AE The Official AE16 Launch and Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it would be much better for everyone to get their CR points for a tie rather than nobody get any.

I think it would be much better for everyone to get their CR points for a tie rather than nobody get any.
Imo they should get half of what CR they invested.

If someone put 1 CR on Seattle, and someone put 7 CR on Arizona....the first person gets 0.5 pts, the second person gets 3.5 pts.

Yes? No?

Imo they should get half of what CR they invested.

If someone put 1 CR on Seattle, and someone put 7 CR on Arizona....the first person gets 0.5 pts, the second person gets 3.5 pts.

Yes? No?

Not a bad idea. Losing CR is unfair on those who had a high CR on the game.

Agree with you on that unfairness.
Woodson and JeffDunne what you say?

Can we start doing it from the current tied game and going forward?
Only issue is that odd numbers are a half point - do you lose the 1CR or do you gain it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only issue is that odd numbers are a half point - do you lose the 1CR or do you gain it?
If you put 1 CR on Seattle and they tied, then naturally you earn 0.5 pts. Not a whole point. You lost half a point, earned half a point. Thems the break with odd numbers. If someone put 2 CR on Seattle and they tied, then naturally half of 2 is a whole 1.

0.5 - 1.0 - 1.5 - 2.0 - etc....that is mathematically sound.

Agree with you on that unfairness.
Woodson and JeffDunne what you say?

Can we start doing it from the current tied game and going forward?

You definitely couldn't do it "from the current tied game" if the understanding is that everyone loses - shifting the goal posts when "everyone loses" was the understanding (certainly it was my understanding) would be bullshit.

Everyone loses isn't a perfect solution - but there is no perfect solution in a "confidence rankings" competition. So I guess the people who thought it would be close, and thus only gave the game a low CR are the winners.

The only other solution I can think of is that everyone gets 0 for the tied game, but it moves to the 1CR slot in everyone's tips. So if I had it as my 7 point game, then 6 moves to 7, 5 moves to 6 et al - and the tied game becomes the 1CR game. (I still don't think awarding half points is particularly fair - not only does it bugger up the scoreboard, but it effectively penalises the people who "knew" it would be a close game.)

But even that's not perfect from the perspective of the work that JD and Woodson put in. If you were going to look at a solution like that, I'd imagine that JD would have go through and manually change everyone's results. I would never ask him to do that, so I think the advantage just has to remain with the people who weren't confident of a result/who thought it would be close and gave it low CR.

Anyway, these ideas are just my $0.02. My post was really prompted by my strident belief that the rules can't be changed part way through - especially due to a result that happens so rare.

You definitely couldn't do it "from the current tied game" if the understanding is that everyone loses - shifting the goal posts when "everyone loses" was the understanding (certainly it was my understanding) would be bullshit.

Everyone loses isn't a perfect solution - but there is no perfect solution in a "confidence rankings" competition. So I guess the people who thought it would be close, and thus only gave the game a low CR are the winners.

The only other solution I can think of is that everyone gets 0 for the tied game, but it moves to the 1CR slot in everyone's tips. So if I had it as my 7 point game, then 6 moves to 7, 5 moves to 6 et al - and the tied game becomes the 1CR game. (I still don't think awarding half points is particularly fair - not only does it bugger up the scoreboard, but it effectively penalises the people who "knew" it would be a close game.)

But even that's not perfect from the perspective of the work that JD and Woodson put in. If you were going to look at a solution like that, I'd imagine that JD would have go through and manually change everyone's results. I would never ask him to do that, so I think the advantage just has to remain with the people who weren't confident of a result/who thought it would be close and gave it low CR.

Anyway, these ideas are just my $0.02. My post was really prompted by my strident belief that the rules can't be changed part way through - especially due to a result that happens so rare.
You're right that we can't/shouldn't adopt new rules for a pre-existing tied game. Indeed, thinking about it, we shouldn't even do it for week 8 onwards either. As that would be changing the goalposts mid-season, with a tied game already happening.

But for next season...propose it. Worth proposing at least.

I reckon my idea is the simplest/best proposal (for JD, coding the site, and sense of mathematical integrity).

We've had this discussion before. No win = no points.

No points here for bouncing one off the goalposts. :)

^^^
what he said.. the ship has long sailed on that one… but everyone can have their 'soapbox' moment if they really want to be King of the World on this topic.

giphy.gif

Everyone's had their soapbox moment????
Put it to a vote for next season and see what the consensus is.
Honestly, I haven't really given it much thought. I've just known the rules to be 0 points for the tie.

Nothing should be taboo when deciding rules off this comp.
We mustn't be afraid to let it grow into what the people want.

Nothing should be taboo when deciding rules off this comp.
We mustn't be afraid to let it grow into what the people want.

But. . but Woodson likes his dictatorship! Stuff the people!

We've had this discussion before. No win = no points.

No points here for bouncing one off the goalposts. :)

It's a damn behind, count the point and I want my points :p

We all tipped who we thought would win. No team won so we lost. If we think it will be a blowout and it ends up being close and tied then tough luck for us.

The tied game is a rare anomaly that we don't need to be crazy and award decimal of points because the scoreboard looks ugly for the rest of the year.

In my AFL comp a cancelled game occurred and we gave everyone 1CR and manually changed the tips to reflect this. There was 24 players though not like at times 84 in AE. But had the game been played and drawn then the zero point rule would be implemented.

If you then half win because of a tied game then what happens to 3XKO and Hot Streak? Do you get half a strike? Is it a mulligan? If it is still a strike and loss of streak because no team won then it stands to reason that it should remain as 0 points awarded and whatever CR given is lost.

Buckets out.

Need to switch to Houston to win ND.

Congrats ShinyonTop.
I'd just like to thanks Catanzaro.

I also don't think today's game is the certainty that some may be expecting. Houston are every chance of causing the upset. I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

Edit: I'm also firmly in the 0 points for a tie. You didn't tip the winner - I don't see how you deserve points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back