The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow. I'd never heard of him (not that I track petrochemical leaders). Presumably he was just being opportunist? If it has been something that's been building for a while, then Roman might have an extra reason to be annoyed at Visa delays.

I'm still happy they've put a hold on the stadium rebuild. That thing was the classic architecture trick of doing something showy externally to hide the cash maximisation of the rest of the design. i.e. I thought it was ugly.

Went to the new Real Madrid exhibition in Melbourne.

https://www.realmadridwof.com

If you are a real madrid fan, you will obviously love it. All 13 european/champions league cups were on display including the latest one won in Kiev. Golden ball and golden boot trophies. Plenty of good photo opps.

If you are not a real madrid fan but a general football fan and want to check it out, it is probably too overpriced. $35 adults/$20 kids, it should be half those costs. There is an interactive area where you can play fifa and shoot soccer balls at targets, but if you didnt do any of that, you could see the whole exhibition in 30 minutes.

The club shop at the end was ridiculously overpriced. Real madrid jerseys were over $200. Scarfs $45. Hats $40. Soccer ball $40. $20 for a green screen photo.

Wow. I'd never heard of him (not that I track petrochemical leaders). Presumably he was just being opportunist? If it has been something that's been building for a while, then Roman might have an extra reason to be annoyed at Visa delays.

I'm still happy they've put a hold on the stadium rebuild. That thing was the classic architecture trick of doing something showy externally to hide the cash maximisation of the rest of the design. i.e. I thought it was ugly.

Yeah, it seems a bit opportunistic. IMO Roman isnt going anywhere and hes had offers from China as well as a Saudi prince to sell lately.

I didnt mind the stadium as it was something different to the toilet bowl looking things that get made nowadays. Looked great from ground level(love the brick work), from above it did look like a trash bin though.

Yeah, it seems a bit opportunistic. IMO Roman isnt going anywhere and hes had offers from China as well as a Saudi prince to sell lately.

I didnt mind the stadium as it was something different to the toilet bowl looking things that get made nowadays. Looked great from ground level(love the brick work), from above it did look like a trash bin though.
I was listening to a show about the Magnitsky Act and the UK bringing in something similar, so maybe that dude is hoping it impacts Roman.

I admit I hadn't seen those close ups. The overall feel was a bit authoritarian for me with the heavy pylons, but I can see with the brickwork that they are trying to lighten it up with the pale shades and variations. In real life I don't think it would work as well as they're trying to make it appear in the design firm's renderings. It's creative, so that's a definite plus, but I still think that exterior is just hiding the fact it's a giant blob or floor space that they can then sell. The vertical lines everywhere feel cage-like.

FIFA members will decide whether the 2026 World Cup should be played in North America or return to Africa for just the second time, in Morocco.

The choice is clear - between a slick bid based on gleaming stadiums in the United States, Mexico and Canada or an ambitious attempt from Morocco based on as-yet largely unbuilt facilities.

On the eve of the 2018 World Cup in Russia, 207 FIFA member nations will cast their vote in a congress of world football’s governing body.

Morocco’s bid for 2026 was only cleared to advance to the run-off vote earlier this month, despite a FIFA evaluation report which classified the North African nation’s stadiums, accommodation and transport as “high risk.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...t/news-story/9cae93c3fe9a4b749cd586e23f67a3bb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maxresdefault.jpg

or

istock_41519458_morocco_djemaa_el_fna_marrakesh_letterbox.jpg

It should be America. The main point being they already have the stadiums for it and won't need to bankrupt an economy to host it.

Morocco won't go bankrupt hosting it even though there will need to be significant upgrades on existing infrastructure (which will be used after the WC so it won't be a waste of money). Morocco also aren't using two other countries and giving them sweet * all in return just to make their bid look better on paper. Lastly, the US have actually already had a WC (and recently too). Morocco (and for that matter North Africa) have never hosted one before so at least it's got that going for it.

I can see the Moroccan bid getting over the line anyway due to overwhelming CAF support and the western half of AFC giving their backing to the bid. I also envisage a few UEFA nations giving them the nod over the US due to a host of factors.

Morocco got the blunt end of the stick when it came time for Africa to host a cup. If it went to the US, it sets a dangerous tone of only the big boys getting the darn tournament.

The US has the stadiums, but I'd rather see Morocco get it. In line with Europe too, even if the US matches are technically better for us with their night games.

FIFA should use their billions to fu
nd the infrastructure around the world that will allow smaller countries the opportunity of hosting.

USA will get plenty of opportunities to host again, I'd much rather it go somewhere new.

What the hell happened to Australias bid from several years ago?

I'm guessing after that awful vid we made with Gillard, a cartoon Kangaroo and crocodile dundee we have been blacklisted from hosting a WC forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back