Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just a great time to be a Geelong supporter. Four flags in recent memory, the final stage of Kardinia Park's redevelopment finally complete and some stress-free viewing enjoying a collective of the most exciting young talent we've had in over a decade blossom. We were promised doom and gloom by all and sundry but falling off The Cliff™ has some serious upside to it from where I and plenty of other Geelong people are sitting.

It really is a great year. Nobody thought we were any chance of being competitive this year. And if we fall away we get to send off some champions of the club while we have great memories of 2022 and know the future is incredibly bright.

And if a miracle happens it'll be one of the great against the odds flag wins.

We think the group of players (29yo or younger) that has been mocked, ridiculed, berated and downgraded look to be enjoying their footy and making good, solid contributions. That is essentially it. For some reason it draws wildly furious reactions from a few.
Nah he’s right.

I think I’m Usain Bolt. To be honest I thought we all did?

They're not retiring any time soon are they, though? They addressed where the void was age-wise in our list. Take the 25-26 year olds out and there is basically no experience on the list once the 30+ers retire. Players that will see though the development of every current 18-21 year old for the next 5-8 years are important too. The list will keep getting younger year on year for the next few.
Good points there

It's just a great time to be a Geelong supporter. Four flags in recent memory, the final stage of Kardinia Park's redevelopment finally complete and some stress-free viewing enjoying a collective of the most exciting young talent we've had in over a decade blossom. We were promised doom and gloom by all and sundry but falling off The Cliff™ has some serious upside to it from where I and plenty of other Geelong people are sitting.

It is. Right up until you have to endure a Richmond supporter reminding you of the longest trail of finals carnage of any pair of teams in the competition's rich and long history. And it is gruesome.

Which I guess explains why all the Cats supporters here have to remind and reassure each other they are having a good time and everything is hunky dory.

You remember 4 flags. Many TIger supporters recall twice that many. You guys will get there, your last 4 flags took you 61 years, so 2085 not taking into account there are now more teams in the competition. But by then, the Tigers will have had their usual 5 flag epoch of course.

It must suck to be you really. :)

It is. Right up until you have to endure a Richmond supporter reminding you of the longest trail of finals carnage of any pair of teams in the competition's rich and long history. And it is gruesome.

Which I guess explains why all the Cats supporters here have to remind and reassure each other they are having a good time and everything is hunky dory.

You remember 4 flags. Many TIger supporters recall twice that many. You guys will get there, your last 4 flags took you 61 years, so 2085 not taking into account there are now more teams in the competition. But by then, the Tigers will have had their usual 5 flag epoch of course.

Let it all out my friend. :)

We're here for you mate. In 30 years the Tigers will have rebuilt for a finals assault. Don't you have a close nephew? Tell him to book September 2054 off.

This is a lot of words to just easily say they’ve gotten to you bud….

Your figures are all wrong again. You need to get a reliable source of information.

It really is a great year. Nobody thought we were any chance of being competitive this year. And if we fall away we get to send off some champions of the club while we have great memories of 2022 and know the future is incredibly bright.

Anyone with a clue knew you'd be competitive this year. Questionable midfield. But outstanding coach and outstanding at each end.

You won't win it this year, but Cats will do what they do and poach a topline midfielder and be a chance as soon as that happens.

Anyone with a clue knew you'd be competitive this year. Questionable midfield. But outstanding coach and outstanding at each end.

You won't win it this year, but Cats will do what they do and poach a topline midfielder and be a chance as soon as that happens.

A little revisionist on Geelong being competitive, it was certainly a contrarian opinion to put Geelong top 8.

I’m also not sold on the midfield being terrible. It’s taken a bit of tinkering but Bowes, Parfitt, and Bruhn have found some form. They’ve played a low TOG but on a per minute basis those four this season have been above average to good midfielders. I’m interested to see how that looks against better teams and with Guthrie and Dangerfield before passing judgement.

It won't last. I think we all know that but it's really a great achievement to hang around for as long as we have.

Collingwood have done it too. Been up and about for the best part of two decades now. Been some bleak years but they tend to challenge again fairly quickly.
Obviously Sydney who have virtually turned over their entire 2012 premiership team and are at it again.

A team like Richmond, you just know they will go missing for a very long time.
I mean the there are red flags right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some big names back in for the Tiges tonight.

Some old names back in for the Tiges.

Their lineup is on average a full 12 months older than the Demons.

You can understand it though. They're missing key players and were uncompetitive against West Coast's midfield. They need some experience around the ball and need to play their best team to be any chance tonight.

Hopper in for McAuliffe is a no brainer. McAuliffe just isn't ready to compete physically in his first year but he's had a taste.

Similarly Grimes in is a no brainer.

The worry is the younger players a few years into their careers who have been left out. Ryan and Sonsie are guys who showed a bit and should be breaking out at AFL level. But Ryan can't get a game while Lynch and Balta are both injured. Sonsie is dropped while Dow and Ralphsmith who look like delist material get games. You'd think if those 2 were showing anything at all they'd be the preferred options.

Some big names back in for the Tiges tonight.

Some old names back in for the Tiges.

Their lineup is on average a full 12 months older than the Demons.

Cats line up probably 12 years older than the Demons.

Of all the supporter groups to carry on abut a team with 15 injuries including a couple of senior players, Cats. :tearsofjoy:

I mean it’s only round 7 and you’ve played no one that anyone rated besides the dogs and lions, and both those sides aren’t exactly having good seasons. Anything could happen from here.

Of all the supporter groups to carry on abut a team with 15 injuries including a couple of senior players, Cats. :tearsofjoy:
Again, can we contain the trolling to the Geelong vs Richmond thread and just discuss things in here amicably?

I don't really get Grimes coming back in. Young and Miller have been doing decently enough (not perfect, but who expected perfect) as the KPDs. Brown is showing some good signs as a mobile intercepter. Broad and Vlastuin are good in that sense and can come across as third man up. Melbourne aren't stacked with strong KPFs. Kids are being sacrificed for selections like this though?

What on Earth has happened to Ryan? Last year he seemed to be one of Richmond's green shoots. There's no Lynch or Balta. But no room for Ryan?

Sonsie might not be delivering much lately but he at least showed he could play in 2022. Big Mac is the biggest lock there is though, so it seems impossible to have both Banks and Sonsie in the same team for prolonged periods.

What is the thinking behind bringing in Naismith to join Nank, who is a capable primary ruckman?

I just don't get some of these decisions.

You can understand it though. They're missing key players and were uncompetitive against West Coast's midfield. They need some experience around the ball and need to play their best team to be any chance tonight.

Hopper in for McAuliffe is a no brainer. McAuliffe just isn't ready to compete physically in his first year but he's had a taste.

Similarly Grimes in is a no brainer.

The worry is the younger players a few years into their careers who have been left out. Ryan and Sonsie are guys who showed a bit and should be breaking out at AFL level. But Ryan can't get a game while Lynch and Balta are both injured. Sonsie is dropped while Dow and Ralphsmith who look like delist material get games. You'd think if those 2 were showing anything at all they'd be the preferred options.
Ryan is seemingly ear marked as a future ruck but its pretty frustrating that he hasn’t been given a go with our outs as a relief ruck

He’s a tall campaigner so even if we plonk him forward he should at least bring it to ground and take a defender

Again, can we contain the trolling to the Geelong vs Richmond thread and just discuss things in here amicably?

I don't really get Grimes coming back in. Young and Miller have been doing decently enough (not perfect, but who expected perfect) as the KPDs. Brown is showing some good signs as a mobile intercepter. Broad and Vlastuin are good in that sense and can come across as third man up. Melbourne aren't stacked with strong KPFs. Kids are being sacrificed for selections like this though?

What on Earth has happened to Ryan? Last year he seemed to be one of Richmond's green shoots. There's no Lynch or Balta. But no room for Ryan?

Sonsie might not be delivering much lately but he at least showed he could play in 2022. Big Mac is the biggest lock there is though, so it seems impossible to have both Banks and Sonsie in the same team for prolonged periods.

What is the thinking behind bringing in Naismith to join Nank, who is a capable primary ruckman?

I just don't get some of these decisions.

Fair enough, Cats probably not 12 years older anyway, just need to keep you guys from getting too far ahead of yourselves for your own good. :)

Richmond has a lot of players around a similar level, some with upside and some with downside. But say Grimes, his inclusion probably allows Young a bit more chance to get off his opponent and develop that side of his game, which is showing a little bit of promise. Obviously Young being so new to the game let alone the level means both he and the club will still be exploring what he can be as a footballer. Miller is more of a known quantity.

Richmond has to the chagrin of many of our supporters been consistent with picking players who have proven records, even past their best. This has occurred under Hardwick, McQualter and now Yze, so there will be some club wide principle being adopted here.

Ryan you have to understand as a player to know what is going on. He is not an AFL forward. He is a ruckman who might take a contested grab and get you a goal when playing forward, but he is definitely not a forward. He is killing it in the VFL and will continue to develop there. But at this stage he is not going to play AFL ahead of the captain Nankervis. And Naismith is a fully mature player who has been sensational for Port last year and for us this year in the VFL. The club already knows what Ryan can produce at AFL level at this time. They need to find out about Naismith. Also with our midfield getting absolutely poleaxed by Eagles, it is a matter of providing as much support as possible for this shaky inside midfielders to see if that helps them. That will be why Naismith is in.

Sonsie and Banks - and other young players are obviously not complete AFL players. So as things arise they need to work on, they are sent back to VFL level to work on them, which as you have seen with players like Zuthrie etc, is the correct way to develop players. Sonsie longer term is an inside mid. So they will want him back at VFL level at times smashing it in that role getting used to dominating and using the ball well etc. He is just not quite ready to play as an inside mid at AFL level in our team. And laying him in a lower possession role for too long is likely to mean he will lose a bit of his ball use and decision making edge. Him playing VFL and getting 31 touches like today will be part of the overall development plan for him I am sure.

Ryan is seemingly ear marked as a future ruck but its pretty frustrating that he hasn’t been given a go with our outs as a relief ruck

He’s a tall campaigner so even if we plonk him forward he should at least bring it to ground and take a defender

Giving Kosi a crack as a genuine key forward I guess made sense even though nothing I've seen from him suggests he'll make it. But I'd love to know why they went Naismith over Ryan when you'd think they're similar players and Ryan might be part of your future while Naismith won't be.

Both our teams played the Lions in our most recent games. The cats were a whole 230 days older on average than the Demons. Wow. Cool.
Basically means if both sets of players were assigned a ‘buddy’ 8 years earlier, it would be Geelong’s players buying the alcohol

Giving Kosi a crack as a genuine key forward I guess made sense even though nothing I've seen from him suggests he'll make it. But I'd love to know why they went Naismith over Ryan when you'd think they're similar players and Ryan might be part of your future while Naismith won't be.
Yeah I agree
Especially given the injury’s we have that has essentially destroyed any chance we are any kind of finals threat this year

Granted we probably weren’t ever really going to be but with a fit side we probably would of snuck into the 8

But as it stands for our season I would of just held Naismith as ruck cover for Nank

Seems the board still want us to be a competitive side so snare as many wins as possible for commercial reasons
I get it to an extent but as a nuff who understands that sometimes it’s more than your team winning every week for a list to improve I would be happy to cop the extra handful of losses that comes with a stronger youth policy

I mean it’s only round 7 and you’ve played no one that anyone rated besides the dogs and lions, and both those sides aren’t exactly having good seasons. Anything could happen from here.

I literally said "if a miracle happens" referring to our chances of winning the flag. How much less confident of the outcome do you want me to be?

It's a truly terrible standard game, but I actually like Richmond's non-veteran contingent tonight. If Hopper knew how to kick a football he'd be a gun. MRJ, Ralphsmith, Young, Dow and Brown have all been pretty good.

Back