The RUSH thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know any Rush (apart from Tom Sawyer) and they have been one band i've wanted to get into for some time. My friend gave me their discography a while ago but i havent got around listening to them yet.

I'm going to the States in July and as luck would have it, they are playing a concert in one of the cities im visiting while i am there as part of their 40th anniversary tour. So now is the perfect time to start listening!

Can anybody give me some albums they would recommend i start with?

Firstly, you campaigner. Secondly, Moving Pictures, 2112 and Permanent Waves would be the ones to start with, then go to the earlier ones. The recent ones Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are also very decent, maybe try and get one of the live albums/DVDs to give you a good overview of their material.

are there seriously no Rush fans here at all?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??

The whole Irish accent inside joke thing are the worst parts of Rudd movies. This scene in particular I just find so awkward.

Firstly, you campaigner. Secondly, Moving Pictures, 2112 and Permanent Waves would be the ones to start with, then go to the earlier ones. The recent ones Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are also very decent, maybe try and get one of the live albums/DVDs to give you a good overview of their material.

Cheers for the advice mate. Sounds a good place to start. Time to get listening.

Watched a doco on them last night and yeah it's finally time i give them a go, so i'll listen to some albums over the weekend.

Huge live band. Early stuff is very good, newer stuff at time underrated. Love Presto from the enwer stuff, but it actually is pretty old by now as well...

Last edited:
Grew up with this band,first heard em in 1980 when Permanent Waves was blasting from Central Station Records,a store under the Princes Bridge station ran by a metal Melbourne icon Greta Tate.

As a drummer,I was obsessed with Peart and played to all the records especially Moving Pictures which to me is there finest record,Hemispheres is fantastic also,I also love Geddy’s songs like Cinderella Man from A Farewell To Kings.

I have all the old stuff on vinyl here,I bought 2 Moving Pictures as I wore the first one out,one has a white inner sleeve and the other a black.

I remember buying temple blocks and wind chimes,a band I was in (Prelude) did two covers of Rush songs,Limelight and Xanadu,I was a metal head but massive progger as well,Genesis,Yes,Rush,Crimson,Floyd,Tull,PFM,Focus brilliant music.

I forgot the genius Frank Zappa!

If anyone wants to have a jam and is proficient at their instrument,I would love too.

I love the different time sigs in prog but my fav part of prog are the epic keyboards,analog synths,mellotron,hammond organ,rhodes piano,taurus bass pedals.

Goosebumps!

Last edited:
I think he's fantastic, especially managing those ridiculous bass lines and singing over the top. He sings well, so it's not a criticism of his talent. It's just, yeah, an acquired taste.

I think he sounds really good on 'Signals'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The late 80's and 90's stuff was hard to get into, sounds very dated now.

Just appreciate it for the era it was released. The live release of A Show Of Hands is worth a watch.

For live music, do your self a favour and listen to Exit Stage Left album release. They were in their prime during those performances. La Villa Strangiato live on this album is awesome and Alex Lifeson's guitar solo is sublime.

As far as their more modern releases, the pick of the bunch IMO is Counterparts, Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels.

Not a massive fan in general, but Red Barchetta is a gem.

Some good songs on Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, when they moved to a more accessible, hard rock style.

Up there with the best drummers ever IMO.

His playing on Tom Sawyer is downright iconic for mine.

RIP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back