The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We were already a fab five before Power. Reckon Shaun Hart gets forgotten a bit too much. Very under rated for a Norm Smith medalist. If Bradshaw didn't smash his jaw apart in the 04 prelim I reckon the granny would've been much different. Meh, que sera sera
That.. is a very good point. Hart flew under the radar so much. Spectacular Six then? :)

Loved the work Shaun did, but he was largely a defensive mid who never averaged above 17 disposals in our GF years when the Fab Four were averaging in the mid 20s. Hart's peak was arguably in the late 90s. I'm ok with him being in a separate category, sort of like Power peaking in the second half of the GFs and the years after.

Yeah, Hart was definitely an important cog in the machine but he was probably a bit more replaceable than the likes of Voss, Black etc.

It felt like every year Hart had a game or two in the reserves. It was almost as though he needed to rediscover the fact that he was a good footballer. He’d go back to the Reggies, pick up 40 touches and it would reset him for senior footy.

Yeah, Hart was definitely an important cog in the machine but he was probably a bit more replaceable than the likes of Voss, Black etc.

It felt like every year Hart had a game or two in the reserves. It was almost as though he needed to rediscover the fact that he was a good footballer. He’d go back to the Reggies, pick up 40 touches and it would reset him for senior footy.
Sort of an early incarnation of Cutler?

Sort of an early incarnation of Cutler?
I suspect it was the opposite. I felt like Harty got given so many team first, defensive type jobs that his attacking game suffered. Whereas Cuts seems to get start in the reserves to work on his defensive game because his attacking game comes naturally.

I agree. Not saying they have the same issues, just the need for some sort of “re-education” in the seconds from time to time. IMO Hart was a consistently solid B grader. At times Cutler looks like he could be an A grader, but just can’t find that level consistently.

If Bradshaw didn't smash his jaw apart in the 04 prelim I reckon the granny would've been much different. Meh, que sera sera

agree with this. Of all the players in our team that finals series he was the one midfielder/running player who was cherry ripe fitness wise. So many had little niggles that finally caught up with them on Grand Final day. his additional run in that game would have been very handy.

Level with Taranto. A big fat zero votes for Andy McGrath too.
A mate of mine is mad essendon, he was filthy on draft night that they took McGrath over Mcluggage (and to a lesser degree Taranto) .... he is 1000 times more filthy these days :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the Taranto selection was a mistake... I'm no longer convinced that's the case but I still think we got the best out of the three.

IIRC McGrath was viewed as the highest floor but also the lowest ceiling - there's only so much a back flanker can do. I think he's fine, there's a fair chance he'll rack up 300+ games so you can't complain, but he's probably not going to be a star. Taranto and McCluggage... well they're both showing fantastic signs at the moment.

I thought the Taranto selection was a mistake... I'm no longer convinced that's the case but I still think we got the best out of the three.

IIRC McGrath was viewed as the highest floor but also the lowest ceiling - there's only so much a back flanker can do. I think he's fine, there's a fair chance he'll rack up 300+ games so you can't complain, but he's probably not going to be a star. Taranto and McCluggage... well they're both showing fantastic signs at the moment.

Even if you argue Taranto is slightly ahead we got Clug + Berry for the price of Taranto so definite winners.

Adelaide look like they are about to get the chocolates over Freo. That means we finish the round in the top 4 just as the logjam below is ever so slightly starting to separate

If we make a bit of hay from this upcoming patch of winnable games, we could be nicely placed going into the second half of the season.

Speaking of the logjam; this week we have:
  • Freo V Richmond
  • Adelaide V Port
  • Saints V Eagles
...meaning that 8th place will be on 16 points come the end of the round.

A real chance to shore up our place in the 8.

1557185247425.png

I can recall Taranto being widely viewed by the ametuers watchers atleast, outside that top tier. Basically until GWS got their hands on those top picks anyways, then it’s started filtering out they were really keen on him, and justifiably by what he’s been producing.

I’ve got the same type of feelings for McGrath, can see him being somewhat unfairly judged over his career because of the two pick after him, if they continue on they’re trajectories. Still looks like being a really solid contributor that every team would love to have.

Been extremely pleasing watching McCluggage progress over his short career, don’t think we’re too far away from seeing that really elite game, 30+/3 goal type.

Speaking of the logjam; this week we have:
  • Freo V Richmond
  • Adelaide V Port
  • Saints V Eagles
...meaning that 8th place will be on 16 points come the end of the round.

A real chance to shore up our place in the 8.

View attachment 668966
And Lions v Bulldogs for the possibility of 2 games clear of 3 of the aforementioned teams.
Go the lions 🦁

I’ve got the same type of feelings for McGrath, can see him being somewhat unfairly judged over his career because of the two pick after him, if they continue on they’re trajectories. Still looks like being a really solid contributor that every team would love to have.
A bit like Ball in the Hodge and Judd draft. Not a bad player but just not at the level of the others around him

That's the downside of the number one pick, most teams play safe. Thankfully we went the Taranto (Rayner) option with our pick 1 rather than the McGrath (Brayshaw)

Must be misunderstanding the post? Our highest goalkicker is Hippy at 16th on the leagye with 12 goals
Have a look at how many goals they’ve kicked. There’s a bunch of players all on an equal tally of goals kicked.

Charlie, Hip, Lugga, Cam and Linc are all in the top ten (equal)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back