The Smashing Pumpkins: a Top 30

Remove this Banner Ad

In March 1996 I saw the Pumpkins at the old Glasshouse in Melbourne. They were at the top of their game at this point, doing their Mellon Collie tour. The mosh pit was filled with angry teenagers like me lol, and it was insane. I was wearing 3 t-shirts, one I arrived in, one I bought and another I bought for a mate overseas. I nearly passed out at one point I was so hot and had the St Johns kids looking after me, they were busy all night. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Two months later at a show in Ireland a girl died in the mosh pit after being crushed.

Two months after that, Jimmy Chamberlin OD'd along with the touring keyboardist Jonny Melvoin who never woke up. JC was then booted from the band.

I won't say it's been all downhill since around that time in Melbourne as there's been some great stuff since, but it was the end of their original awesome chapter.

Anyway, here's a top 30. There's a few colourful choices in the 20-30 range, then after that every song is just such quality I love them all.

Monuments to an Elegy, their 2014 album is the only one not represented. I don't hate it, it's actually a very easy listen but nothing to make my top 30.

------------
  1. Mayonaise
  2. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
  3. Hummer
  4. Stand Inside Your Love
  5. 1979
  6. Disarm
  7. **** you
  8. Zero
  9. Cherub Rock
  10. Tonight, Tonight
  11. Thru the eyes of Ruby
  12. Oceania
  13. Starla
  14. Here is no why
  15. Bodies
  16. Ava Adore
  17. Where boys fear to tred
  18. Soma
  19. A song for a son
  20. Tear
  21. Pinwheels
  22. One diamond, one heart/33
  23. Drown
  24. Today
  25. Bullet with Butterfly Wings/The Everlasting Gaze
  26. Snail
  27. The Beginning is the end is the beginning
  28. Rhinoceros
  29. Rocket
  30. 7 shades of black
----------

30 - 7 Shades of Black (Zeitgeist 2007)

I love the relentless pace of this song. It's a cross between Jellybelly and Where Boys Fear to Tread and wouldn't have been out of place on Mellon Collie.

Last edited:
It's about bloody time

This will be good. One of my favourite bands, despite Corgin's douchebaggery.

And I agree that Rocket is too low.

Or too high.

Hmm.

I think Rocket should be closer to the number one spot? Yeah.

Now that he is old and fat and goes by "William", he has lost some of that douchebaginess.

Did anyone else watch his 30 days docco? I thought it was excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not all that familiar with their post-Mellon Collie work. Loved the early stuff. The soundtrack to my school years. I remember reading an article that around the time Mellon Collie was released Corgan wanted the band to take things to the next level and all have a character name with costumes, a bit like Ziggy Stardust. The band were like Errr... I don't think so, Billy. His silver jumpsuit was all that was left of his grand plan and things weren't quite the same after that. Became more a solo project.

In no particular order... pretty generic, but 33, 79 and drown would be my top 3.

Rhinoceros
Cherub rock
Thirty three
Rocket
Siva
Mayonnaise
Drown
Tonight tonight
Zero
today
Bullet
Ava adore
Snail
Disarm

27 - The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning (Batman and Robin soundtrack - 1997)

I am master of a nothing place, of recoil, and grace.

This basically slowed down version of the up tempo "The End Is The Beginning Is the End" single released for the awful Batman and Robin movie, was basically unnoticed until Zach Snyder used it for his Watchmen trailer in 2009. It's a perfect fit for this darker, moodier, song, Corgan had fortunately written it inspired by old 1940s comics, not the crappy 1990s films.

The trailer was so popular that the song itself made the top 100 iTunes chart 12 years on, and the band added it to their concert setlist for a while. It's like the song has found its true home.

This extended clip created here is brilliant:

25 (Equal) - The Everlasting Gaze (Machina/The Machines of God - 2000

AND

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - 1995)

Time for some controversy! Particularly with Bullet. I like these songs but, well there's just so many others I like more. Bullet hasn't aged well imo but even when released i much preferred other songs on the album.

Everlasting Gaze is quite similar and a pretty cracking rock track but doesnt make my top 20 either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back