The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read that the other day, very sobering reading.

I gamble a fair bit but am - I would say - incredibly responsible about it. I keep a spreadsheet tracking my net spend, have a limit I'm willing to go to in a particular month of deposits and stop if I hit it. But a lot of people just throw good money after bad.
How much have you won/lost?

i've always seen it as having a bit aside and having a bit of fun. dont bet anywhere near like i used to but i would just put 100 bucks into sportsbet. if i got a win, like doubled my money or something like that, i'd deposit like 150 back and keep the 10 in sportsbet. but the normalisation of gambling has been very concerning.
Betting is an epidemic IMO.

From a Wednesday night onwards watching the news, there is at least one betting ad (ofter more), per ad break. They're loud and obnoxious, but they're so damn often.

They're played before sports games, during the games and run often on ad breaks in prime time 3-4 days a week. Then they have the nerve to say "gamble responsibly" at the end when it's shoved down their throats.

Shouldn't have to punish the fans for it
Then don't complain if the opposition are there too.

Free game.

How much have you won/lost?

Since the start of the month I've withdrawn $700 against a $100 deposit. I'm setting myself the target of withdrawing $50 a day which so far I've stuck to.

How did that happen? I’d say the U.K. is hugely PC with the middle classes. The working clssses not so much. The BBC is the bastion for all things PC in the U.K. and it has a huge influence over the public
No idea because Australia's immigration policy is the opposite of PC. We truly are in the age of being offended, particularly for other people.

This sums it up well:

i've always presumed this happens in all sports. no idea why people still get up in arms about it.

Same. How else do managers know, when naming their line up, roughly who the opposition will name?

I meant overall.

Surely you'd be down?

Nope, pretty much break even with my budget which is all that I'm bothered about. If my new strategy this year means I actually turn it profitable then great, if not, doesn't bother me. Small drop each month for a bit of fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the start of the month I've withdrawn $700 against a $100 deposit. I'm setting myself the target of withdrawing $50 a day which so far I've stuck to.
Jesus mate that’s not an insignificant amount. Never understood the allure of gambling, but I guess we all have a vice or two. For me it’s a mugs game, but I’m not saying that to you disrespectfully

Jesus mate that’s not an insignificant amount. Never understood the allure of gambling, but I guess we all have a vice or two. For me it’s a mugs game, but I’m not saying that to you disrespectfully

Yeah it's been a good start to the year, but like I said, if I make money, awesome, and if I don't, well, I cap myself at an amount I'm happy to spend, and I just look at it as any other form of entertainment.

I have addictive tendencies so I've stayed away from gambling except in Vegas.

No idea because Australia's immigration policy is the opposite of PC. We truly are in the age of being offended, particularly for other people.

This sums it up well:

I totally agree with this bloke, especially the boybands part! Most people instinctively know where the line crosses into being offensive. For some reason that line has been moved to the point that like he says, you’re almost now afraid to say anything. All it does is put people on edge - especially at work. Life is hard and serious enough as it is without all this bullshit

How is it not immediately obvious that the phrase 'rent boy' is offensive to sex workers and the LGBT community? Truly boggles the mind.
You want to live in a sanitised world that doesn’t really exist. Sex workers should not be free from being mocked, why should they be it’s a life choice they have taken at the end of the day? I don’t agree with being homophobic, but sorry using the term “rent boy” is not causing harm unless you are incredibly sensitive. We have to stop pandering to the over-sensitive types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back