decked out a bit like the Man from Snowy River on TV spruiking about it.
Maybe Dutton has forgotten, maybe thing too much about nuclear, or is it noclear.

they need the states approval .. so they can blame the states for it not happening.
More wedge politics.

Yep.

Pretend to have a plan to go nuclear.

Then after a year or so - "soz it costs too much, gotta stick with fossil fuels now, my bad"
It's totally a stalling policy designed to halt the advance of renewables
It has zero of actually being implemented

I don’t think it will happen.

That said, imagine a nuclear power station in Anglesea. May as well have Homer Simpson run it.

La Trobe valley would have slightly more merit but on the basis of cost, time taken, environmental & ethics concerns, it’s a no from me no matter the location.

I don’t think it will happen.

That said, imagine a nuclear power station in Anglesea. May as well have Homer Simpson run it.

La Trobe valley would have slightly more merit but on the basis of cost, time taken, environmental & ethics concerns, it’s a no from me no matter the location.
I cannot believe that the Liberals are doing this. Let's put a nuclear power plant in the Latrobe Valley - pissing away the seats of Monash and Gippsland in the process.

It is like they are trying to lose.

The Fukushima reactor is still posing terrible problems. Apparently these are the first drones to have got inside the reactor and survived. I guess it's the radiation, of all places you reckon Japan would have robots capable of working in high radiation environments. Where's Astroboy when you need him?

Why do you keep mentioning a 50 year old reactor that was struck by a monstrous tsunami following one of the largest earthquakes in recorded history and a poorly maintained piece of shit in a bankrupt country.

Yeah this.

Nine years and and scarcely a word about it.

Now they just put the thought bubble out there.

100% agree with the poster(s) saying they need to question them hard on this to expose the fact they have NFI

It's been officially banned since the late 90s in Australia so why would they talk about it?

A huge amount of things have changed since those 9 years.

People will either agree with it and vote for it or they won't.

I don't mind a nuclear reactor - just not in my State and not the waste either.
To save money, maybe power it using the reactors from the nuclear subs because they won't be needing to go anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot believe that the Liberals are doing this. Let's put a nuclear power plant in the Latrobe Valley - pissing away the seats of Monash and Gippsland in the process.

It is like they are trying to lose.
Maybe they are trying to lose seats.They have no idea how to solve the problems they created.
Dutton blowing more thought bubbles everytime he opens his mouth.

Why do you keep mentioning a 50 year old reactor that was struck by a monstrous tsunami following one of the largest earthquakes in recorded history and a poorly maintained piece of s**t in a bankrupt country.
Because these show the true genuine risks of fission based nuclear energy. You make it sound like I made them up and exaggerated them. Chernobyl led to thousands of thyroid and other cancers. The 95% confidence levels are 27,000 to 108,000 new cancers and 12,000 to 57,000 deaths. That's a very big toll from a single event, yet folks seem to ignore or forget about it and say 'nuclear energy is clean and safe' It is not.

All of them could have been much worse.

Perhaps the single biggest problems with fission based nuclear energy is radioactive waste. It is not disposed of. It is kept in cakes, pools, barrels etc in 'intermediate storage' awaiting proper storage. The US has 45,000 tons sitting around, with no clear plans for permanent disposal. A lot of the radiation released at Fukushima was waste that was stored in the facility, again raising the issue of the problems of disposal of nuclear waste. The nuclear industry has had 70 years to find a way to dispose of it's waste safely and it hasn't. It's just piled up. Totally irresponsible.

Renewables and storage being much cheaper, quicker to roll out and are without the problems of nuclear waste. It is inexplicable to me why any person with more than a couple of neurons would suggest we need nuclear power. It's just stupid.

Last edited:
Because these show the true genuine risks of fission based nuclear energy. You make it sound like I made them up and exaggerated them. Chernobyl led to thousands of thyroid and other cancers. The 95% confidence levels are 27,000 to 108,000 new cancers and 12,000 to 57,000 deaths. That's a very big toll from a single event, yet folks seem to ignore or forget about it and say 'nuclear energy is clean and safe' It is not.

All of them could have been much worse.

Perhaps the single biggest problems with fission based nuclear energy is radioactive waste. It is not disposed of. It is kept in cakes, pools, barrels etc in 'intermediate storage' awaiting proper storage. The US has 45,000 tons sitting around, with no clear plans for permanent disposal. A lot of the radiation released ai Fukushima was waste that was stored in the facility, again raising the issue of the problems of disposal of nuclear waste. The nuclear industry has had 70 years to find a way to dispose of it's waste safely and it hasn't. It's just piled up. Totally irresponsible.

Renewables and storage being much cheaper, quicker to roll out and are without the problems of nuclear waste. It is inexplicable to me why any person with more than a couple of neurons would suggest we need nuclear power. It's just stupid.

To go with our entry to having nuclear power, we can become the planet's nuclear waste receptacle.

If there is anything that should be bi-partisan in Australian politics its an long term energy plan. Trying to wedge the electorate with nuclear is just stupidity of the highest order.
If anyone wants to push nuclear tell them to go read about the Hinkley point nuclear upgrade in the UK. $13 billion over budget already and it's construction could be delayed until the end of 2031 after starting in 2017. Even when it's up and running they estimate it would only last sixty years. Total cost 31-35 billion pounds which is approx $60 billion Aus even estimated it could go higher. It also needs massive government subsidies to get going. This is also from a country that has had a nuclear industry we would be starting from scratch.

I reckon they should put the first Nuclear Power Plant in Dixon as close to Dutton's private residence as possible with the stipulation that he can't move and his family can never sell the property. Also it has to be named after Dutton.

In fact all Nuclear Power Plants and Water Storage need to be built adjacent to property owned by the Dutton family trust/business etc which are again to be barred from being sold in perpetuity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back