The stand rule. Do you like it?

Do you like the stand rule?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd like to get a feel for how supporters of other clubs feel about the rule.

I don't think you'd find a tigers fan that doesn't despise it so there's not much point discussing it over there. I think it's mostly because it coincides with the demise of our dynasty and the fact most on the Richmond board think that there is a legitimate conspiracy against our club from the AFL and Hocking who introduced the rule. Now I don't subscribe to that theory but I'm nearly one out in that regard it so I'd like to hear the opinions of supporters of other clubs. I've got a hardcore Dees mate that surprise, surprise absolutely loves it. He reckons the game has never been better :rolleyes:

I've hated the rule since before a ball was bounced last season (and before we sucked ;)). I hate the optics of it, I hate sound of it and I hate the contentious 50m penalties it's creating (plus I think 50m is far to great a penalty for most rule breaches but that's for another day). I think it's a terrible look having the man on the mark stand still like a statue within scoring distance while their opponent runs around unimpeded and has a kick for goal. I think it's a terrible look having players scrambling to get outside 5m to get back and help defend, leaving the bloke with the ball without a man. Clearly the dogs are most guilty of this tactic and I'm not sure it even works as a tactic but * me it just looks dumb. I hate how players now are feigning to give off a handball to try and suck the man on the mark in to taking a step too early. This happens multiple times every game and I hate that the players are falling for it regularly too. That isn't footy.

Sure, it may have slightly promoted ball movement but overall I don't think the game is any better off, at best. There was nothing wrong with the old rule. Do what you want, just don't go over the ******* mark. Pretty simple. As it stands now 5 meters is too hard to judge in an instant, the "2-3 seconds" players have to scram or stand still varies between umps and between moments in games and the time it takes for the ump to call play on, thus allowing the man on the mark to wake up varies between ump to ump. Players don't hear the ump call stand over the crowd noise quite often. STAND, STAND, STAND, OUTSIDE FIVE, OUTSIDE FIVE, STAND, PLAY ON. Drives me ******* nuts.

So....do you like it? And why. do you think the coaches and clubs prefer it? If not, would the AFL have the balls to admit they ****ed up for once and remove it?

Personally not a big fan. The issue that I find is that a player very rarely kicks exactly over the mark (either around the ground or in front of goal). I'm not talking about turning 45 degrees and playing on - just a set kick alone a player will often be almost a metre either side of the mark as they kick.

This brings up the issue. Prior to the change, nobody would have an issue and the game would roll on.

Now if there's a set kick around the ground and a player does move maybe 20-30 cm either side of the mark, the player on the mark gives me a look to kill if I don't call play on. But if that happens in front of goal and a player does side step 10cm as he kicks after the siren and we DO call play on.....

I just find now that the player on the mark doesn't think we call play on enough yet the kicker thinks we call it too much. Another example of a rule change to fix something that wasn't really broken but creates a few more issues in it's wake.

I can see the point of it, but, it's just not footy. AFL plz trial your shitty adjustments in a lesser league before polluting the highest level. We've all (actually, no, no-one watched that dross) seen AFLX but as yet there have been no repurcussions against those involved. Take your BS rules, overpaid selves and go.

Richmond got two VERY tiggy-touchwood 50-metre penalties from the stand rule on the weekend that both led directly to goals. Game was very tight at that point (scores level). Good argument they were critical to the flow of the game.

I absolutely hate the rule. It's an complete abomination designed to try and create more goals (because that's all dumb football fans want to see, right?).

The player with the ball (from mark or free kick) already has a protected zone - that's the reward for a mark or free kick. To then apply another penalty on a specific defensive player (the one closest) is un-necessary and inconsistent.

Why not apply the 'stand' rule to EVERY defender on the field at the time - it makes as much sense, and would really open the game up to more scoring. (PS - I'm joking AFL, please don't read this and - oh, s**t, I've done it now).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. And the protected zone I don't like either.

The stand rule should allow for lateral movement. Sort of like an off-side (dirty word for some fans). Can move across the field, but can't go at a 45 degree angle. Simple.

Protected zone should be play exclusion. Ie. A player can run through the z9ne, but cannot impact the play

No. And the protected zone I don't like either.

The stand rule should allow for lateral movement. Sort of like an off-side (dirty word for some fans). Can move across the field, but can't go at a 45 degree angle. Simple.

Protected zone should be play exclusion. Ie. A player can run through the z9ne, but cannot impact the play

Just what we need more umpire “interpretations”. I’d rather make is as simple as possible and as black and white as can be.

I don't think you'd find a tigers fan that doesn't despise it so there's not much point discussing it over there. I think it's mostly because it coincides with the demise of our dynasty and the fact most on the Richmond board think that there is a legitimate conspiracy against our club from the AFL and Hocking who introduced the rule. Now I don't subscribe to that theory but I'm nearly one out in that regard it so I'd like to hear the opinions of supporters of other clubs. I've got a hardcore Dees mate that surprise, surprise absolutely loves it. He reckons the game has never been better :rolleyes:

honestly, it wasn't Richmond who caused this rule, they just utilized the tactic which came out of Hawthorn in their three peat to shut down people kicking sideways into the corridor. Was a blight on the game i'm glad they have bought in this rule.

honestly, it wasn't Richmond who caused this rule, they just utilized the tactic which came out of Hawthorn in their three peat to shut down people kicking sideways into the corridor. Was a blight on the game i'm glad they have bought in this rule.
So it wasn't Richmond - it was Richmond copying Hawthorn - but the AFL did nothing about it for five years and Richmond did it? You sound like one of those Freo supporters in a constant state of confusion
after losing count of all their flags.

I've hated the rule since before a ball was bounced last season (and before we sucked ;)). I hate the optics of it, I hate sound of it and I hate the contentious 50m penalties it's creating (plus I think 50m is far to great a penalty for most rule breaches but that's for another day). I think it's a terrible look having the man on the mark stand still like a statue within scoring distance while their opponent runs around unimpeded and has a kick for goal. I think it's a terrible look having players scrambling to get outside 5m to get back and help defend, leaving the bloke with the ball without a man. Clearly the dogs are most guilty of this tactic and I'm not sure it even works as a tactic but fu** me it just looks dumb. I hate how players now are feigning to give off a handball to try and suck the man on the mark in to taking a step too early. This happens multiple times every game and I hate that the players are falling for it regularly too. That isn't footy.

Sure, it may have slightly promoted ball movement but overall I don't think the game is any better off, at best. There was nothing wrong with the old rule. Do what you want, just don't go over the ******* mark. Pretty simple. As it stands now 5 meters is too hard to judge in an instant, the "2-3 seconds" players have to scram or stand still varies between umps and between moments in games and the time it takes for the ump to call play on, thus allowing the man on the mark to wake up varies between ump to ump. Players don't hear the ump call stand over the crowd noise quite often. STAND, STAND, STAND, OUTSIDE FIVE, OUTSIDE FIVE, STAND, PLAY ON. Drives me ******* nuts.

So....do you like it? And why. do you think the coaches and clubs prefer it? If not, would the AFL have the balls to admit they f’ed up for once and remove it?
The 2 50's we were pinged for on saturday...I mean the first just wasnt there, dogs player was already backpedalling when told to stand. Totally BS call, Bevo said wed chase it up, what as the result? Crickets. And Naughto getting sucked in, the tiges player clearly moved to handball, that should be called play on every time.

Hate it.

Just like I hate the ruck nomination calling which came in after we used the third man up to our advantage during 2016.

The 2 50's we were pinged for on saturday...I mean the first just wasnt there, dogs player was already backpedalling when told to stand. Totally BS call, Bevo said wed chase it up, what as the result? Crickets. And Naughto getting sucked in, the tiges player clearly moved to handball, that should be called play on every time.

Hate it.

Just like I hate the ruck nomination calling which came in after we used the third man up to our advantage during 2016.
I don't agree, I think they we're both the correct calls of a shitty rule. The Bailey Williams one he didn't move back straight away, there was a pause once he got up then he started moving about the same time as the ump called stand. It was stiff but how long do we wait for the bloke to decide he wants to move outside 5m? I think it's a shocking tactic the bulldogs are running with anyway but it's just too hard for the umps to adjudicate now. The 3 seconds is from when the man takes the mark, which muddies the water when the opponent has fallen over like Williams did. Is the time it take to stand up included in the 3 seconds? It has to be, otherwise we'll see blokes taking that extra second or two to get up while their team mates rush back. It's a ******* circus. Here's an idea....The man on the mark can do what they want......EXCEPT GO OVER THE MARK. What a novel idea :$

The Naughton one is pretty clear to me, Prestia didn't go off his line, that's never been play on. Correct call...even though I hate the look of players baiting the man on the mark to move early. Naughton got sucked in.

The Naughton one is pretty clear to me, Prestia didn't go off his line, that's never been play on. Correct call...even though I hate the look of players baiting the man on the mark to move early. Naughton got sucked in.
See I'm not sure Prestia was even baiting Naughton there. There was a Richmond team mate running past for the handball receive. I think that situation would've played out exactly the same if we didn't have the stand rule.

Prestia goes to handball to the player running past, Naughton goes to move to block off that player so Prestia decides not to complete the handball to the player running past.

If Naughton doesn't move off the mark, the handball is given and the other Richmond player runs off with the ball.

What the stand rule does is make that handball option viable for Prestia, its all made possible because of the delay in the umpire calling play on for Naughton to move.

The rule starts failing in its purpose as the umpires get slacker on making a player stand the mark.

Back