Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate of mine just messaged me; check your gas and water - anything suspect turn them off and call a plumber.
He's been through a few in NZ.
Seemed like sound advice.
Thanks mate, water didn't come out at right angles and the gas didn't blow my face off so I think I'm good

Thought this was interesting, happened yesterday.

"Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - South Pacific Ocean, New Zealand, on Tuesday, Sep 21, 2021 6:08 am (GMT +12) - 1 day 6 hours ago"

Apparently Chile just had a 6.3 and Japan also had one.
Upgraded ours to 6.0 and a shallow 10km depth.
Never felt anything like that in my life. And the rumbling 😳

No politics I know….
but some wag on Twitter posted “Dan’s even p*ssed off the Big Guy.”
🤣

Both were turned off months ago when you defaulted m8
Big words there hero, can't wait to see the look on your face when we meet up so I can sort you out. This earthquake was nothing compared to the violent shaking you'll be doing in those boots of yours champion. Say your prayers and just hope there's a god out there that will save you from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think Troy Schwarze launching one from outside 50 in 2004 was higher on the richter.

I recall an earthquake in the Sydney area many years ago. I was working fairly high up in an office tower and all of a studden it appeared my chair was moving. Thought to myself, am I having a turn, looked up and saw the tops of other buildings shaking, no its the world not me, a quake. Just as I relaxed, the power went and every woman in the office screamed.

The quake was to go on to cause me lots of work, ended up having to deal with some of the fallout from the Newcastle Workers Club pancaking due to the quake.

Last edited:
Whilst I'm late to the party...

Had some slight structural shifting, like maybe 1mm max only real casualty though was a couple picture frames fell over everything else just moved maybe 10 degree back and forth for like 20 odd seconds before it settled into running on the spot and just rattling. I was more concerned that we have like 60 glasses and a makeshift windowed bar set up and they were all teetering to just collapse is one foul swoop, but thankfully, the fact we haven't cleaned them in a hot minute meant the dust kept them rooted.

Been in 3 here;

2000ish in Swan Hill, that one was little bit less, but since more country orientated, s**t went flying and you ran away from anything that could fly.
2012 which was a Gippy one during the Olympics, we had an entertainment unit, I was resting my feet on it whilst watching said Olympics, it shook, I put my foot down, it was totally uneventful.
And this one, was the strongest one I've felt here, but it was more, if you planted yourself and generally moved with said movement, you just had shivers through your body like pins and needles almost. I of course was looking at the previous cracks in plaster and things that can easily smash and spread and s**t and know that I have to take care of an invalid old man so exit strategy had to be formed if it worsened and kept climbing.

That being said after all the hoohah, younger sister woke up, wondered what everyone was on about as she slept through it.

When our fence burned down, I had to stop my mother from basically running into where the flames were spreading, you know, by being forceful and loud to follow exit strategy in place. If I had to worry about a roof collapsing on me or going over broken glass in the process, it was not going to be pretty...

Not a great feeling being in that position again, not just considering yourself but defaulting to "wait, I'm a carer of another, F".

I had a colleague in Chapel street, so he got vacated, our DC had to also vacate just due to s**t moving and dropping, so, it's not as if there was no damage from it, I just got lucky being NW of Melb and they sucked just being more east than me to the epicentre.

I was at work when it happened. I was leaning on my workbench wondering why the thing was wobbling up and down. 5 seconds later everything else shook.

I had to stop what I was working on from falling off the table. Easilly the strongest one I've felt.

It wasn't much fun being on the 22nd floor when it started shaking, scared the sh1t out of me

I was in Tokyo on the third floor of a hotel with about 30 floors....that was nerve wracking.

I live near a train line and sometimes when the cargo ones go past the light fixture in my room shakes a little (tiny) so initially I thought it was that but then it got louder and louder and then I was worried the ceiling would collapse so I went out onto the balcony to at least not be under anything.
A couple of EMDs at the pointy end will do that. The EMD 645s engines on the VL class will shake anything.

A couple of EMDs at the pointy end will do that. The EMD 645s engines on the VL class will shake anything.

Are they really long big diesel things with low trucks on them? If they are I can hear those some mornings and I'm about 5 kms from the line they run on. They take about 5 minutes to get through the level crossings too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back