Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton will be fine. I'll laugh plenty.

Primed for deep finals runs for the next 5-7 years with Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Hewett, Cerra, Saad and Docherty all in the sweet spot in terms of age. And a proper coach in Voss.

Catch you around. :thumbsu:
Deep runs for 5 to 7 years how about not shitting the bed and making finals first. The gloating from your mob on here after 8-2 Was painful. People say Richmond supporters were unbearable after our flags, it will be nothing on your mob.... Thank God you guys are are not as good as you think.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Another prelim for Brisbane.

If they get Ashcroft AND Dunkley they will have rebuilt their midfield to continue to contend in the next few years.

Another prelim for Brisbane.

If they get Ashcroft AND Dunkley they will have rebuilt their midfield to continue to contend in the next few years.
Yep, depends on what the goal is: Future prospects or premiership, however think it is fair to say that based on the past 5 years that Brisbane has won. Been a lot of debate on when Brisbane and Carlton started their rebuilds but l think general consensus is that they were roughly a year/year and a half behind us. But we have been playing finals/top 2/top 4/prelims etc. Carlton have some decent players, and looks like they have a good coach now, they should have played finals this year, but they should be finals bound next year at least.

Brisbane, with the additions of Dunkley, hopefully, and Ashcroft should see us contend for quite a while. Also get Levi Ashcroft 2 years after Will.

Yep, their list management over this time I’d reluctantly have to say has been good.

Their forward line is potent and backline pretty solid. Bringing Dunkley and Ashcroft in immediately gives them more midfield depth.

Picking up Daniher for free and looking at a decent compo for McStay sees them play the FA game pretty well.

Dunkley and Ashcroft will be massive inclusions in the midfield. Considering zorks is spending less time in there and the sudden drop off in form from Lyons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talented under 23 brigade the Lions have now headlined by players such as McStay, Cutler, Taylor, Andrews, Schache, Hipwood, Mathieson, Witherden, Berry and McCluggage

This is a great example of why rebuilding through the draft alone doesn't work.

Brisbane's success has come from smart recruiting of established talent. Relying on that mediocre brigade would have had them battling for mid table scraps.

You must be bored

Cherry picking a post from May last year, and contributing to every Carlton thread on the main board

Not confident of Essendon making and or winning a final?

We have been compared to Essendon, Fremantle, Brisbane, GC, St Kilda and more in these types of threads.

None of those clubs have won the ultimate but still have plenty to say. Essendon supporters being some of the worst.

Surely the ultimate measure of a rebuild is premiership success. Not whether your improvement is linear or whether you fall short a week or two later than another. Until then the bumping of threads is silly.

You must be bored

Cherry picking a post from May last year, and contributing to every Carlton thread on the main board

Just funny laughing when even your president got called out and had to retract his statement hedging finals or bust

Thread is still about Carlton and Brisbane, stop deflecting and take it to the relevant thread if you’d like to take a pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been compared to Essendon, Fremantle, Brisbane, GC, St Kilda and more in these types of threads.

None of those clubs have won the ultimate but still have plenty to say. Essendon supporters being some of the worst.

Surely the ultimate measure of a rebuild is premiership success. Not whether your improvement is linear or whether you fall short a week or two later than another. Until then the bumping of threads is silly.

Haven’t we been told we’re a failure since winning a final is the be all and end all according to some of your cohort

I mean I count in premierships not September wins

Just funny laughing when even your president got called out and had to retract his statement hedging finals or bust

Thread is still about Carlton and Brisbane, stop deflecting and take it to the relevant thread if you’d like to take a pot

Glad you are up and about again Yoda, been a while since you have posted in these type of threads

You must be bored

I would say Essendon are exceeding expectations relative to where they are at in their journey. Not sure the same can be said about the mighty blues.

This was a great thread 6yrs ago when both clubs were in the same position. Since then we have unfortunately gone our separate ways!

I would say Essendon are exceeding expectations relative to where they are at in their journey. Not sure the same can be said about the mighty blues.

This was a great thread 6yrs ago when both clubs were in the same position. Since then we have unfortunately gone our separate ways!

Yeah, I witnessed the 2022 thread that had Essendon going past us

Lions are doing well at the moment, H&A results

Hopefully for you supporters, they don't capitulate again come finals

This is a great example of why rebuilding through the draft alone doesn't work.

Brisbane's success has come from smart recruiting of established talent. Relying on that mediocre brigade would have had them battling for mid table scraps.
the core of brisbane's current team were built through the draft - vast majority of our squad is talent brisbane has developed. but i do agree that smart identication of needs to make a more complete team has been essential. 6 of our 22 from our most recent game were gained through trading / free agency depending on how you consider McKenna

FB: Starcevich Andrews Lester
HB: McKenna Payne Coleman
C: McCluggage Dunkley Berry
Rovers: McInerney Neale Ashcroft
HF: Bailey Daniher McCarthy
F: Cameron Hipwood Gunston
IC: Rayner Sharp Wilmot Zorko

Very clearly needs focused trading here - once we identified we were in a window improving our midfield has been the main priority, having recruited neale and dunkley with lyons before him. Daniher a very important structural piece that we importantly did not have to give draft capital up for. Cameron was recruited before we were much chop but definitely filled a need in the team alongside mccarthy. Gunston handy to replace one of our drafted kpf's in McStay

Compare this to Carlton on the weekend

FB: Newman Weitering Young
HB: Docherty McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
Rovers: Pittonett Cerra Kennedy
HF: Motlop Silvagni Walsh
F: McKay Curnow Owies
IC: Curnow Boyd Cottrell Durdin

Higher portion of the team are players traded for and they seem to be in excess needs as well. Williams is sitting out the year injured, but is another in line for a HBF position at carlton with docherty, saad and newman who were all traded in as well. McGovern is OK when he is on and i know was recruited as a forward, but another lockdown defender to enable weitering to play his natural loose man intercepting game would be better. then theres an absolute glut of mids with similar attributes, with hewett not in the team currently as another slow, contested inside mid that was brought in through FA. a classy high half forward link player or a genuine pressure forward would make heaps of difference, but carlton have neglected this area. i guess jack martin exists?

ultimately however i think carltons multiple wasted drafts from 2017-2021 will be what hold them back from going to the next level. their young talent after walsh is rather poor and means the trading is being built on top of a weak foundation, whereas brisbane had a great foundation upon which gaps could be plugged more readily

Back