The on topic thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the Venture Capitalists that have been propping up Spotify all these years would feel about the founder leveraging the company's value to buy something that is inherently not about making money?
It’s been a listed company for last 3 years

I wonder what the Venture Capitalists that have been propping up Spotify all these years would feel about the founder leveraging the company's value to buy something that is inherently not about making money?

What is the something that is inherently not about making money? Surely not Arsenal, a club who posts a profit every year?

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
What is the something that is inherently not about making money? Surely not Arsenal, a club who posts a profit every year?
Yeah, and most fans would argue they are doing it wrong.

I'd have thought that ideally sports team profits should be re-invested back into it where possible, but maybe that's just me

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Any of you guys voted on the Premier League Hall of Fame?

Shearer and Henry already in and now they have opened it up to a 23 man shortlist for the fans to vote with 6 of the 23 with the highest votes going in.

Amazingly, Ryan Giggs was not on the short list. I think being a woman beater has left him off the list which is fantastic.

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright

For the record my 6 votes went to Gerrard, Fowler, Owen (obvs) and then Le Tissier, Bergkamp and Ian Wright.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Saka has been named Young Player of the Year at the 2021 London Football Awards, beating Emile Smith Rowe, Mason Mount, Declan Rice & Reece James to the award.
Really?

Mount or Rice, toss a coin. Strange result.

Last edited:
Yeah, and most fans would argue they are doing it wrong.

I'd have thought that ideally sports team profits should be re-invested back into it where possible, but maybe that's just me
It's not just you, I'm just questioning why a person wanting to make money wouldn't look to buy an entity that makes money, rightly or wrongly.

Saka has been named Young Player of the Year at the 2021 London Football Awards, beating Emile Smith Rowe, Mason Mount, Declan Rice & Reece James to the award.
That's a head scratcher.

Not sure what the criteria was. Saka has been decent though, and in a very mediocre side. Maybe that worked in his favour?

Would have thought excelling in a good side would be better.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Not sure what the criteria was. Saka has been decent though, and in a very mediocre side. Maybe that worked in his favour?
Mount and Rice are pretty much stars for their teams(very important cogs)who are battling for top 4 and they have both captained their respective teams.

Really strange result. Was it voted by the public?

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Mount and Rice are pretty much stars for their teams(very important cogs)who are battling for top 4 and they have both captained their respective teams.

Really strange result. Was it voted by the public?
Yeah not disagreeing with that.

I have no idea, just saw the result on an Arsenal FB page.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots

Shearer and Henry already in and now they have opened it up to a 23 man shortlist for the fans to vote with 6 of the 23 with the highest votes going in.

Amazingly, Ryan Giggs was not on the short list. I think being a woman beater has left him off the list which is fantastic.

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright

For the record my 6 votes went to Gerrard, Fowler, Owen (obvs) and then Le Tissier, Bergkamp and Ian Wright.
OH AH CANTONA.

Saka appears to be a budding flower in a bed of turds. No wonder he stands out. Good prospect but not better than Rice has been for West Ham

Just curious, with Norwich and Watford coming straight back up and possibly Bournemouth, they will forego the second year parachute payments they were due for being relegated last season.

Can’t remember how it works, but assume that money stays in the PL? But wouldn’t it be better allocated down the pyramid? Kind of like a bonus. EFL needs it more than EPL.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Saka appears to be a budding flower in a bed of turds. No wonder he stands out.

1180295.gif

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright

Cantona
Ferdinand
Fowler
Lampard
Scholes
Keane

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just curious, with Norwich and Watford coming straight back up and possibly Bournemouth, they will forego the second year parachute payments they were due for being relegated last season.

Can’t remember how it works, but assume that money stays in the PL? But wouldn’t it be better allocated down the pyramid? Kind of like a bonus. EFL needs it more than EPL.

Simon Jordan introduced the scheme back in the 00's as Crystal Palace's owner, it's however not a written rule and is down to the discretion of the PL board.

They haven't been doing it in the previous few years and have kept it relatively on the downlow that they have removed those donations.

If Bournemouth get promoted the PL pockets £120m that has already been budgeted for and written off as a loss within that financial year. There's no reason to keep it and frankly if they distributed £4m to each PL club, it means * all compared to the good it could do down the pyramid.

Given the PL is contractually obliged to pass on 10% of all broadcast revenue to "grass rooots" football as part of the PL/EFL formation contract and doesn't, I'm not holding my breath.

They will use COVID as an excuse and no doubt distribute it to PL clubs, some of which in the "big 6" are riddled in £100m's of debt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back